xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
itrainmonkeys

Facebook....the New Os or something similar

Facebook's new face

The social networking company now wants to become a place for anyone to build applications for social computing. Fortune got an inside look.

click here for the article

source: CNN.com

So what do you guys think? The expansion is a huge step for the company and I see them growing more than MySpace at this rate. I never would have imagined this for Facebook.....but they have big goals in mind apparently.

Thoughts?

Edited by itrainmonkeys (see edit history)

I would have never imagined Facebook to make such a move like this. One day I log in to Facebook and there are these applications that I can use. You can put songs on your facebook profile and slideshows, chat boxes, and whatever but still keeping facebook neat and clean interface. They have like flash integrated software to use maybe for chatting or whatever. I've seen Marketplace come up on Facebook. That looks very useful. Myspace and its "marketplace" like page doesn't seem really trustful because Myspace doesn't really have like a solid background to begin with. Facebook is more for organizations, companies, and schools. I think its great they're going another route in web development of the social network.

Like perhaps Bebo or something, developers can also write their own applications for Faebook and submit them.Facebook has a lot of advantage's over previous networks because it is far more secure, with the ability to customize exactly what others/your friends see about you, the applications add all sorts of fun or practical functionality to your homepage, and it is no longer aimed at just students at uni, but rather expanded to include businesses!Unlike many of the other social networks though, Facebook is fast loading as it is both well scripted, and doesn't have a ton of random rubbish themes etc.Being on Facebook, all I can say is: it beats all other network's that I've used....easily!

I would have never seen facebook beating out myspace. I always found myspace better becuase it is more customizable. But now facebook is coming out with all these applications so it very well could happen. But i guess we will have to wait and see.

Facebook rocks. Hard.I was bent upon orkut due to its simplicity. But a friend invited me to Facebook.Since then I have been inviting all my friends to Facebook too.Myspace is good too but too cluttered.

Personally, i have always like facebook better than myspace because of two things. First of all, you can't edit your background color, font, etc so in the end you actually can read peoples pages unlike many myspaces. Secondly, you limit who can see what and what information you easily recieve from others. For instance, i want to know relationship status of my friends because i think it is important. Therefore, i get more notices about those than pictures for instance. Also, the new applications actually are really fun and add a lot me time for me to spend on the site when i am bored or killing time.