xisto Community
Watermonkey

Credit Here But Not There In The Trap Why? Tell me WHY

Ok, this is really bugging me. I wrote up this really long informative post regarding "The Best Rock Bands" in the Entertainment forum which has no points. At first, I didn't mind, but as it dragged on (what can I say? I've got a music degree and can go on for a while about the subject!) the post became quite heavy and would've probably generated several days hosting credit by itself. I'm most of the way through, but haven't finished it, and I probably won't because there's no way I'm giving that one away when people come in here and talk about the "hottest girl ever" or some brainless garbage like that and actually get credit for it! Why is it worth credit to talk about who you think should be the next Miss Ohio or whatever and a short discourse on the history of rock and roll in England and the U.S. isn't considered credit-worthy?

The music forum was never intended as a place to intelligently discuss about music but more of "what's your favourite band" and "I saw the Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Hyde Park".

However, if you have a constructive post, which we appreciate, it would definitely feel more welcome in the What Is? forum.

I think it's fair, sometimes, like when someone posts a thirty page story or something they shouldn't get a ton of credits because they probably would have written it anyways, but maybe there should be exceptions... I dunno...What really pisses me off about the Xisto hosting system is how, if you run out of credits and your account is suspended, even for a minute, and you get several credits back, those credits may actually run out before your account is reactivated. Now, I know the solution is just not to get suspended, but sometimes it accidentally lapses a bit for me, and then I'll get back on and recover from a -.05 credit deficit and then I'll have to go do something, and two days later I'll run out of credits again and be suspended still. Credits are our way of paying for hosting I guess, but if you can't access the web space and you're in the positive then I feel your credits shouldn't go down... I'm realllly busy and can't schedule my time around Xisto. There aren't many forums I know enough to reply in, either, so I can usually only get about three credits at a time and have to wait for someone to post more... oh well, such is life...

Ok, this is really bugging me. I wrote up this really long informative post regarding "The Best Rock Bands" in the Entertainment forum which has no points. At first, I didn't mind, but as it dragged on (what can I say? I've got a music degree and can go on for a while about the subject!) the post became quite heavy and would've probably generated several days hosting credit by itself. I'm most of the way through, but haven't finished it, and I probably won't because there's no way I'm giving that one away when people come in here and talk about the "hottest girl ever" or some brainless garbage like that and actually get credit for it! Why is it worth credit to talk about who you think should be the next Miss Ohio or whatever and a short discourse on the history of rock and roll in England and the U.S. isn't considered credit-worthy?

Alright. You have a point. However, If I were to make you admin of Trap and told you to keep a watch on spam. One fine day you see, people making MASS posts in Entertainment forum intented only for credits. Posts which cannot be said to be SPAM, but you know its useless. As electriic ink stated :-

The music forum was never intended as a place to intelligently discuss about music but more of "what's your favourite band" and "I saw the Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Hyde Park".

I expect members to co-operate with the forum credit system. I agree that the credit system is not the most incredible software for judging posts. However it does its job pretty well. Appropriate notes have been added where points are not counted.

Besides, We credit tiny posts with HUGE credit amounts in begenning to help members. We shower credits to members who have credits below 0 so that they can accumulate the credits easily to un-suspend their account. I wonder, why no one complained about credit system giving points in Quantity to these members.

What really pisses me off about the Xisto hosting system is how, if you run out of credits and your account is suspended, even for a minute, and you get several credits back, those credits may actually run out before your account is reactivated. Now, I know the solution is just not to get suspended, but sometimes it accidentally lapses a bit for me, and then I'll get back on and recover from a -.05 credit deficit and then I'll have to go do something, and two days later I'll run out of credits again and be suspended still. Credits are our way of paying for hosting I guess, but if you can't access the web space and you're in the positive then I feel your credits shouldn't go down... I'm realllly busy and can't schedule my time around Xisto. There aren't many forums I know enough to reply in, either, so I can usually only get about three credits at a time and have to wait for someone to post more... oh well, such is life...

I seriously have no comments over this cangor. I have been to many POST 2 HOST forums and Xisto has always sided the views of our members. Rather than SUSPENDING ACCOUNTS on admins discretion, We have automated systems which tell you how many credits you have. We give you as much of control as possible so that you have no issues going out for a vaccation.

Xisto is a growing community and I am really sorry for the inconvenience you go through to find the topics of your interests. We hope, our community grows upto your expectation so that you find more interesting topics. ;-)

Seeing as it is frustrating (and should be), perhaps the solution would be to edit the post and change it to a paragraph or so on the brief history of rock and roll, that is nothing included in your big post, then simply post it in another thread somewhere where you would say you get credit for the work you put in.Although this is probably gainst the rules and people may frown on it, I'm sure you won't be taken down for it.

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Or you could just post your long post in the What Is? forum, get the credits for it, edit your post in the Music forum with a link to the post in the What Is? forum and then get an admin/mod to close the post in the Music forum :lol:.

It appears Watermonkey's perfectly valid point has escaped some. I interpret his statement as follows: Why shouldn't the worthy topic of Music (considered the highest of all arts), be awarded host points? If members can get points discussing the virtues of women's makeup, then the discipline of music should certainly be deemed worthy. If not under Entertainment, then perhaps under it's own forum? I know plans are in the works for a "tree-like" forum structure, so perhaps OpaQue will consider incorporating topics like music, philosophy and religion as either forums or subforums at some point :lol: I for one look forward to it.

Wow. I didn't realize I'd need to post an "acceptance of resolution" in this to stop all the flaming or mis-guided posting that followed Electric Ink's good advice. While it would be nice to have a more serious outlet for discussions on Beethoven's 5th or Handel's Messiah, I can see where OpaQue is coming from at least in part of his post. I think a more even-keeled solution could be had by simply stating the expectations at the outset like each of the other topics has, but whatever...Thank you for your quick and useful guidance, Electric Ink and thanks for the support Misanthrope. I'll use your advice if I'm ever not too put out to complete my post, meanwhile, others can look here at a solution if they run into the same situation.