xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Rock Cakes quick and easy dried fruit / chocolate / coconut cakes

Rock Cakes

A quick and easy recipe for some of the world's simplest cakes to cook. The good thing about them is that they still look impressive.
[hr=shade]

[/hr]
8oz self-raising flour
4oz castor sugar
4oz margarine
4oz dried fruit / chocolate cubes / coconut
1 beaten egg
Bit of milk

Bowl
Spoon
Sieve
Oven
A baking tray either lined with greaseproof paper or greased with margarine
[hr=shade]

• [/hr]
  • Preheat the oven to 200
oC
Sieve the flour into the bowl
Rub the margarine in until the mixture is crumbly like breadcrumbs
Mix in every other ingredient until a dough is formed
Grease/line the backing tray with greaseproof paper
Shape the mixture into small balls on the baking tray (no more than 2″ wide)
Allow 20 minutes for them to cook (with 5 minutes either side). Cool.
[hr=shade]If you are cooking them for a special occasion, always test the recipe beforehand so you can make any changes to it that you think are suitable. You don't want to embarrass yourself if they come out burnt because you left the oven on for too long. :P[/hr]

It's like finer sugar isn't it? Than normal sugar.Mmmmmmm chocolate, I might try to make them on the weekend. Sorry for my noobiness but are rock cakes like biscuits, muffins, scones....?

Edited by Matt2 (see edit history)

It's like finer sugar isn't it? Than normal sugar

Yes, a fine white sugar, commonly used in baking.

Mmmmmmm chocolate, I might try to make them on the weekend. Sorry for my noobiness but are rock cakes like biscuits, muffins, scones....?

Like this:

Posted Image

Bit hard on the outside and cake-like in the middle - I think :lol:

Rock Cakes made with Philly cream cheeseRock Cakes

Help, Many years ago my mother had a recipe for Rock Cakes/Scones which used Philadelphia cream cheese in the ingredients the buns were very light and as soon as baking was finished they disappeared from the tin almost immediately. In a house move we lost the recipe. I have searched the web, many cook books and asked the manufacturers if they had such a recipe all to no avail.  The cream cheese was an ingredient in the mix  not as a topping or filling which is the only recipes I have been able to find.

Does anybody know of a recipe I think it stemmed from the 50's.?

regards

-reply by Grace

Make Chocolate-fruit cake.Ingredients:1 cup plain flour1 cup milk powder1 cup fine sugar1 small bowl mix dry fruits3-4 spoon choco powder(for dark chocolate use 6-7 spoon)1 spoon baking powder1 cube of butter1 Egg ( Optional)1 cup sprite1 bowl creamPreparation: first take one bowl and Plain flour,milk powder,baking powder, sugar,Choco powder in It.Then mix it Until come in one form. then add butter,sprite,Egg,dry fruit and mix it until dough is formed. Then take tray and spread some butter on it. then put dough on it. then preheat oven on 120 degree temperature and put tray in it for 45 minute.Then take cream in one bowl and add Iceing sugar,Flavor whatever you like and mix it well.then spread on cake sponge.then put some chocolate nuts on it.