xisto Community
prashrb

Rss The Email killer?

With the release of IE7, and its built-in support for RSS, this just might be the coming of age for RSS technology.RSS has been around for some time now. It has, however, found acceptance only in tech-heavy circles. I've myself been using RSS for a year now - started with Google Ig, then used Opera RSS reader, and lately have been using Netvibes for reading RSS.RSS holds obvious advantages over email. The non-intrusive pull-mechanism, as opposed to the email push-mechanism, makes RSS somewhat resistant to spam. Managing the feeds becomes easier since they are often categorized at the source itself. RSS can have multi-layered data, so how much a viewer wishes to see also can be controlled. The device / platform the user wishes to see the feeds on would also be very flexible. There would also be a significant drop in bandwidth usage; since readers would decide what to download and what to not.Email has had a good long run.It's time for RSS to take over.

With the release of IE7, and its built-in support for RSS, this just might be the coming of age for RSS technology.
RSS has been around for some time now. It has, however, found acceptance only in tech-heavy circles. I've myself been using RSS for a year now - started with Google Ig, then used Opera RSS reader, and lately have been using Netvibes for reading RSS.

RSS holds obvious advantages over email. The non-intrusive pull-mechanism, as opposed to the email push-mechanism, makes RSS somewhat resistant to spam. Managing the feeds becomes easier since they are often categorized at the source itself. RSS can have multi-layered data, so how much a viewer wishes to see also can be controlled. The device / platform the user wishes to see the feeds on would also be very flexible. There would also be a significant drop in bandwidth usage; since readers would decide what to download and what to not.

Email has had a good long run.
It's time for RSS to take over.

Email isn't dead yet. RSS will compliment email. RSS will kill off the email newsletter, but not email communication between
friends, family, coworkers, etc.
Companies will never let go of email, simply because coworkers can email each other useful information. Things
can get done faster.

Google knows this very well that RSS will complement email. That is why they have rolled out their "web clips" ( rss feeds
displayed on a bar over the message area ).

Thunderbird, an email client, can handle RSS and email so you only have to use one application.

The general idea of email will never die. PMs on a forum are basically a mini email system. That is just
one example of how modified versions of email will appear on future technology.

RSS feeds are useful in one sense but will never take over another communication tool (for example e-mail) because everything has it's ups and downs and some communications are more suitable to e-mail than RSS and vica-versa.

RSS is a great technology, and I personally make a good use of it every day. Opera is set up to download useful information from all sorts of site, and (configured correctly on both ends) saves everyone a lot of time and expensive bandwidth. RSS also just delivers exactly what you want it to, no junk, spam or advertising. However, e-mail will continue to thrive. Personal communications cannot be carried out via RSS feeds. Thats the same sort of thing as writing personal letters and then sending them by way of a full page advert in a national newspaper.

The RSS is really cool and all, but it wont replace e-mailing. It is a new type of technology which will go side by side with all other communication tools. I don't think e-mailing will ever be replaced by anything unless we get some new and extremely better technology in the future which is more effective than e-mailing.

The RSS is really cool and all, but it wont replace e-mailing. It is a new type of technology which will go side by side with all other communication tools. I don't think e-mailing will ever be replaced by anything unless we get some new and extremely better technology in the future which is more effective than e-mailing.