xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
salamangkero

Just A Couple Of Conspiracy Theories Consumers beware

Has it ever occurred to you that someone, somewhere knows something you don't and they're having a good time at your expense?Call it conspiracy theory or whatnot but I have always had the nagging feeling that shaving creams and/or after-shave lotions might have hair growth stimulants. If it were so, there is nothing we consumers could do about it since, after all, they never were supposed to inhibit hair growth nor did they advertise doing so. Still, it is a pretty darned smart way to ensure that their customers will keep on buying their products. To us, they are just implements to an eternal ritual against something we, as humans, have deemed inescapable: shaving. To them, they are almost a self-sustaining investment.How about those mold and mildew cleaners? What if each droplet of acidic liquid poured onto the grout between ceramic tiles contained a certain chemical, which, when decayed, encourages more fungal growth? The companies selling these cleaners, too, did not advertise retarding mold and mildew proliferation. They were supposed to clean but not keep your tiles clean. If these indeed contained such chemicals, we'd be in a never-ending battle against fungus.Another one I have had the luxury to experience: anti-dandruff shampoo. So long as I keep on using it, I don't get flaky scalp; it must have some strong chemicals for even its vapors sting my eyes. However, when I discontinue usage, I get a dandruff boom. Does it also have nice ingredients that decay into bad ones?Ahh, the refined art of subterfuge. Technically, the makers of the three products never lied to us; they just happened to omit certain facts from the mass media. Given that I, too, enjoy "lying" to others, I'm beginning to wonder if any of those people might be my kin :P

In a way that does make sense. But is there any way to prove it?

Hah, just like drug companies (IMO), they make you take drugs forever, and when you stop the symptoms are capable of coming back. Yet, they're "oh so close to the cure." :P There's also another theory that anti-virus companies make viruses to spread unto computers, just so they can come out with patches for them. But what can't we speak the same about? Soda companies making their sodas cause thirst? Fast food companies making their food cause hunger? The list goes on... People only care about the money, as far as i'm concerned. Not the well-being of people.

In a way that does make sense. But is there any way to prove it?

No, or at least, not for the common pedestrian-type guy who has no access to testing labs. That's why we all walk around unaware that things like these may or may not be happening :D

But what can't we speak the same about? Soda companies making their sodas cause thirst? Fast food companies making their food cause hunger? The list goes on... People only care about the money, as far as I'm concerned. Not the well-being of people.

No. Your latter examples won't seem to corner the market. For one, people drink a lot of things aside from soda. If they get thirsty, what's to assure them they'll buy the same brand later on? People also eat other things aside from fast-food.

On a side note, there is also an urban legend over here. It was said that a leading manufacturer of baby powder sought to increase their sales by 20%. At the time, their baby powder bottles had 5 holes at the top. They added one more hole and, true enough, later sales increased by 20% :P

Again, just an urban legend. This one, however, is real.

Digital camera companies have always supported the idea that the more megapixels a camera has, the better. Truth is, the human eye can only see so much detail that even for making a poster, just 5 or 6 megapixels will do, but their sales personnel wouldn't tell you that now, would they?

Oh well, c'est la vie. There is a saying here that goes "Walang manloloko kung walang magpapaloko." (There will be no deceivers if no one lets himself be deceived) :D

No, or at least, not for the common pedestrian-type guy who has no access to testing labs. That's why we all walk around unaware that things like these may or may not be happening :D

No. Your latter examples won't seem to corner the market. For one, people drink a lot of things aside from soda. If they get thirsty, what's to assure them they'll buy the same brand later on? People also eat other things aside from fast-food.

On a side note, there is also an urban legend over here. It was said that a leading manufacturer of baby powder sought to increase their sales by 20%. At the time, their baby powder bottles had 5 holes at the top. They added one more hole and, true enough, later sales increased by 20% :P

Again, just an urban legend. This one, however, is real.

Digital camera companies have always supported the idea that the more megapixels a camera has, the better. Truth is, the human eye can only see so much detail that even for making a poster, just 5 or 6 megapixels will do, but their sales personnel wouldn't tell you that now, would they?

Oh well, c'est la vie. There is a saying here that goes "Walang manloloko kung walang magpapaloko." (There will be no deceivers if no one lets himself be deceived) :D

That's a farfetched theory, the sad thing is that I sort of believe it. Of course those products are not going to work with 100 %, if so how would these companies make money? If dandruff shampoo cleaned all of your dandruff than you would have no need to use it. Same with hand sanitize, there is going to be some sort of error in the product. Because at the end of the day it is strictly business baby, strictly business.

