xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
glenstein

I Need To Get This Off My Chest Before I Explode Not really, but its a marketing phrase

I remember reading this thing back when I was really young, about a special offer on a web site that promised to send millions of visitors to your own web page. It was a scam, but I was young enough to waste time reading about it. Anyway, the passage I remember in the sales pitch was "let me get this off my chest before I explode" or something like that. So I searched google for the phrase, and man, it must be really effective and really popular because every random scam or shady business site you can think of uses it. They might spam message boards with a sales pitch and then just randomly take the sentence and paste it into their message.

I just thought it was a fascinating insight into how a certain part of internet scamming works. Take a look..

It's also a little disgusting, that a certain collection of words that happens to be appealing are copied, exploited and proliferated in attachment with any random gutter level sales pitch that happens to be in style at the moment, and the people who waste their lives engaging in this are truly rotten people.

Some things the phrase has been used to sell:

One for a guy named Stephan Ducharme getting a million hits.

One for a guy named Johannes Frederick getting a million hits.

Another just like it from "Christopher Hamlen"... and "Mary Rabe" and "Brandy A. Johnson" and Hector Cantu and on and on and on. And they are obviously coming from the same source because they all happen to mention their names right off the bat.

One for an audio tape program about stress management (which they call your "personal stress coach")

Then there is another one for a product apparently called an "Impossibility Transformer"

The line is used at http://howtosolveeverysudokupuzzle.com/ ... guess what that site is about? And a book called "Ten Enlightened Teachings of Grand Masters"

Then there is another one using that phrase to sell a "Maximize Your Metabolism" program which is, I don't even know, apparently a bodybuilding program where you get phone conferences and diet lists and all these ways to bodybuild and work out. You can see that it is just drenched through and through with propaganda...

My accountant tells me I should charge around $2,633. for this program, and I probably will in the near future. But not yet. For now, and only if you agree to let me use your success story in my upcoming advertisements, the cost for the whole program and my personal guidance is only $887.

But you must act now. I can only take on enough new clients to fill the hours I've dedicated to this project - not one more.

Oh right! But you have enough time to spend god knows how many days putting together a website and filling it with 30 paragraph essays about how you don't have time for new clients. And of course it's just a coincidence that you are openly musing right in the middle of your sales pitch about how you are planning to triple your price in the "near future", on a website that hasn't been updated in years (it says copyright 2004 at the bottom).

Seriously, I don't know what these people think they are achieving. 99% of people aren't stupid enough to buy their product just because of some showy sales pitch.

I know someone who was a long time salesperson, read all the books, etc. and it seems that this whole sales culture flourished in all its trashy shoddy glory first in the 80's but reaching a golden age in the early-mid 90's. It's just a deeply, deeply flawed mindset to reinvent your life plan around the sales pitch, as if, regardless of your products uselessness to can pummel the problem into submission by overselling it. No thanks, maybe that effort should have been spent actually getting a college education and doing something that is actually worth while.

It's probably just as much trouble to find all these scamming ways to sell a product, which suggests personal inner guilt. I'd just like to see these people face to face as they put these products into play and let them infest our lives. Have they no respect? No dignity? It's just shameful.

EDIT: I accidentally put my own words in the quotes. Fixed.

Edited by glenstein (see edit history)

I'm not sure what to say, so I'll put this in quote...How long to you think it'll take for google to index this page?

Eh.Yeah, hopefully most people aren't dumb enough to fall for such a scheme, but, hey, if 1% of visitors do, that still works for the scammer.By the way, did I mention that I think scammers, --along with people on welfare who could actually get a job and people who have really huge egos,-- are the scum of the earth?

Wow... that was certainly not what I was expecting to read when I came in here lol... Mind you, I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but since it was in the Ranting section of the forum, I think I was expecting something a little less coherent, I don't know.But you are right, I can't stand these kinds of ploys that people use to make the money, because they are so sleezy when trying to sell you whatever it might happen to be that once they find a good line to draw people in... it gets used over and over and over again - regardless if the product is even truly related or not!And yes, you are very correct, because when I read the title, I was like, wow... wonder what could be so bad that this person might explode?! It really did draw me into the conversation... and the scary thing about it, is if it was another one of those scammie emails or websites that I try to avoid, then I probably would have unwittingly been drawn to it, and it's "claims" for everything under the moon, just to make that sale.And I've been very close to purchasing these things on more than one occasion, but luckily the price has been what stopped me so far. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money on something that "might" work. And trust me, I know deep down that it's a rarety to find something good out there like this, and if they do indeed come through with tips, it's probably going to be common knowledge, or something easily found for free elsewhere.Sorry for ranting too lol... I didn't expect to write this much, but I think it must have hit a nerve or something.