xisto Community
Misanthrope

Do You Prefer Cats Or Dogs? Your Choice of Pet Says Something About You

i love cats, dogs, AND fish. if i had to pick one, it would be a dog, but i could never pick just one. dogs are loyal. cat's are independant and they both have something to offer. i'm an animal lover by nature. had a raccoon once. that was an interesting experience. it used to folloow me everywhere. the only time it got aggressive was during feeding time.cats are cool. they've made my arm bloodier than any other animal i've owned and they keep me aware because i really hate being pounced on while watching t.v.fish, they are great. especially at night. the tank light can be used as a night light and there isn't anything better than watch these fish do their thing while trying to go to sleep.the thing to remember though is each species has their own distict qualities and the breeds within the species have their own individual behaviors. i mean, you can't compare a terrior to a retriever. so whenever i am choosing an animal, i try to choose very carefully to choose one that suits me. i don't like to pick anything i can't interact with. most importantly though, if you pay attention to the animal and spend time with it before making a decision, you will notice if it picks YOU or not. it's important to pay attention to that because cats AND dogs have very good instincts and if paying close attention, you will notice if there is a bond or not and sometimes their choices are better than our own.on the other hand, i hate how we have to domesticate animals but since our society has become selfish and uncaring to their natural environments, i do try to pick the ones i can interact with so they aren't just lying around bored all day doing nothing. cat's nor dogs are not meant to be cooped up in a house 24/7 and i never take my pets to that extreme. even with my indoor cats, i will let them outside because it's just cruel otherwise. if you have ever been to a zoo, you know what i am talking about.when i was in africa, i got to experience the freedoms of wild animals and nothing compares to it knowing that that's the place they need to be. not caged, and not limiting their freedoms.although i am gratefull for the companionship my pets have given me over the years and that i know i am a better owner than most to give the love and attention they need, i still have a problem looking at them and wondering what life would be for them if they can live with their own kind and without the restrictions society dictates for themi hear talk from other people how cats are so great. they ARE....don't get me wrong. but they are expendable in society. not like dogs. this is proven to be the case in many u.s. cities and towns where it's illegal to hit and run a dog, but perfectly ok to hit and run a cat. while there are laws to protect dogs from society and to protect society from dogs, there are very few cat laws.in my case with the racoon, it was just plain illegal to own one but it didn't stop me from caring for it when it was abandoned. i would like another one one day as it was such an amazing experience the first time. it had no problem when i picked it up or when my neice picked it up. but it had a huge problem when my older sister picked it up and even my dad at times or he got jealous that the racoon would play the same games with him as it did me.racoons are the same as any other animal though in my opinion. animals either like you or the don't. in my case, most like me. there was one exception and that was my older sisters cat. whenever i would walk in to her apartment, it would growl and hiss at me. i thought it was possessed or something. i never experienced a cat acting out like that before when i have owned and handled many. it wasn't because i was a stranger either because it was fine around other strangers. the only time it seemed to like me was when it was in heat and would keep rubbing on me or jump in my lap for attention....and then let out some horrific meowing sounds like the devil was inside it.and those who prefer to keep either spiders, snakes, or both as pets....well, i would highly suggest you get out more....seriously....if that's all you own....i remember i had a 10 foot python once. it got out of it's cage. those of you who said that dogs are no match for cats, well, my cat was no match for this snake and while i was on the computer one day, the snake was already on the floor heading in to the bedroom. at first, i thought it was kinda cool until i remember i have a cat and the cat started walking towards it from the back end and walking towards the face of the snake. the cat's name was "dufus" which was evidently named after me by someone else and i had to really act quick to snatch that cat up or it woulda been snake food when this snake was already used to eating furry little creatures like rabbits who were bigger than my cat.and just because a cat shows it's dominace more than dogs do, doesn't mean that any dog can rip any cat to shreds. i am not talking about leapords or cheetas....this thread was about domesticated dogs and cats. i will tell you one thing though. my dog trigger, before he passed away, wouldn't walk near samantha. was afraid of that cat. when i took my dog bruin back home to my parents house, it too wouldn't walk near samantha. samantha had always been a good cat. typical and playfull.....just hated dogs and let them know it. that isn't to say my dog bruin doesn't like cats though. we had gypsy who we found on the side of the road. gypsy turned out to be some sort of tough cat. when we would lock it out somehwere where i wasn't at, it would run and bump it's head on the door trying to open it. my dog bruin and her got along great. my dog would play hard with it and gypsy would keep up. they were best friends for sure as they would always follow eachother around.so me, i love both cats and dogs. although they have different personalities, they both have something to offer and i hope those who own these animals have something to offer back.....

none. I hate both dogs and cats. Peace guys. I just feel sad at looking at them on leash or living with human help. they should be set free. ohh my.I do love plants...

Linekill, how long do you think a domesticated animal would survive if let free to roam as it pleased? They would most likely be hit by a car or eaten by some animal that actually belongs in the wild. The dog or cat may find the great outdoors enticing, but the truth of the matter is that they wouldn't like it after one night. Depending on the pet, they could freeze to death, it could be VERY hard for them to find decent food, and as I already pointed out, they're a target for both predators as well as your windshield. Although to be honest, I see where you are coming from; if you hate dogs and cats, setting them free would be the perfect way to be cruel to your pets and not feel as much remorse as if you had killed them with your bare hands.

In all honesty, I prefer dogs.Cats in my opinion, well, I have never been a fan of biting a scratching, whenever I see a cat I am always reminded of its claws simply because my friends cat has left a lot of scars on his hand of clawing them. I prefer Dogs because they usually have trimmed nails, and their teeth aren't as sharp so now I am very confident when playing tug-o-war with my dog if I cause him to bite me, I don't really care anymore. Its all up to peoples preference, some might like inside pets such as cats, but I prefer the outside pets, the mans best friend.