xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

What Causes The Pms Mood Swings?

Okay, I noticed a couple weeks before i got "the end of a sentence" I'm all happy one minute, sad the next, and hating the world after that. I'd like to know what causes this. I've tried midol but it doesn't work. I want to know to see if there is a way to help cope with it.

Its the hormones. And Prostaglandins. During menstruation , there is sudden removal of Progesterone stimulation and high levels of prostaglandins and other inflammatory mediators. They are the cause for the pain, mood swings and everything associated with menstruation. NSAIDS help by inhibiting Prostaglandins. NSAIDS are over the counter pain killers. You can use them or try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. That would help.

I feel bad for females (starting from young age until the last cycle) for having this "pain" for the remainder of their lives. But also admire their ability to create something that cannot be copied even with our greatest technological achievements--to create life.There isn't any cure for PMS. But what you can do is to ease the process while undergoing PMS. I've heard that active life-style female deals with PMS better than less active female. Therefore, a regular exercise is good for your PMS duration. Although modern medicine may relieve certain pains, don't forget the good old fashioned medicine. A good night rest and healthy diet will go a long way.P.S. I'd be pissed and moody if my body felt like something was jammed up or ever-lasting bloating feeling all day long. Just imagine feeling constipated for 4~5 days while carrying 5 lbs of water and no bathroom in site... what can you do? It's a natural course of a female body.

Your body will change and change and change because you are getting older and EVERYthing changes. Sorry, but that's a fact of life.As for treatment, I've read a number of reports recently that claim that an increase in regular (as in daily) dairy-product intake (milk, yogurt, etc) will help reduce the signs of PMS. Other than that, there are homeopathic treatments (look for Hyland's Brand products) available in your local health food store (or online) that claim to help. I advice their PMS Reliever; it helps cramps for many, but doesn't do much for mood swings - but then again, everyone is different. Give it a try - the worst that will happen is you'll be out a couple of bucks.Mike

It's your hormones, lol, our (female) bodies undergo an imbalance just prior to the onset of our menstrual periods, and sadly many an innocent by-standing male has been the unfortunate recipient of our misdirected wrath which is why they tend to be nervous around us.My husband is the perfect example of this, lol, he gets really quiet, usually goes online to talk to anyone BUT me because he doesn't want to 'say the wrong thing & set me off! He's cute.

Its the hormones. And Prostaglandins. During menstruation , there is sudden removal of Progesterone stimulation and high levels of prostaglandins and other inflammatory mediators. They are the cause for the pain, mood swings and everything associated with menstruation. NSAIDS help by inhibiting Prostaglandins. NSAIDS are over the counter pain killers. You can use them or try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. That would help.

Thank you. I've never feared asking, now I know. Thank you.

Yup, that's exactly the cause. I've taken all this stuff in my biology course. When prostaglandins are released at a certain site of your body they'd cause inflammation and thus pain. Now concerning menstruation, once progesterone level drops down the exterior part your uterus is sloughed off and this causes alot of pain (because then there will be prostaglandins released there) and this is the reason why females bleed during menstruation.

And concerning the mood swings, it's certainly the hormones again. Hormones (especially sex hormones) have great effect on your body and your mood. And during menstruation or you PMS there's sudden fluctuation of your hormone amounts inside your body which will for no doubt induce the mood swings. My female friends often suffer the mood swings and they would be really annoying sometimes but thankfully I understand what happens to them perfectly and they would always be shocked once they are yelling at me for no reason and then out of a sudden I'd say "PMS?" lol I really feel sorry for you girls, I really can't imagine how much pain and suffer you go through during your menstruation, but that's life so live with it :D

While the symptoms are due to hormones, I've found that eating a healthy, low-fat/low-sugar diet and getting regular exercise really helps lessen the effects of PMS. I don't know how these things interact with the hormones exactly, but I have observed a noticable difference in how I feel. If I eat a lot of sugar and fat from processed foods, I'll get awful cramps and be ridiculously moody, but if I eat well, I only get a little moodly and usually no cramps. It's different for everyone, but try changing your diet and see how different things affect you.