xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
seez

How Can I Be More Popular? How Can I Be More Popular??

Before I pull a Galinda (musical theatre reference) let me tell you the consiquences of being popular.Not everyone adores the popular crowd. And if you abandon those "dorks" who, quote, "bring you down on the social scale," you can and probably will get labeled something bad that I'm not allowed to say on the forums :)And why do you crave popularity? Like I said above, a whole hoard of people at our school HATE the "popular" or the "preppy" kids. And how good of friends are you with the popular kids? Could you invite a group of them to the movies or do you only talk to them at school? Before you dump your dork friends, figure out who your friends are. . . Well, I can't find a way to phrase that where it might be easy to understand, I'm sorry.And there isn't a way to get popular quick. It kind of just happens. What I mean is that kids who are complete dorks/nerds/[insert derogatory term for a loser here :P] have ascended up the social totem pole with little explination of why or how.The best way to get a lot of friends (if that is what you mean by popular) is to join a lot of clubs, get involved, and just be NICE! Also practice your body language, look nice, or even get a make over :)

Believe me, being popular hurts so bad. You will probably never concentrate on your work. I had to leave and prioritise my education, which led to a 100% score in Physics. Something I thought I would never get! PS I'm not boasting, I'm just proving how beneficial it can be if you don't turn to popularityHowever, if you still desire to be very popular, I suggest that you look your best and leave your unpopular friends behind. Then when you are majorly popular, you can hang around with them again, without anyone getting in the way

That's generally my position - I am friends with some of the dorks though, which I guess brings me down on the social system scale.

That seems kind of harsh to me...Well, I think there's 2 types of popular and one of them involves the typical high school snob/bully. If you want to be the other kind of popular, you should just be yourself! Hang out with the people you like and care about. Ya know? I think if you make alot of good friends, that's also a way of being popular.
A good way to start is to not call your friends "dorks", we're all misfits, it's not our fault people give us labels.

Well, at my side, be confident in what are you doing. Be friendly, be nice, be polite, helpful, be honest, and be confident is my motto while I'm in our school. I'm not saying that I'm popular in our school but almost everyone knows me lol. By being friendly, nice, polite, helpful, honest, and confident, you could earn friends and you may earn popularity somehow.Watchout in what are you doing because people may see what you are doing. Watchout with your attitude because you may loose your friends and you may gain enemies.-Amiel

The easiest way to grab attention is to do something different ...but, in the act of grabbing attention you should make sure that you DO NOTimitate others : trying to imitate others may help you succeed initially. but, you cannot be another person for too long. Eventually you have to start being yourself, when you might start becoming uncoolhurt others: bullying and other sick pranks help students gather attention especially at teenage level. But, this paves the way for you losing respect rather than gaining it !!!What you can do instead is ,be sweet : help people around you. never be harsh with anyone. Even while depriving people of something they ask, be polite and make them understand. Eventually, you will start finding fans for you. This is a slow but sure way to win some loyal friends.focus on your extra curricular activities : Get something apart from your academics, going strong for you. This is a sure way you may gather some good attention towards you.

I think it is just best to be yourself. You want to be popular because you are envious to those who are so-called popular. It is not important to have a lot of friends in your circle if they are there only because you are popular. They will leave in no time. It is always good to have only some friends, but the true ones. The ones who are there for you in any condition. Oya, don't underestimate your "dork" friend! You wouldn't know what kind of person they will be in the future. Cheer up! :P-day

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not an attention seeker, but I would like to be more popular at my school. I'm not a loser and I'm friends with some of the populars. That's generally my position - I am friends with some of the dorks though, which I guess brings me down on the social system scale. Please TELL ME HOW I CAN BE MORE POPULAR. Thank you. I appreciate it.

Ditch the loser friends, and associate yourself with these "popular" people. Do so by dressing like them, looking like them, and acting like them. If they're on the basketball team, join it, if they hang out at some random place be there. Do what they do, and you'll become one.

