xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
velma

Which Is Your Funniest Or Most Disappointing Cooking Disaster? Tell me the fun and the sad times of a cookout gone wrong

I think my most famously disastrous cooking moment occurred when I was attempting to make Bruschetta. As you may know, Bruschetta uses slices of toasted baker's bread along with deli meats, cheeses, tomatoes, pesto, basil, or any combination of such ingredients as topping.Well, when I was toasting the artisan bread I bought, I accidentally left it in at max temperature (450f or so) for ten minutes -- or longer perhaps. When I remembered to check my bread, the toaster oven was filled with smoke and a slight glow. Of course, I should of just unplugged the thing right there and got a pot of water ready, but being the fool I was, I decided to open it to try and take the bread out immediately. Well, as soon as I pulled the door down, I allowed a gust of fresh oxygen inside the unit which basically caused a chemical chain reaction to occur, creating a sudden uproar of fire that belched forth from the door of the toaster oven in the form of a vicious fireball that hit my chest.It wasn't particularly painful or anything, but it was definitely alarming -- especially considering the whole unit was up in flames now... the source being some small slices of basic wheat bread.Basically, I had to just pull the sink sprayer out from the base and hose the thing down until it was extinguished. Even though the fire was taken care of, it certainly did nothing to prevent my apartment from filling up with a terrible black smoke that left a smell which lasted for weeks. At least the landlord never found out! :lol: