xisto Community
henrijs

Any1 Can Recomend A Good Rts?

Yes! I am a Blizzard Entertainment gaming freak XD. <=== Includes WoW.As posters have stated before me, play Starcraft (and perhaps the sequel which is going to be released at an unknown date) and Warcraft III (and their respective expansions). I've played online for years on both of them now and I'll offer my views. Starcraft is more balanced than Warcraft III IMO. It also tends to focus on building up and army and destroying the other one while Warcraft III is more about powerful casters, supporters, heros and microing them efficiently to achieve victory over the other players. Also, Starcraft is more about guns and spaceships etc. while Warcraft is... partially medieval.The online Starcraft community tends to concentrate more around the Blizzard standard Melee/Free for all/Top Vs Bottom although some still play Use Maps Settings while Warcraft has a HUGE custom maps community (since the Warcraft III Frozen Throne World Editor completely PWNS Starcraft's StarEdit by FAR). You may have heard of a map named DoTA Allstars (which in actuality came from Starcraft's old map of the Three Corridors).In the past few years though, a lot of Starcraft players have migrated to the newer games, but theres still alot of players playing on Starcraft (they need a damned Australian Battle net server, I can't stand playing on like 200ms ping all the time). Aside from that though, there shouldn't be any internet problems after you've settled your firewall problems (although people have reported that Vista has had some problems with Starcraft) and games are quite stable. Warcraft III also tends to be more cheater free (hackers are still a problem, although players have used things like BanLists to blacklist many known Hackers onto their lists) as they have anonymous game match-making unlike in Starcraft where players could play maps such as 7 players against 1 computer to gain a VERY easy victory and "fake" their scores.Well, give those two games a go, and if you like it, play online where most of the fun is!And about Command and Conquer Generals and its expansion, it's quite enjoyable, the expansion in particular, but you need a pretty decent rig to run it properly or it will be hideously slow. And I mean hideously slow. Lucky EA had eased that problem in Zero Hour. The game tends to play more similar to the Blizzard RTS's rather than the traditional Command and Conquer with the sidebar etc. You can give it a go, it shouldn't cost much. I got both for 14 dollars. Bargain ^_^.

Well if you have never played starcraft then I think that is the way to go. Its an RTS classic, one of the best games ever. I just remembered in a different post that it is over a decade old know which I think is amazing, how many decade old games are being played by so many people like starcraft is? I dont know any game like that. Its probably because there are no sequels yet but soon we will have one. The command and conquer and age of empires series are also really good games, I would agree with them being the top 3 rts games/series ever.

I would also like to add that Starcraft and its expansion Brood War is very commonly played game in Korea. So famous in fact, that it is considered a national sport, and that people earn money playing it. I was on an aeroplane trip to China once when I saw on TV there were in fact, dedicated TV channels to Korean Starcraft gaming. Quite hardcore for us casual gamers however. Starcraft series, according to Wikipedia, is 89th best selling video game franchise, with games like Mario, GTA, Final Fantasy, Sims, and Pokemon being the top 5. But that is because they've made and sold alot of games, whereas the majority of sales from Starcraft come from the original game (selling more than 9 million copies).

I have been playing RTS games for quite a while now, and its just as Goosestaf said, there are MANY of them out there.

Well, getting straight to the point then. All the games mentioned in the above posts will surely show you a good time, as a few of them are among my all-time RTS favorites. I would however like to add a couple to this queue. Quite a while back I played this game called Dune (yes the RTS, not the RPG). It is a bit old, but for its time, the graphics and gameplay was pretty neat.

As for the other one, its a game by THQ, called Warhammer 40000. Its basically a series; search wiki for it and you'll find loads on it. The part that you should play first is Warhammer 40000: Dark Crusade. A recent release is an addition to the series called Warhammer 40000: Soulstorm. I've just started playing it, and I think its a welcome addition to the franchise. Top notch graphics, awesome depth and gameplay and a great AI, its a must play. Oh and they're working on a sequel and an MMORpg. Check it out.

Well if you want a newer game I reccomend the Age of Empires series, or Command & Conquer. Both excellent games. If you don't mind the game being a bit old I'd suggest getting Total Annihilation. It was released back in 1998 by Cavedog. You can download the base game and all it's expansion packs on the internet or buy them from an online store. It won a few awards back in the 2000 - 2002 for best RTS I think. Mayb not be the newest but it's till great! :lol:

If you're looking for a very involved rts, try the total war series. I don't think that simulated war gets any more realistic than that.I've played Rome:Total War, just to qualify.The basic over-arching play style is turn based, meaning that all troop movements and city building take place on a large map with territories dotting it. You don't actually see the cities unless you click an option to see the city, and it loads the map of the city. You regulate your empire, keep the senate happy and build stuff during your turn. The real time element doesn't come in until an actual fight. Whether you initiate or your enemy initiates, you load up and move your troops around normally.However, the troops are in battalion formation, so it makes troop movement different from a lot of other rts games. And then you have added on that the troops have fairly specialized uses: Foot vs. Spear, Spear vs. Horse, Horse vs. Archers, Archers vs. Foot & Spear... and if you pit any one against the wrong type, you lose troops faster than candy on Halloween. Also, the troops have morale. This is excellent when the enemy breaks and flees, but not so good when your own troops are doing the fleeing.Tactics such as troop placement and attack patterns really play into this game. If that sounds like your cup of tea, then right on, there you go. This is the game for you.

all my clan friends playCompany of heroes : opposing front They love it i think it looks like a really good gameaswell it got a high meta score!

I would definitely reccomend starcraft: Brood War as a playable and addicting RTS for a number of reasons.-Ten years After its release it still considered one of, if not THE most balanced RTS strategy game out there, (3 radically different races, none overpowering another)-Unlike the Warcrafts series, there are no hero units, this means you have to keep an eye on all your units. You're micro management is important in the beginning, middle, AND end.-Blizzard has FINALLY announced the release of Satrcraft II. With the new series (3 games, standalone for each of the 3 races) It'll be a great idea to get caught up on the story lines, as well as to practice for the up and coming games.-Finally, It's got an amazing balance between micromanagement, macro management, and strategy... each being easily changed in adaptation to yours or your opponents strategies...So yeah, I'd definitely get starcraft dood.P.S. im' sure Warcraft games are awesome I've just bever been a fan of the make believe in the past, and heros kinda put me off =(.

After reading up on this last previously unnoticed page(sorry), I wanna say to Ucrg, I have the Dune game and it really was a great game, for it's time at least, i wouldnt recommend playing it now though for anything more than the story with so many faster paced gametypes out there nowadays

Edited by DarkNova (see edit history)