xisto Community
michaelper22

Security Of Cpanel

With the somewhat recent attacks on a particular host that uses cPanel, I am a little concerned about how secure my site is. Although I am relatively careful about file permisssions, that would mean nothing if a higher level user (even root) was compromised.I would like to be assured that cPanel, as well as all of the other services and resources running on the Xisto - Web Hosting servers are kept up to date. I have never experienced any troubles with security in the past, and it would be preferable to uphold that standard in the present and future.

I'm pretty sure it is safe, I mean xISTO would never use something thatr could be vunerable to us, or anybody, but yeah I know what you mean I heard that cpanel is at a security risk.

CPANEL might be a security risk for Some. However, this is not true.

REASON :

CPANEL provides 4 levels of installation and upgrades.

Build Types

EDGE : Edge is the bleeding edge tree. While it has the newest features; It has undergone the least amount of testing (if any). You generally shouldn't run this build unless you need a bug fix or feature in it. Once an equivalent CURRENT or RELEASE build has been released, you should switch away from this.

CURRENT : Current builds are more mature than the EDGE builds since they have been tested in a production environment.

RELEASE : Release builds are the prefered builds to run. They are generally current enough to have the latest bugfixes and new features, but without the worry of new bugs being introduced.

STABLE : Stable builds are for the consverative people who do not wish to run the latest release.

We use RELEASE and CURRENT only. Not EDGE.

Of course you know how some people are they just have to get those updates with all the bugs and stuff no one knows about yet. Just so they can make sure they are secure, although I one side it protects them from older hack tricks from the old release.Remember the whole big craze about PHP5 last I heard it was still in beta form So I don't know if a cleaner release has been provided yet.

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected anything less of Xisto but to use the best version...The service is always top notch and something like this would not be as per usual...I would say OpaQue has picked the best version to use and so wouldn't worry about it! :lol: as long as you have taken care (as you said ou have) to set the file permissions nicely, then viola!! it would all be happy and dandy!GOOD LUCK ;D