xisto Community
seargentpepper7

Changing The Windows Xp Splash Screen another quick tutorial

First make create 16 bit 640*480 image and save it as boot.bmp in 'c:\windows' directory
Click Start|Run and type c:\boot.ini.
The file opens in Notepad.
Look for an entry similar to this.

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"
Add /noguiboot /bootlogo at the end of the line so that it looks like this.

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot /bootlogo"

We add the /noguiboot switch to remove the existing splash screen.
We add the /bootlogo switch to add our own image.

good luck!
Just MAKE SURE the image is 16 bit colour and the resolution 640*480 px

Yeah I don't want to winde up messing up my PC by making a few adjustmenst. I've learned when tampering with a big software or something similar, the tiniest change could completely mess up the whole system. Now have you tried this out or did you get it from somone else who said it works??????

This is why i love mac. All the files, images and everything the computer needs to run is found in the system folder if you know where too look. No hidden files, no crazy partitions and stuff to look for. You can change out the splash screen on a mac just by switching out an image with one you made yourself.

This is quite an interesting topic. It brings me to my current passion for the last 48 hours: Customising the windows instalation. I have used nLite to do some tricks with my XP CD. I've added service pack 3 and some hotfixes. Now I want to know how to replace the files on the CD so that my installation doesnt come with Mark Seals and all those default sounds and graphics. I want to replace the sounds that XP places in the C:\windows\media\ directory. I have downloaded a couple of wavs here that I'd love to throw in there.

post-61160-1208932260_thumb.gif

Edited by kudmus (see edit history)

StarDock Bootskin will do the job, lot more safe and no need to tinker with the system files.We can get a load of BootSkin themes that will change the Windows Loading Splash Screen.

I found a way to replace the files right in the installation CD. Most of the files are found in the System32 folder and are compressed. U need a tool like Camtech Makecab 4win to compress your desired files before renaming them to the names in the installation. Replace the ones in the installation by these ones and u have a customized XP CD. Pliz make sure u know the files u are replacing. U may end up messing up things. I advise you to first decompress the fles you want to replace and sample it before doing something stupid.

This is quite an interesting topic. It brings me to my current passion for the last 48 hours: Customising the windows instalation. I have used nLite to do some tricks with my XP CD. I've added service pack 3 and some hotfixes. Now I want to know how to replace the files on the CD so that my installation doesnt come with Mark Seals and all those default sounds and graphics. I want to replace the sounds that XP places in the C:\windows\media\ directory. I have downloaded a couple of wavs here that I'd love to throw in there.

post-61160-1208932260_thumb.gif

Wow >< thankyou for info about this sounds >< thankyou ^^/

First make create 16 bit 640*480 image and save it as boot.bmp in 'c:\windows' directory

Click Start|Run and type c:\boot.ini.

The file opens in Notepad.

Look for an entry similar to this.

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"
Add /noguiboot /bootlogo at the end of the line so that it looks like this.

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot /bootlogo"

We add the /noguiboot switch to remove the existing splash screen.

We add the /bootlogo switch to add our own image.

good luck!

Just MAKE SURE the image is 16 bit colour and the resolution 640*480 px

WinXP SP3

You are missing instructions. As stated this does NOT load a new Splash Screen. That is, the /bootlogo switch does not work. I note that this switch is NOT listed when you use MSCONFIG.

You need to state WHERE the new BOOT.BMP file should be located for it to load.

I also found out that WinXP does not work like previous OS. The Splash Screen in inside ntoskrnl.exe