xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
friiks

Simple User System php, mysql driven

That's a pretty good tutorial. I've been trying to do something like that for a while, but I always give up after a couple of days, because I keep getting too many errors. At the very beginning, I always had problems getting the username and stuff for the database right, then I ended up re-doing my computer, so I had to reset easyPHP and stuff, and I accidentally deleted all my files I used to have.It's a really good tutorial to have for a beginner at php, though.

I am not really certain but I think that you should close connections to the database each time you use it. I repeat that this might not be neccessary I am not certain but you should do it.The reasons why you should do it is simple to lowers the server load as it leaves connection open unitl it times out. At least I think so.

Display First Name of user instead of username

Simple User System

Okay guys what I did was add a couple fields in the register.Php page that asks the user for their first name and last name and stores them in the database as firstname and lastname. What I am trying to do is instead of displaying their username when logged in, is to display their first name they entered when they first registered. I got everything up to the point where it stores their firstname into the database. Could one of you guys tell me how this is possible? It has to be something easy and I just can't get it for the life of me!

-question by Matt

Great Job!!!

Simple User System

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Not only is it great with many comments, but it actually works!! I went through 2 others, both of which weren't compatible with PHP 4... Which is the only thing my outdated host will allow lol. It seems in perfect working condition! Now all I have to do is add my comment and add a hashing algorithm for security (which I'd advise everyone else do too). Thanks again, this was very helpful, as the comments also helped me with some of the PHP commands I didn't know before :D

-Chris

-reply by Chris

Hi thank you for the great tut,I am just having one error every thing is working well except that am getting the password as a huge number in my database sorry am newby I never used datbase b4. Pls help me