xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

What Things Does One Need To Create A Web Hosting Service?

Hi everyoneI was talking to a friend about setting up a network between our houses when i had an idea.. Why dont we/e i setup a web host?So that got me thinking, what kind of things would i need o do this? of course id need knowledge and of course i dont have enough right now but im thinking what kind of hardware/software and services?Now i know i would need a willing ISP who would allow me to do this, and if it got popular i might need a private line to them for high speed internet. I know i would need a web server and of course a router/modem to conect it to the internet. Then i would need a DNS service of some wort, but thats where things get cloudy for me. I assume that with a subdomain servie i wouldnt need my own DNS service etc because my website would be registered and their sites would be a subdomain of mine. But if i wanted to offer top level domains then i would need some sort of DNS but im not sure how that works exactly, i know the bases of how DNS works but not how to get my own/have access to a DNS for my users. This isnt a serious thing of mine, more of an interest but any input is appreciated! Thanks!

well, if your looking for starting a hosting business, i would suggest going to a major hosting retailer, i use rifehost, and buying a reseller account. its slightly more expensive, but u get everything you need and sell domains. its worth it if you have an already popular site or are willing to commit time and money to get your name out there!

buy if you want to set up one at your house, that will get more expensive. to be appealing, you need the most high-tech equipment. i will tell you right now, server stations can go for $5k and thats just the server, not to mention the whole web site that you would have to script. then you have to get a special account from your isp, something like up to 10gb/s, depending on your popularity.

my suggestion, stick with a re-seller account and make it easy on yourself.

wait, there is one more option, renting a server or two. that, again, is costly, but cheaper than buying your own. and you still have to setup the website, which i guaruntee that unless you are amazing and php, jsp, and html, will be a pain in the *bottom*.

i would definately suggest starting out by doing a re-seller account, learning more about the languages, earning more and saving, then create your own hosting business. it will be more profitable if you do it that way, because once you know what you need and how to set it up, a hosting business can be extremely profitable. take, for example, rifehost. they offer free hosting for posts (like Xisto), normal domains, re-seller accounts and much more. i would check them out at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

one last thing, incase you were wondering, posting for hosting is effective if you have a high traffic website because you make your money from the chances that someone will <- snipped -> so to do this, sign up for google adsense or the equivalent, sign up for google adwords, and submit your site to multiple search engines, and you should have a very profitable hosting site within a year (yes it will take that long even with a re-seller account because you must build a reputation, get users, and get your name out there)

I hope that helped.}}

It isn't just a server either that you'll need. You'll have to purchase the necessary software as well. You will need a Web Host Manager to keep track of all the accounts and set up plans. You will also need people to take care of support as well by either support tickets, online chat, phone numbers, or email or combinations of these. Then you will need a Control Panel to offer your users so they can add scripts easily, or control their sub domains and what not and maybe even something like Fantastico with preloaded scripts ready to install at ease. It is not easy to get your own web host going and it is an expensive process. I would recommend starting as a reseller and then move up to a dedicated server. You can get cheap reseller plans or dedicated server at https://xisto.com/ which have cheap plans and the servers are all taken care of for you and it comes with the necessary software for you to set up your own plan.