xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
velma

Which Is Your Funniest Or Most Disappointing Cooking Disaster? Tell me the fun and the sad times of a cookout gone wrong

I'm beginning to see a theme here: Start something cooking on the stove. Get distracted. Walk away. Come back to a bad bad scene. Let this serve as a warning, never leave your cooking until it's done! :lol:

Not basically a cooking disaster but uses cooking items. Some days back, we had a school project and our group decided to make a erupting volcano (Yeah the old one). We took Vinegar and baking Soda. In the school when we had to show the project to the class, we put vinegar and baking soda. It didn't erupt at all. We added some more baking soda but still the same result. We tried many methods but it didn't work. Finally I put my eye in the hole of the volcano and it suddenly erupt! :lol: That was too funny! All the food colouring and vinegar was on my face and everyone was laughing! Too disasterous. It could have damaged my eye but it closed the moment it burst, leaving all the waste ingredients out of my eye.

Hey,Nice one Ishbir. I remember a time when I was asked to boil the milk and again I get distracted because of a neighbor in distress, by the time I helped her out and returned the milk had burnt to a cinder and It was stuck to the milk pot. If my mom had seen it she would have fainted but then I sat for two hours trying to get the god damn thing off and I tried a lot of stuff..vinegar,baking soda, lemons, salt and dish soap.I finally got that thing off and my mom was told that I finished off the milk. A whole litre. :lol:

This happened a bit recently. Its not really much though. I was cooking rice and I accidently put alot of rice in with a not much water past the rice. I wasn't really paying attention. So I put in the rice cooker. After it was done and beeping I got up from my spot and opened it and found dry rice and then I saw how much rice I put in. Our family of 5 couldn't even finish it. To fix it I just put more water in and recooked it. I was pretty much been yelled only by my older sister. xP

After reading your stories, I really need to share mine, which my husband and I have entitled "The Incredible Exploding Pot."One of the ways to melt chocolate is to cook it on a double boiler, meaning that you pour some water in the bottom pot so that the top on gets the heat off the boiling water and won't burn or, at least, not as quickly. I didn't have a double boiler, so I just found another pot that fit snuggly on top. I got tired after whipping up a couple batches of brownies, so I just left the pots on the stove to clean up later. The thing about metal is that it expands when hot and contracts when it cools, so the pots, needless to say, got stuck together because the bottom pot contracted more quickly than the top. I tried to pry them apart by hand, poured warm water over the seam, tried heating the bottom one back up, all with the same result - still stuck. I finally remembered that little science lesson and decided to throw some cold water into the top pot while the bottom pot was boiling. And it worked! About five seconds later, the top pot rockets through the air with a bang, showering the kitchen with lukewarm, chocolatey water and clatters to the floor, with only a slight bubble on the bottom as a reminder of my mishap.

Hey,The Exploding pot was good. I remember once my dad got food from a restaurant and it was in an aluminum case. We ate some of the food the same day and the next morning I felt like having some of those leftovers and I put in the aluminum case in the microwave.(My dad supposedly thought that it was ok and there is no arguing with dear old dad :)) After putting the food in the microwave for a few seconds all was ok but when the end of the case came in contact with the walls of the microwave we could hear sounds and see sparks out of our microwave.Everyone panicked and switched off the Microwave but there is still a black mark indicating that incident :)

Mine would have to be setting of the fire suppression system whilst baking a cake lol... i left it in the oven for to long so it started to burn... the smoke came out the top vent and into the fire alarm... which in turn left me with a nice white blanket of powder on the kitchen floor and cupboards... The cake still tasted nice though lol

Edited by CrazyRob (see edit history)

Now that's a funny topic! :) I had so many cooking disasters that I can't count them on one hand :) The worse, I guess, was the one when I spilled boiling water somehow all over the place and it went down underneath the table...My mum went crazy ;) There were many more, but I don't have time right now to count them all...hehe! I am not a good cook so I need a very skillful lady :)

oh i have another one. it was during my older brother's birthday. if i remember correctly it was around 3 years ago. after my friend's birthday blowout to a movie, i went to the supermarket to buy the ingredients for the pasta i was supposed to be cooking later that day. i'm usually responsible for cooking dishes during birthdays or celebrations at home. so when i came back home, i started cooking the white sauce for the pasta. the sauce requires cheese to be mixed constantly while the sauce comes up to a simmer. i was watching tv back then so i just had to go back on the living room to watch. when i came back, the cheese started to settle at the bottom of the pot. trying to save what's left of the cheese, i had to scrape it and mix the entire thing again. what's wrong with this was that the cheese started to burn and since i've mixed it up already, the entire sauce had this burnt taste. i believe everyone who ate the pasta didn't gave any reactions when they tasted it. it was one of my worst cooking experiences. i love to cook that's why failing in such makes me sad. and to think that was during my brother's birthday.

I am at best, a mediocre cook. My better half is the cook in this family. We were going to a club meeting pot luck dinner one night and he had made some fantastic coconut creme pies, complete with homemade merangue (I don't spell much better than I cook) on top. The merangue just needed to be browned up a bit. He asked me to watch them for 5 minutes. JUST 5 minutes while he took a shower and got ready to go. Yup, you guessed it, I let it burn. I have still not lived that one down. Then there was the time I wanted to shake a little garlic into a pot of something I was fixing and the lid came off and the whole container (3-4 oz) went in the pot. Boy was that every yummy!