For making posters and stuff, 5 megapixels are fine. However, with more megapixels, it's almost like having a zoom - digital zoom basically won't lose you quality then. And, for the baby powder thing, well, that seriously could happen. That's actually really smart. But if you add too many holes, it'd end up pouring so fast you actually felt like you were wasting it, so you'd stop buying it.

You've got a point. I wouldn't be surprised if many companies did that. I did hear of one example. As you can see, there are millions of diabetics around the world. Insulin sales probably reach the trillions yearly. Yet recently, a French man discovered the cure to diabetes. He took it to companies to have them test how much money they would make of off it. Since the profit was less than the profit they would get from diabetes products, they banned him (or paid him off) to not tell the cure.This information was given to my mother by a nurse. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. I've also heard about a machine that cures cancer. It isn't used since the average chemotherapy treatment is around $700 per day. So if there are cures, these companies wont release them.Its sick what companies do for money.

I did hear of one example. As you can see, there are millions of diabetics around the world. Insulin sales probably reach the trillions yearly. Yet recently, a French man discovered the cure to diabetes. He took it to companies to have them test how much money they would make of off it. Since the profit was less than the profit they would get from diabetes products, they banned him (or paid him off) to not tell the cure.

I've also heard about a machine that cures cancer. It isn't used since the average chemotherapy treatment is around $700 per day. So if there are cures, these companies wont release them.

I do have heard of some of those. I'm not sure myself, though, how much of those are urban legends and how much are real. I've once read on this certain site about an individual who sold phony cures for cancer called "Pheno-Isolin"

I've also heard of the urban legend about the invention of a water-to-gasoline transmutation pill. It has long been debunked but I'm surprised there are still some people who use the legend as fuel for their conspiracy theories.

I've also watched a TV documentary about this machine a fellow countryman has invented. You're supposed to step on these metal blocks and sing for a while in front of a videoke machine and, miraculously, you'd be cured of cancer, diabetes, rheumatism, migraine, high blood pressure and a plethora of other ailments. Those who have used it claimed to feel "better, uplifted and quite healthy" Interestingly, the "inventor" did not want to get a patent for fear of his invention being reverse-engineered. (Yes, I know, we people are adept at that)

Oh god, I just sound like I've just killed my theories.

Anyway, I'm not gonna claim the veracity of those theories since, after all, they're just theories. Really, the world isn't that bad a place to live. We liars, err, we people are just like you guys, sharing the planet co-existing peacefully. :(

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's healthy to be suspicious of some things, just don't suspect everything. I mean, if there is an easier way, there's a high chance it would already have been used. Otherwise, it is not as easy as it sounds.

Oh, I heard they have found a cure for AIDS? I wonder how true it might be? And if it were true, I wonder if it'd one of those suppressed technologies? :P

about drug withdrawlJust A Couple Of Conspiracy Theories

"I did hear of one example. As you can see, there are millions of diabetics around the world. Insulin sales probably reach the trillions yearly. Yet recently, a French man discovered the cure to diabetes. He took it to companies to have them test how much money they would make of off it. Since the profit was less than the profit they would get from diabetes products, they banned him (or paid him off) to not tell the cure.This information was given to my mother by a nurse. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. "

I seriously doubt a cure for diabetes is out there. Aside from pancreas transplant or involving genetic engineering. Diabetes is when your own body either destorys the cells in the pancreas that makes insulin OR when your body becomes insulin resistant. To cure this, you can't just give a drug that 'fixes' it. You either give insulin, or drugs that stimulate insulin release or sensitivity of your body to it.

I'm a skeptic about many things, and I have no doubt that many drugs are out there to treat symptoms when cure is available. I am aware of docs prescribing antibiotics for simple viral flue, just because the patient insists on it and the doc just wants to get them out of the office. Yes, that is wrong. It does much harm in the long run.

But I'm very doubtful about 'cure' for diabetes. Aside from genetic engineering tinckering (possible) or transplant (done, but problems as with any other transplant) the only other cure I can think of is to grow culture beta-cells (insulin producing cells) from stem cell line, which to my current knowledge has not been done. So...I'm curious about this so called 'cure.'

-reply by Nadya