xisto Community
brweb

Share Experience Of Ubuntu Linux For all Ubuntu Linux users who are using this great OS

For the resolution, search the web (or your manual for the horizontal and vertical refresh rates) for your monitor. After you install Ubuntu open up a terminal window. (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) And type "sudo nautilus". It will then prompt for your password. You'll now have a file manager window open with root privileges. [bE CAREFUL with it. You can do a lot of damage.]Navigate to "/etc/X11" and make a backup copy then open the file "xorg.conf" Scan down until you find a section that looks like this:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-65
VertRefresh 50-100
EndSection

I made a thread some time back when I was trying to figure out how to set the resolution right. This method was by far the most used when I searched on Google, but in my opinion just running "nvidia-settings" in terminal is much easier and will do the same thing. And that was on Ubuntu AM64 7.04 version.

I am really impressed by the speed at which linux has been evolving. A couple of years ago the graphic interface was really awful.. in my opinion. Now it has evolved into something which is a whole lot better than the Mac OSX and Windows Vista combined. Beryl and Compiz are amazing, I have yet to try them out but with a new hard drive I just bought it should be sooner than later, and my distribution of choice will definitely be either ubuntu or gentoo.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. It's a really cool OS, much better than 7.04 because it already comes with Compiz Fusion unlike having to install it manually in the previous version. This OS beats Vista and OSX in my opinion. I can't fully put down MS and Apple's OS cuz I use Vista-theme windows and AWN to mimic OSX.Despite the troubles I went through and incompatibilities I'm having with this linux distro, I am contented with its ease of use, low memory-consuming user interfaces (compared to Vista). I only have 512mb of RAM but I can still run all activities very smoothly. I don't think I would receive the same results with Vista (which needs 2Gigs ..so I've heard).I support Ubuntu all the way. It's just a matter of time when virtually every hardware would be compatible with this linux distro as well as alternative programs for ex-windows users such as myself.I still have a dual-boot system set up because unfortunately my printer (Lexmark 5400) is still not compatible by linux, i am hoping these types of problems will soon be overcome by the Ubuntu developers