xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dau1970

Any Surfers, Here?

Hi!

I live in Lisboa (Lisbon, if you prefer) and I started surfing last summer. From the first time I tried that I got immediately addicted. I surf mostly on Carcavelos beach, between Lisboa and Cascais. If you want to "take a look" just follow these links:

Carcavelos (on a huge day)

Carcavelos (perfect day)

Carcavelos (all pics)

The only problem is that it's too crowded. But hey... there are always more waves than surfers :)

Good waves for everyone!

I want to try surfing I'd probably get to scared. Haha. That wire that you clip around your ankle is what freaks me out. Is it supposed to break when you wipe out? Cause I'd think it'd cause some difficulties when trying to resurface. But then again that's just me being paranoid. Also, get nailed by your surfboard when you fall or something, lol. Stupid stuff like that.Very nice pics too. I live in Arizona so I'd have to go out of state to get some surf time.

I think that strap is so you don't get separated from your board. And since it floats, it would pull you up to the top in case you fell and couldn't find your way up to the surface.Makes sense to me, but being attached, would you be struck by the board more often? I don't know...

Hey,I would love to surf, My cousin has done it and has gotten stitches on his head :) . Nice pics you have there, Keep surfing :)Enjoy!

Surfing is just great, i reguarly surf down in cornwall when i get the chance. Only problem is it's dam cold in the winter here in the UK even now it is still a bit on the nippy side.

the strap is called the leash. and you're right, jlhaslip: it is very useful. surely you don't want to lose your board when you are a hundred meters from the shore. could (and will eventually) happen, sooner or later, because the material has a lifetime, like everything else in this life. that's why you pay more or less for it. i have a Dakine and, until this day, i'm happy with it. there are people who break their leashes once a year or so. anyway, many years ago, people didn't use it because it simply hadn't been invented. if you're interested in surf, i recommend a great movie about its history and spirit: Riding Giants.

hey, SNiped! UK is so close and you've got low cost flights now. why don't you plan some sort of a surf trip to Portugal? there's Algarve and Alentejo (the Costa Vicentina is beautiful - my favourite). and the water's fine. on the summer a 3/2 wetsuit is more than enough, problably too hot for you :)

I can't swim (can't even float - not enough body fat or something), so no. No surfing for me. I avoid large bodies of water...no matter how much fun the activity in question appears to be. :)

i surf mavericks and hermosa beach and i think its sick. the waves in mavericks are huge and the ones on hermosa are long riding. i take huge waves over long ones everyday because...more fun caatching the next one.