xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harshcpu

Install Windows Without A Cd-rom Drive

Does Anybody know how I can install windows without a cd-rom drive on an old laptop? The only removable drive is a floppy. Any help would be appreciated.

i really don't think that there is floppy version of windows after windows 95 or maybe 98. I think that those windows "consumed" about 50, maybe even more, floppy disks.You should probably try network boot, if your laptop has LAN card. Also maybe linux, of some sort.You should post your laptop specs so someone can direct you to proper OS.

there's a way for you to install windows without a cd installer or cd drive. you could create a boot disk from a diskette. there is a download-able file that creates a boot disk on a diskette. i think you need around 4 diskettes if i'm not mistaken. i've tried it before but it's so slow because we all know that reading from diskettes would take forever. usually it's not advisable to use this way of installing windows. you might want to get/borrow a cd drive so you could install windows in your drive.good luck.

Another way you can install windows without a cd-rom drive is similar to a network boot but done straight on your system. What you have to do is add a partition to the harddrive and move all the files on the installation disk to that partition. Then you have to install a boot loader and a set it up so that one of your options is to boot from that partition. I will then load it just like the cd except its on your hard drive

There is first version of Windows 95 in floppy disks I think there 10 floppy disks of windows95 you can use them to install this system... you can also use the network of you have a LAN card... another way I just think but I didn't try it , you go to a normal PC and copy all files (not much) of the Windows98 with Floppy disks.. you can use just one floppy disk so you copy files then paste them on the hard disk of your old laptop.. when you finish coping them all just reboot with a Windows98 boot floppy and go to the directory where copied those files and run the Setup :) It will work I'm sure

i would suggest buying a very large flash drive or an external hard drive then connecting one of the 2, as i see it, those are the most effective and time saving options.

I heard of a floppy install for XP a while back. I had to do a search but there is a fair amount of info out there.Check out this article on Installing XP with a floppy disk.

that is about Boot floppy disk to install windows XP. Older computers didn't have ability to reckognize CD-Rom as boot device, so u needed to make boot floppy disk, that would than after boot have the ability to boot from CD-Rom. I think that problem from the first topic was installing windows without any CD-Rom device. Although i'm not sure what author wanted to say...

For 98se only :- - remove hdd from laptop and attach to desktop PC with Cd or DVD- - copy from win 98se cd folder 98se to laptop hdd (c disk)- - attach hdd to laptop - - make bootable win 98se flopy drive- - boot from floppy- - choose command prompt- - c:- - cd 98se- - setupthis work for Milenium and i think win 2000

create a image file of the xp cd in another computer near u. then you could wel connect another computer to your lap with a lan cable and transfer the image file. now u can use a demon tool to install xp mimicking a cd drive. this could could be the best solution as far as i know. else there are xp image files available in p2p. download that and use it with the demon tools.

Hey I don't think so that u can install windows xp with out your cd rom! i guess that microsoft should work on it and i think after 5 to 10 years we will be able to install windows xp without cd rom! and that cd rom name will be Ghost instalation of windows hell.... :P I hear about that u cannt install windows xp without cs rom, But you can boot your window cd rom in case your window is corrupt... :D