xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harshcpu

Wireless Network Range Wireless Networking

Does anybody have an idea to help with a wireless networking signal. I can barely see it and i need a cheap and effective way. Any Help would be appreciated.

The answer would be there is no cheap way to boost your signal, without getting a bigger wifi antenna and get it set up to your computer. Here is a site that deals with exactly that:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless.html

They look pretty cheap from some of the prices I saw and that would be the most effective way to boost your signal. Also in your wifi admin panel make sure your wireless channel is set at ti's highest heading for me it was Channel 11 at 2.462 GHz, so hopefully these two idea's help you out as well as yo utry to boost your signal.

Depending on where your router/access point is compared to your computer there can be a few easy ways to boost your wi-fi signal. Firstly, try moving the router to the centre of the area you want to access it from. It seems that being right next to it can also really reduce the signal quality - about 4 feet away is the bare minimum. If you are only going to use the router from one side (for example, the router is on one side of your house, you'll only access it from one direction) you can put tin foil behind it. I have no idea how well it works (if at all) but feel free to try it! It'll only cost a few pence for some tin foil and a piece of card :)

Well, I know of some routers that have better distance then others, so you can go to your local Best Buy, and see all the routers that have the best signal. The other thing you can do it try to do all of your work closer to the router. I have a router at my house, and throughout my houser there's signal. I was even at my next door neighbor's house, and noticed that my network was available at his house as well, he wasn't using it since it is WEP. So hope that can help, sorry that I don't know any more.

If you're just now building your wireless network, you best bet is to use pre-n hardware from the same manufacturer. Pre-n (802.11n) is going to be the next big thing in wireless networking when the standard is adopted in 2008, but many companies, including Apple and Intel are already adopting it as the standard is pretty well set now. The range will increase tremendously with pre-n and will also carry with it significant speed increases. If you already have a network set up and you're looking to increase your range, I know a friend tried an accessory from ccrane.com and he tells me it's works beautifully. I don't recall now if the product he bought was the antenna booster or the receiver booster, but it works like magic. Find an assortment at http://www.ccrane.com/!c4wnhAqZ2jXGgSNVpKVjOw!/Antennas/WiFi-Antennas?by=Category . Happy hunting, and let us all know what you decided to do. I, for one, would be interested.

I'm pretty much repeating everyone, but like they said, there are different types of routers. It's best to get routers made by the same manufacturer as your network card. Put the router in the center of where the wireless cards are (usually center of the home). Also you can get a wifi booster, I don't know much about those though. Good luck with your fix!

theres a nice cheap way to boost your signal make a wireless directional antenna with a pringles can and a length of electrical wire :) or you could go out and get a high gain antenna like me i got the hawking set works quiet well i got the hawking highgain antenna in my router and one in my wireless card get 90% signal from like 400ft away on my laptop :) so its a nice setup i got rather cheap costs like $20 each for the antenna's

Theres only 1 way to boost your signal, "Have your wireless router next to it" lol, depends if its a 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz signal, 5.8ghz was the only realease atm. so better in the future, theres gonna be a booster or something. idk about their technology on the future..

One effective cheap way to boost your 802.11 signal is using Cantena which is an antenna created from a can... the can usually should be 10 to 12 cm diameter with 20 to 24 Cm tall.. you must use a N Connector cable that soldered properly with about 3mm bronze with 3cm length.. from the N connector, than you use a pigtail and connect it to your router connector... (remove the default detachable antenna accompanying the router)... this way is working well for me... for detail instruction, you can contact me and i'll give you the detail tutorial..... :)

If you plan to only use your wireless router for yourself and want it to work at your home, just use a simple router which wouldn't be very powerful, but if you want it to be visible even for your neighbours, then all you need is to get a more powerful wireless router, but it also depends, for example if you're living in a house which has simple walls from wood or blocks, then the signal will go through without any problems, but if the walls are with fixtures (I guess in English you call those things this way, metal in walls, reinforced concrete) :) then the signal won't go so far as the electromagnetic waves abates a little, same for cell phones and etc.So firstly you need to know what kind of walls you have and then you need to choose a wireless router with the power you want the network to work, I mean the distance.. as I know cell phones has more "power" than a regular router if speaking about electromagnetic waves..