Then there was the time I wanted to shake a little garlic into a pot of something I was fixing and the lid came off and the whole container (3-4 oz) went in the pot. Boy was that every yummy!

My friend would have loved that dish no matter what it was. She'll eat almost anything if there's enough garlic on it. We even went to this restaurant in Beverly Hills called The Stinking Rose that serves everything with tons of garlic. They also have a vampire menu for people that don't like garlic, but there's all the garlic aroma in the air that it's bound to flavor everything that's served.Anyways, I have to confess to another mishap in the kitchen. I accidently started a grease fire, but luckily it was contained in a pot with a lid, so it wasn't as bad. I was trying to heat up some oil to fry some rice in, but I guess the flame was too high, and it caught fire before I knew it. Luckily, I had the lid handy and covered it up quickly. NEVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT A GREASE FIRE. By the way, the smell of burning cooking oil is terrible.

Aaaah... Cooking disasters, I am a brilliant cook but sometimes while experimenting I tend to either destroy half the kitchen, myself or Igor (the unlucky sap who volunteers to help). The incident involves a toaster & a PLASTIC tub of butter, my best friend & pets were really hungry so I decided to make an omelette & toast for my best friend. The dilemma?? someone had placed the tub of butter inside the FREEZER, I am yet to find & impale the culprit >_>. I felt the need to multi task so I dropped the batter in the pan, started the toaster AND stuck the tub right next to the toaster so that the butter could soften... YES I DID IT!! I ran upstairs to feed the hungry mongrels & forgot about the butter. When I come back downstairs I find smoke (the eggs had burnt), my best friend sitting calmly in front of the computer some 10-20 feet away. As I prepared to kill him a shiver ran down my spine, I just noticed the tub of butter.. The butter AND the plastic can had softened!! the tub was stuck firmly to the toaster...

One time some of my parents friends came to our place for lunch without telling us before. So we had to quickly whip up a meal for them. My mom told me to boil some eggs. So I put 4 eggs in a bowl and half filled it water and then I put it in the MICROWAVE. Never knew what would happen. So I switched it on and went away. Then I heard some weird noises coming from my oven and i took a look and it was horrible. The eggs have blown up inside the microwave and only one egg remained un-cracked.Mom saw the whole mess, but did not panic a lot. Finally I took the shell of the boiled egg and then served it to the guests. One guy just took the egg and started to cut it in to two. It blew up at his face covering him with egg parts!!!!!!I lived through it though. :lol:

I always wanted to be a good cook and therefore I have been trying to cope for quite a long time. my mother would always come up with new recipes and teach me how to cook. I always enjoyed cooking with my mother. I learnt quite a lot of the recipes and am quite confident that I can do them again without any problem or even my mother's help. It was last summer when my cousin brother visited me. My mother went to our hometown and so I was the only one left here to cook. My father never cooked. My cousin brother brought some chicken and wanted to to have chilli chicken. I wasn't too sure about the recipe but I knew and saw my mother making once. I thought to give it a try. I made a wrong decision. Though my cousin helped me in getting the recipes and other items for making chilli chicken, I made some mistake in choosing what to be added at what time. Everything seemed normal while cooking but as usual the masala must go at the right time. It was such a pathetic one. It tasted just horrible. I still can't figure out what went wrong, which item I did extra. It was spicy though.Next month when my cousin came again my mother was there and I was rescued. Today I know how and what to do when preparing chilli chicken. I made it next time and my cousin was really happy.

Edited by buxgoddess (see edit history)

Now this is not exactly a disaster but I remember 2 more incidents but this involves my best friend and my mom. My mom has this habit of leaving the ladle inside the pot while it boils/cooks/stews and there are many victims who have had their skin peeled off along with mine :lol: she normally uses a complete metal ladle but once dad got these fancy ladles with plastic handles. Mom in her usual routine left the ladle in forgetting that the handle was plastic. When she came back to check on the soup after 20 minutes she saw to her horror that the plastic in all it's molten glory had not only stuck itself to the pot BUT had oozed into the pot.

Dad was kinda confused when he heard us bawling in the kitchen but when he saw the soup, he rushed to remove the ladle but did not notice the state that the ladle was in... His hand got stuck to the ladle :P and as he pulled his hand back the whole soup came crashing on my feet. Me and my dad were pampered for the next week.. Yet mom still continues with the ladle heating :)

My best friend is not a good cook even though he wants to be one, i normally do not let anyone cook as I love cooking alone but once when I was down with a fever my best friend decided to make me some herbal tea. He noted down the instructions as to how to prepare the tea, he said to me while handing me my tea that he added all the right ingredients at the right time but he felt that he had forgotten SOMETHING... I realized what that something was, it was SUGAR. He also added too much of the herbs so the tea tasted like a cross between hot sauce, boiled rice & bland oatmeal... It helped I guess because I had a runny nose for half an hour and then my fever just vanished...

My best friend till date is not allowed to cook without my supervision :XD:

Edited by Tenshi (see edit history)