xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

Microsoft Tries To Take Down Linux... Oh Microsoft, how silly...

Source

Microsoft claims that Linux, the free operating system, is violating over 200 of their patents. This is the silliest thing. If Microsoft wins, Linux may no longer exist. Open-source software as we know it will no longer exist. This is the silliest thing i have ever seen Microsoft try to do—i can't stress this enough. I believe in open-source. Some people, even though there may be an open-source alternative, will still choose to buy commercial software, so there shouldn't be a problem. As far as i'm concerned, Microsoft is just money hungry. I, for one, don't see Windows winning this; there are many open-source supporters out there that i'm sure will support Linux. Microsoft is already a huge company, but i guess the rich just wanna get richer...

That's a bit ridiculous... It's open source, so it really wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft grabbed the code and used some of it on their own products and then 'patented' it, calling it their own. It's already basically a monopoly out there with that company, and what does the world's richest (or still very close to it!) man really need by trying to get even more money hungry by getting rid of the open source world. Yes, it seems that once again, the rich get richer and the people out there just trying to do something real without trying to dip into everyone's pockets will get in trouble for it.I hope that the case gets thrown out before it even goes through any court proceedings. Yes, I run Microsoft on my own machines... but I've run Linux too and I support the idea of open source. At least it offers the option for people to pick something other than Microsoft. Yes, lets take away the freedom of choice. Great idea. Thanks Microsoft.

Man that is huge news and to think I was goign to try my hand into partition and install a version of linux on a computer I guess I have to wait. But what really got this really going was these two paragraphs:

As with the Internet, though, Microsoft came late to the party, then crashed it with a vengeance. In 2002, the year Smith became general counsel, the company applied for 1,411 patents. By 2004 it had more than doubled that number, submitting 3,780.

But he does break down the total number allegedly violated - 235 - into categories. He says that the Linux kernel - the deepest layer of the free operating system, which interacts most directly with the computer hardware - violates 42 Microsoft patents. The Linux graphical user interfaces - essentially, the way design elements like menus and toolbars are set up - run afoul of another 65, he claims. The Open Office suite of programs, which is analogous to Microsoft Office, infringes 45 more. E-mail programs infringe 15, while other assorted FOSS programs allegedly transgress 68.

But the Big question is if it happens, how many companies and people will get bankrupt out of this and how would that affect our economy as well? Since many web hosting companies use both windows and apache for it's primary servers. OF course it's bad enough Microsoft is like the the number 1 tech business and it's founder the richest person in the world, they want control of all the software thats out there as well and knowing Microsoft they are going to go way back in the 1990's when linux first came out and nail everyone and that could be in the billions if this does go through. Of course this huge case could take years or even decades as they go through everyone of those patent and see if Microsoft holds those tights, but Microsoft could be pulling a scare tatic and make everyone settle out of court and thus closing small companies down and what not. This should be a very interestin case and the whole tech world will be watching this as it unfolds.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard in all day long.And I even agree with midnightvamp, I run Microsoft on this PC, but the thing is I'm just too lazy to install Ubuntu, I own the DVD! :)I don't think there is any chance of Microsoft winning this!

I doubt microsoft will win but even if they do I doubt it will end open source software. I hope not anyway imagine if they did win and then said everyone was using their patent when they used a programming language aaah I doubt it though,and I wanted to put Linux on my old computer too,I never used it though,I am going to check it out,I'm sure even if microsoft would win people could still use the source code to change and update Linux and I doubt it would ever become impossible to get.

Didn't they pull this type of stunt before? I might be thinking of another "battle" but I could have sworn that Microsoft already made this claim; perhaps they took this long to "acquire their evidence".

Microsoft will lose. There is no way that they can uphold 235 copywright infringments on an opensource project. I believe in copywright programs, but algorithms/function cannot be copywrighted because they can be rewritten; however, it would be very hard to accuratly rewrite a game/operating system. I use microsoft machines, but only because I'm too lazy to find a free linux that smoothly runs windows applications/games. I full heartedly support linux and my view has now been lowered even more by this low move by microsoft.

This is a very sad thing to hear, but I doubt Microsoft will win. Even if they do win, there's programmers like me that will just develop something in better :). One of my goals for myself is to have a working operating system before the end of high school, that is written from scratch.I too use Windows, but I have Linux on a livecd. Knoppix rules. I find that its better for web development, because it has KWrite, which is the best text editor ever.

Microsoft. Ah, a giant dieing. This is one of it's last breaths, and it shows the true face of MS. Stupidity. Also i belive that all of their patents are lousy, and can be done better. This suit needs to determine a lot of stuff, and it's a hard job on judges. I belive that their gonna need to listen to lot's off ppl opinions and decide what is the best for the internet community. Why internet?

Microsoft not while ago stated that they want to buy Yahoo. Yahoo has some shares in Google, and i also belive that MS is gonna reach for 51% shares of google by sleaziest ways possible. This suit is probably just an distraction of community while they try to buy Google shares one by one until they reach more than 50% and if that happens, it really wouldn't matter wheater open source egzists or not. A Corporation like Microsoft owning Google would throw such a stink on whole internet population.

