xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Roconza

How To Work Around Page Info?

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I wanted to know if there is a to work around page info?I want to make a website were I can show my art work but I don't want people to use my art or graphics with me knowing.I found out even if I disable right click you can still download images using page info and add on in firefox.I want to know if there is a why I can keep poeple from downloading my images using this optoin it's very distresing to learn people can down load my work using optoin and add ons and I would not even know it,if there is no way to counter this I not even try.

Now i right be wrong but it could be possible to use a php script to dynamically draw and then add the images to the page, the images would need to stored on the server as images, but they can be in a protect directory, then the script would use the GD library to open that image and "draw" it so then you would use some more php to include the first "image" php file. Im not sure how you would format it though to get it to the right position. Of course they can still use print screen, though in theory you might be able to use some javascript to detect the print screen key and black the page out or something.As you can tell its a fairly rough idea as ive never used that sort of php before in any real depth and i dont know how, or if, it would work exactly. Anyone who has used the graphics side of things in php might be able to elaborate more. Also perhaps using a separate popup window with no scrollbars and no toolbars would stop them using addons as the add-on would only work on the full browser window where they can access the menus, of course that wont work for folks with JS disabled or who stop codes from editing the attributes of a pop up.

There are discussions all over the web about this issue of not allowing content to be 'copied'. The usual method is to disable the right click on the client's keyboard. The problem with this method is that there are users who depend on their right-click for accessibility, etc, so that is a bad idea. Other clients disable javascript so the method to disable the right-click fails to do that. Approx 10% of users disable javascript, last I saw. So the right click disable sucks.By the very nature of the Internet, and the protocols used on the system, when someone looks at or views your page, you have essentially 'given them' a copy of the data. What they do with it is beyond your control at that point. They already have a copy of this data, so not much you can do about that. What you can control is the data they receive. Adding a watermark or an electronic signature is the way to go if you are concerned about theft. Presenting them with a less than perfect copy is another. Convert the images to smaller sizes of a lesser quality and adding a note that those who wish to purchase the item will receive a full size, max detail copy. This seems to be the most effective method. Lots of watermark softwares around. Check on SourceForge, the Open Source Software site.

Watermarking is usually the best method, but like haslip mention your images are out there and in fact they are stored in someone's cache, which is usually used for quicker downloading of websites through a browser. I wouldn't know the percentage of people but some put the original sources of that image on their site (usually with the images that being displayed). However the debate thats going one with copy rights is that unless that person is not making a profit off of someone else work are they either breaking internet copyright laws or the standard copyright laws in the books.Internet copyright laws are very confusing to even the lawyers in some aspects, because of the fact the internet is so open source it is not even funny, because you can find anything and everything with or without the constent of the original authors. However, on the academic side copyrights are very serious and they can get you kicked out of colleges and what not. So depending on the situation of whats happening, then the copyrights on internet are open to intepretation and current laws at the time someone is trying to sue the other.@shadowx reguardless of the set up your using a person still can save the image by the right click method, yeah you can block the file directory so they can get a complete list of the images, but since google and yahoo search engines index like every single image it would eventually defeats the purpose.

On fairly extensive testing, I am unsure as to whether the invisitec protection programs do what they say they do, as per the online demo, hosted by them.

I can easily get the file by saving as web page complete, it is saved along with two other files. Simple... also, the link to the full resolution image is easily visible in the source code and print screen works. Please hold off from buying this in the mean time, I have e-mailed them about it and I will see what they say :lol:

There are some dedicated programs out there to help people out on this matter.

I was trying to do this with my photos, as I didn't want anyone copying my (decent!!!) photographs.

Of course you won't be able to stop anyone completely (i.e. very computer literate hackers), but for the purpose the security of a dedicated encryption program will work fine.

The best way would be to use a program that encrypts the file on your server.

This prevents anyone using print screen or saving the image and makes it extremely difficult to use, whilst letting them view the image as normal. I'm not sure what it does with the cache of the file (the file gets saved on the user's computer for quick loading etc - standard thing with images), The program description says that it is only viewable in the browser on your site only, once it goes anywhere else it becomes unusable.

Do a search on google and find respectable looking ones

LINKS REMOVED: During testing of the ones I linked to, I found that in firefox the images were easily accessible. Sorry for no links! Please do test out the software first using their demo pages.

They all do essentially the same thing, but seem to be very useful and worth the money for a proper program. If you are serious or even semi-serious about protecting your artwork, ?40 or so is not much to ask.

Yess... what sun said below, disabling right click is annoying, and doesn't help at all, because there are shortcuts that everyone knows anyway!

May I suggest watermarking (what most of the hi-profile image companies do); that is, putting a semi-see-through overlay (probably white or grey in colour) on your image that saye copyright © 2007 <your name>, from <your web adress>. The best position to put this is in the middle of the image or NOT right on the edge, where it is easy to remove! - of course there is a fine line between an acceptable mark and one that spoils the artwork :lol:

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

disabling right button of mouse to ensure no-copy is not the good idea. as said earlier if you use php, dynamically generating images are fine. also you can use low resolution watermarked images.

Well one way I can think of is to provide your images in swf format ( flash ) and add a link in the flash file to your site. Now even if people rip the flash, they still provide a link back to your site. However, there are some softwares which can decompile the flash files and give people full editing power over your content. This can be countered by using some clever programming. You can write the name of the link in hex and convert it back while running the action script. This way the person trying to change the link would, atleast, not be able to easily find the script. Another way is to trick the one who tries to steal your stuff. Show your content using flash, however perform a test to find out if the file is running on localhost, your own site or some other site. For your own site and on localhost let the script work the way it is supposed to but if it is running on some other site, just redirect the page to your own site. And better: use hex encoded links. This should be enough for anyone to leave your content alone.