xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

My Father

:) ok, so the other day me and my dad started talking about me driving (have been for two years now) and we got on the topic of, why am i waiting to take drivers training when i have already taken drivers education. And i explained to him, possibly because i have absolutely no experiance driving at all. and he said it's a lie, I've taken you out to drive many times (2 times in actuality) you should know how to drive by now!so naturally i have to come back and tell him that it was two times, in a parking lot and for maybe 30min-an hour. then he said that he shouldn't have to teach me how to drive, that is what the drivers training classes are for. and he also said he wasn't going to teach me how to drive any more until i get my permit. well at this point i'm like OMG i need to have a basic knowledge of how to drive on the road before i take the drivers training classes unless you want me to fork out 600 bucks for two courses instead of one course just because you refuse to teach me how to drive.i called the drivers training school just a minute ago and they said that i do now have to have any experiance at all, but it is highly advised so you don't have to pay for two classes because that is what most have to do when they come in with no experiance.so I'm like joyful, my dad has to be the odd-ball and not teach me how to drive like most every parent in the history of the world has done for their kids.:) i dont know if he is just being lazy, or an *bottom* about it :(

My Dad didn't teach me how to drive either. How could he? We used to drive the 'second car' around town at night while he was working midnite shift.. mostly back roads away from street lights so nobody could see us... We would take the car to the Town Park for midnite swims, and then for a Burger and always had the car back in the driveway before he got home at 7 AM. Once we had to push it about a mile because we ran it out of gas... that wasn't fun... :):

Well now. As I see it, your father is too emotionally involved with you to be your teacher. Parents teaching children how to drive is usually a failure anyway. You can learn in driver training class. You might have to put a little extra effort into it just like all of us that were "experience challenged". When I took the training I had never been behind the steering wheel of a car at all, nor did I know how to shift gears. I learned in a stick shift to boot. Passed the course with flying colors, but my step-father wouldn't let me get a license because he didn't want another woman driver on the road. My half-brother got his license as soon as he turned 16. I didn't get a license until I was an adult (couldn't get one earlier because parents had to sign for you and mine wouldn't). Take the course, you can do it! Good Luck!

Hey, seems it's a lot more common for dads not to teach their kids how to drive than we think - mine didn't either, I learned with friends. Perhaps some friends of yours will help you out - guys who already know how to drive, I mean? Or perhaps you could ask some decent older person on your block to help you out with this problem? You know, if you have a problem, there's always someone out there who can and will help you with it. Is there a 'nice guy' on your block who you can just walk up to and say 'see, I have this problem, can you help me out.' Hey, if he refuses, ask someone else, until you find someone who WILL help you out. Ask people you know well, preferably - do you have any uncles/aunts who could teach you, for that matter? I agree that there's no sense in paying for two courses, but there's no sense in waiting for your dad to 'do his stuff' either. I'd say that if you can't climb the mountain, then find a way around it.

That stinks that your Dad won't help you learn to drive. I drive both my parents around though as did my 3 brothers before me. They don't mind it because they know that once we get our licenses we have to go and do chores for them every once in a while. Try and explain to your dad the benefits of you driving and him teaching you and the amount of money saved. Then again having the driver training courses may help cut down on the insurance you will have to pay if not but drivers ed already does that. Maybe a friend or their parents will help teach you how to drive if you ask around. Just a little time on the weekends to get you started at least. Good luck in any case.