If that ever happens, like ghostrider said, i want to be in a possition to own my OS. To even have the access to main sites on the internet that haven't been touched by MS, and just to work all my life on convincing ppl why that Corporation needs to wanish from this planet. From this new growing population on Internet.

MS sucks. I must say that i like Vista. But i hate their politics. They just kill the inner kid in people, making you belive that without them you are nothing.

If this suit passes and MS wins, i'm gonna Lol a lot. I'm gonna lol few days, and then, get back to my regular duties.

MS SUCKS! IF YOU READ THIS MS YOU SUCK!!!!

I really don't think Microsoft will win this one. I can think they are just trying to scare people, making them think they are doing something wrong so linux will stop. But this really shows that Microsoft knows that linux will eventually be a threat to them in the future.

Something like this was expected. The latest figures place Windows Vista on almost 3% of all computers. That's a very small amount of computers. But taking in consideration that Windows 98 is still installed on almost 2% puts Microsoft on a very difficult position. It's latest operating system is considered by many a new Windows Millennium. And since it took them almost 6 years to develop it and countless millions of dollars. So things ain't looking very bright for Microsoft. Vista is great for Linux because this is the best time to target the desktop computers...Microsoft is starting to realize they're loosing money so they thought why not grab the piece of the market that Linux now holds. But I think Microsoft cannot succeed. Why? Because Linux is not a small company, but a global family. It does not have a center without which it cannot survive. Linux is a nig family made up of millions of users and developers. Microsoft cannot destroy that. Open-source will live on and someday it will overtake Microsoft!

Something like this was expected. The latest figures place Windows Vista on almost 3% of all computers. That's a very small amount of computers. But taking in consideration that Windows 98 is still installed on almost 2% puts Microsoft on a very difficult position. It's latest operating system is considered by many a new Windows Millennium. And since it took them almost 6 years to develop it and countless millions of dollars. So things ain't looking very bright for Microsoft. Vista is great for Linux because this is the best time to target the desktop computers...

Microsoft is starting to realize they're loosing money so they thought why not grab the piece of the market that Linux now holds. But I think Microsoft cannot succeed. Why? Because Linux is not a small company, but a global family. It does not have a center without which it cannot survive. Linux is a nig family made up of millions of users and developers. Microsoft cannot destroy that. Open-source will live on and someday it will overtake Microsoft!

I completely agree to this.

I mean, Linux is just a piece of software with a name, no office, no nothing.

Even if somehow, out of the box, Microsoft does succeed to take down Linux.

Open-source developers from all over the world are sure to work harder and make another *nix based Operation System and this time try and keep it away from Microsoft patents. I mean, as far as I know, Linux has a huge and world-spread family and I am sure that open-source will live on and on and I do hope too that one day it will take over Microsoft!

I really don't think Microsoft will win this one. I can think they are just trying to scare people, making them think they are doing something wrong so linux will stop. But this really shows that Microsoft knows that linux will eventually be a threat to them in the future.

i'm sure there is no way of microsoft winning this. there are millions of linux developers and to make them all quit thats just crazy. i have never heard of something so stupid. i do not support bill gates or steve jobs. they both have plenty of money. microsoft is just too jelous that lunux is getting all the attention now. within a few years more and more people will start to use linux and see that there is no need for microsoft products. M$ makes enough money as it is off of just the xbox and the zune. i own neither of them nor will i ever use any of microsoft software. i do currently run xp on this old machine just for my scholing which requires MS. the new linux beryl is just amasing. if u think vusta's aero affect is neet check out the linux beryl. videos on youtube. the 3D affects are just amasing. if you want to give linux a try but dont want to download a gig of software go to puppylinux.org and try that out. its great for beginners and is only 85mb to download and its on a live cd so there is no need to install it just pop it in the rive next time u boot. or for more advanced users there is opensuse which has every program u could want but is alot to download and lern. also there is plenty of great open source software that is free out there and is even better. like the Gimp and Open office. i see no need for microsoft products. just because everyone thinks that is what everyone has and they will never find the right programs in it they dont even give it a try. i think linux is just great i dont know what i would do with out it. and as far as microsoft coppying off mac its true. microsoft; make something original for once.

Well I just switched my desktop PC from Windows XP to Ubuntu FeistyFawn and I must say, it is awesome. It's way better than XP... I'm quite pleased with it and the performance it's shown so far. I see why Microsoft is so threatened by Linux. And haven't lately they said that they will start shipping Dell computers with Ubuntu pre-installed? This is Microsoft's last effort to quell the impending revolution, Apple's have gained power and now Linux is being shipped, I'm sure Microsoft is shaking in their boots!

Microsoft said they won't sue. Trying to act good. I am sure they just grabbed some code from Linux and patented it after changing it a little. Those guys are very good at doing such things. They once tried to patent iPod's click wheel, notwithstanding the fact that it was in the market much before the patent. Anyway as long as Microsft continues its bullying tactics, Linux is only to benefit , as more and more people will support it and hate Microsoft.