xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CinnamorollTK

Windows Vista And Its Problems Seems like a down-grade to me.

Recently I purchased an Emachines computer with Windows Vista installed. I thought "the newer the better." I was horribly wrong. Once I got it, it took an hour or two just to get the thing started and updated. Then it had tons of start-up files on it that I had to shut off with the msconfig file. Once that was over, I went to check the games that were pre-installed from a comany called WildCoins. I played Diner Dash and got addicted to soon find out that after two free plays, you have to pay to play or play online. That was upsetting since I couldn't get internet until three weeks later. I (and my fiance) took time to calm down and tried to install his old computer games like Final Fantasy XI to find out the majority wont work. The higher tech it is, the less likely it will install. Supposedly some security features cause games to not work. iTunes, on the other hand, only took two tries to install and then it worked. He downloaded many games that wouldn't work except for Ragnarok Online which worked (although I'm not sure how he got it to work).Overall thought: Avoid Vista. Even XP is much better than it.

I have the same opinion of Vista by now :D It was too hard to make the drivers work properly with Vista installed, i had to reinstall my graphics card driver about 6 times :P and some games werent going to start up due to the incompatibility with the new graphic render controller or something like that... well, im back to XP now too, at least until is are released all the utilities needed to run properly my common programs and games.By the way, your PC may be way too advanced like for running your old applications :D

Vista's been out for, what, a couple of weeks now? Of COURSE it's going to be littered with bugs. I believe that Vista will be a stable, decent OS in about a year. Until then, though, I'm avoiding the stupid thing the way that I avoided XP during the first year of its release. Micro$oft has always been too in love with releasing software before the major bugs are resolved.

Well my friend has vista and it runs real smooth on his computer he had upgraded his windows. Also of course the windows vista is going to have bugs all new things have bugs there has never been anything in the world that comes out perfect on the opening day. Ex:Windows Xp everyone was complaining about the security on how xp is not going to be all that good and look at it now one of the best OS. So Vista is going to be stable just give it a few more months and it will be good.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Windows Vista, but some goods things too. As said above, its only been 3 weeks since its been out, and in most software there are some bugs at the first release.

It was too hard to make the drivers work properly with Vista installed, i had to reinstall my graphics card driver about 6 times

Windows Vista is a new operating system. Things are going to be different, hopefully for the better. Some drivers might be incompatable. I don't know whether Microsoft changed the way its OS deals with drivers in Vista, but its possible some techincal details have been changed with drivers. Its not always the person who writes the operating system that causes the bug, bad or incorrect programming by software programmers can cause errors, too.
As for this:

and some games werent going to start up due to the incompatibility with the new graphic render controller or something like that..,

Windows Vista has a new graphics processor. This is once again the job of a software programmer, not a system programmer, to fix. I haven't looked at the technical details of Windows Aero, which I believe the new Graphics System in Vista is called, but if they made it incompatable than there probably are a lot of changes. I am designing an Operating System from scratch, and it is not easy. However I find its not a bug in my in my OS code, its usually a bug in the code I'm writing for my OS.

Well my friend has vista and it runs real smooth on his computer he had upgraded his windows. Also of course the windows vista is going to have bugs all new things have bugs there has never been anything in the world that comes out perfect on the opening day. Ex:Windows Xp everyone was complaining about the security on how xp is not going to be all that good and look at it now one of the best OS. So Vista is going to be stable just give it a few more months and it will be good.

Maybe it runs smooth for him since he has not tried to install any games or has not used any help files from older applications. The older help files (win32hlp.exe if I remember correctly) wont work with Vista.

By the way, did your friend upgrade to Vista Home Basic or another version?

My opinion is that Windows Me is the best. :P

Are you kidding? Windows Me was actually a step down from Win 98.

Me had that unzipping application installed, plus a few other things I can't remember that got me mad since XP didn't have them and neither did 98 or 95. Plus, its just my opinion, and I haven't dealt with 98 much.
Also, I've just recently gotten a laptop with 98 and it seems so limited (maybe since its 10 years old)

10 years old meaning the laptop and not the programming
Edited by CinnamorollTK (see edit history)

Uh, yeah, I kinda guessed Vista was trash. Windows keeps coming out with newer and newer operating systems and they just kill your system further and further. XP was definately a step down from 2000, and Vista just sounds like its getting worse.

Interesting views... Anyone remember the same thoughts occurring when Windows XP first came out too? I think Vista will probably move in the same direction as XP and be widely accepted in a few years. I mean, if computers are being sold with Vista it could hardly be otherwise, could it?I have heard a lot of bad things about Vista and there's no way I can afford to buy an upgrade now, but I will probably get it when I get a new computer.

Interesting views... Anyone remember the same thoughts occurring when Windows XP first came out too? I think Vista will probably move in the same direction as XP and be widely accepted in a few years. I mean, if computers are being sold with Vista it could hardly be otherwise, could it?
I have heard a lot of bad things about Vista and there's no way I can afford to buy an upgrade now, but I will probably get it when I get a new computer.

The cheapest Vista, with tax, is $391 on a new computer at Best Buy where I live. It comes with the speakers, keyboard, and mouse so you can use your own old monitor (or buy a used one at Goodwill like I did for $8.95).

Just 1 word of advice, stop lying on the Windows legacy, Vista is rubbish and a total replicate of Mac OS X, move away from Windows and go to Mac. Windows Vista is just going to have more and more bugs, considering how long it took them to develop it, and this is not going to be a relapse of the XP era, more and more bugs are going to be churned out because it is a new system.

Recently I purchased an Emachines computer with Windows Vista installed. I thought "the newer the better." I was horribly wrong.
Once I got it, it took an hour or two just to get the thing started and updated. Then it had tons of start-up files on it that I had to shut off with the msconfig file.
Once that was over, I went to check the games that were pre-installed from a comany called WildCoins. I played Diner Dash and got addicted to soon find out that after two free plays, you have to pay to play or play online. That was upsetting since I couldn't get internet until three weeks later.
I (and my fiance) took time to calm down and tried to install his old computer games like Final Fantasy XI to find out the majority wont work. The higher tech it is, the less likely it will install. Supposedly some security features cause games to not work. iTunes, on the other hand, only took two tries to install and then it worked. He downloaded many games that wouldn't work except for Ragnarok Online which worked (although I'm not sure how he got it to work).

Overall thought: Avoid Vista. Even XP is much better than it.

I recommend Ubuntu Linux. I got it and installed it out of curiosity, so I have a dual boot Windows/Linux system, but it just so happens that Linux is all I ever use. It is awesome and uncorrupted by your (interesting) horror stories of all these bundled applications and games that try to force you to pay for them. Totally free, and better, which equals awesome!!