xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Networking Windows Xp Pro And Other Windows Version one way to getting them connected

For those who have tried to network Windows XP Professional version with non-professional Windows version might try these steps. I was in the middle of connecting Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home edition and failed to do file sharing. Windows XP Pro was able to see and access Windows XP Home folders and files but XP Home couldn't even get to XP Pro's computer. I was getting relentless "You do not have the permission to connect to this computer" message.

Windows XP Pro by default enabled Simple File Sharing under the Folder Options > View > last one checked. Because of this option enabled, I wasn't able to give additional specific permission rights to computers which were remotely trying to connect to the XP Pro.

If you ever had the similar experience where you couldn't share files between XP Pro and other Windows OS versions, try these steps.

Preparing basic networking setup

1) Control Panel > Network Connections > your adapter > check File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

This is the first step enabling both computers to allow sharing files

Windows XP Pro can be enabled like this

Posted Image

2) My computer > Properties > Computer Name > Change

All computers trying to share files should be the same Workgroup name

3) All other Windows OS, simply designate the folder to be shared and allow to be shared by following that OS's instruction

Preparing Windows XP Pro to grant permission from remote computer to access shared folder

4) Uncheck Use Simple File Sharing to give more control over the access

Posted Image

5) Right click on the folder you wish to share, under Windows XP, and select Sharing and Security

Go to the Sharing tab and assign necessary information

Posted Image

6) Click on Permission to add additional access permission

Because your Windows XP Pro would not let other OS to see XP Pro's shared folder, this step will check to see if you gave necessary permission from remote connection to view Windows XP Pro's shared folder

Posted Image

If you do not see GUEST account with its necessary permission follow the next step.

7) Adding GUEST permission which will allow remote computer to view Windows XP Pro's shared folder

Type in GUEST and click on Check Names

Posted Image

8) Your GUEST permission is added

By checking names, you will notice that YourComputerName\Guest is created. Check the appropriate Allow/Deny permission to this account and save by clicking OK

Posted Image

Even though my picture shows permission for Administrator, be sure to click on Guest account and give your proper permission access. These steps will not require for you to create another account under Windows XP Pro to just to have file sharing experience. Most likely you will not have to perform these steps. Most out of box computers were preassigned to allow guests to share files with Windows XP Pro.

Hmm I don't see how come that you had such problem as what I did was to click on the network card I was using and then I just allowed other computer to access the first one. After that I was able to do everything eve to go to the internet. And files could be shared by the network places. I don't see why did you had any problem.

Normal desktops were designed to grant permission to all inbound connections.But if you run a server with domain (instead of workgroup--not to be confused with Domain name but joining domain within Microsoft OS server), active directory service or upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro, the next Windows version inherits permission setting from the previous version. This is why there's an option of FRESH INSTALL during upgrade installation.This is not to say that your situation is not common. But for those occasions where trying to connect XP Pro with another version, i.e. Windows 98 or Windows XP Home, have failed this is one solution to over come the problem.

Similar problem simple solutionNetworking Windows Xp Pro And Other Windows Version

Similar problem simple solutionI have a home net with one XP pro machine and 3 XP home. When I added the "home"s to the net, I had absolutely no problem getting to the pro PC... That is until I disabled "simple file sharing" on the pro (in order to tweak permissions for another user).Suddenly, I could no longer print through the pro. When I explored through "network neighborhood...Etc", clicking on the pro PC would result in a pop-up login box. Since I was on a home PC, there wasn't a checkbox to remember, and perform the login automatically.I found a lot of similar "questions" out here, but no solutions, to get me back to simply turning on the "home" PCs and using the pro's resources.After a bit of head banging, trying to understand the "net use" command (I don't really want to "connect" and map drives, etc), I stumbled upon a solution:The "net use" command can be used to replace the login pop-up box. Net use PCname /user:guestI made a .Bat file with this in it, and placed a shortcut to it in the "startup" (start menu) folder.Problem solved!

-reply by Glenn