~Those are some pretty shady tips, but you said you wanted to be popular.

Like a lot of people here said already, just be yourself. For some reason people think those who don't bother trying to impress them are trying to act cool. Smoking, drugs, that sorta stuff might be seen as cool in some circles but if you think you've got problems already being unpopular, well, those things can cause you a whole lot more trouble.I wouldn't ditch people just because they're unpopular. If you really want to be seen as cool, try getting good at sports <_< It's hard for people to see you as uncool if you can beat half the jocks in sports and arm wrestling. :( Some basic dress pointers like not wearing sweatpants, don't pull pants up to your belly button, don't tuck the shirt in while doing so, etc. can be useful. A lot of the people in middle school/high school are shallow and if you're seen as unpopular, odds are it's partly a looks thing. Also, you'll run into some jerks who just like picking on people for their self-esteem. It's like they want to make you fight back... of course, every once in a while they'll make a mistake and pick on the calm, quiet guys that you don't want to mess with, in which case it can be kinda funny. :( Also, it might just be a matter of having common interests with people. A lot of the so-called "cool" people are always talking about sex, drugs, cars, sports, or jobs. Again, being good at major sports (baseball, basketball, football) will actually make the most unpopular people be seen as popular, as weird as it might seem. A little weightlifting can go a long way towards popularity I guess.

Just be yourself and if you become popular because of that great, Dont change who you are to be popular in middle school or high school. You most likely wont see any of them again when you graduate. But if you feel like you need to, you can do sports. Thats how most kids get popular in my opinion.

As you can see, be yourself is the general opinion. It makes sense though. If you constantly try to be someone you are not, you will simply walk face flat into a wall of hate from somewhere else. Especially if you leave friends behind to make new ones. That just makes it more difficult.I hate the popularity contests. It makes me tired to remember the days when I was in highschool. I never even tried to be popular, but those that were, were quite irritating sometimes. Thus, dare I say, if you are not, don't become the enemy. =P

I guess the thing is, even if dishonesty and pretending to be someone you're not made you popular, would you really want it? The way towards something of even more value, meaning in life, comes from building relationships with others that are based on honesty and transparency. Talking about tough subjects with people close to you while being honest from the heart may cause disagreements, but time and again it shows itself to be the way to move forward in meaningful ways in your life and your interactions with other people. I firmly believe a lot of the problems in the world could be fixed if people would just sit down and talk honestly with one another about what's on their hearts or what they hold against one another.

chill out - relax. Don't just go up to people and say hi or say "can i be your friend?" because thats wierd. Find some good jokes and know you peoples sense of humour. Once someone recommends you - suddenly you have hundreds!

lol nice topic. I was a little like you at school. I had some Dork friends and i was in with a few popular people too. I was the kind of boy that everyone in the school knew my name or who i was. But most would just say something bad about me or some would just say hi as i walked past. I didn't even know some of them but they knew who i was. Is that being popular ? or are you looking to be one of them too ? I liked being in the middle, It was just enough not to be bullied and just enough not to get involved with the bad or nasty things they do or did. I had it quite good to be honest i could float about between the two. But id never ditch my true friends to try to be someone im not <_<

Honestly, I'm not considering myself popular in any way shape or form, however I do have a lot of friends, and thats all that matters. But, just be yourself, be confident in who you are, im friends with about 8-10 'dorks', but that doesn't hold me back from the rest of the people. It never should, you should never lose old friends, just get new ones and keep the old ones. You shouldn't ever be a jerk, always be nice, and do not pretend to be something your not, expecially around the people you call popular. They will eat you alive, and see through your lies. Join sports, football, hockey, that sort of thing (not soccer I advise you not to do soccer) you will meet new friends, and you will have another group, don't stay in one group of people, make sure you have friends from many, just cuz somebody is a druggy doesnt mean you need to be a druggy to be their friend <_<