xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matak

"black Hole" To Be Created At Lhc Quantum Physics experiments

Super cool experiments done in Switzerland, is the world's biggest and most powerful particle accelerator. With giant loop of tunnels magnets and "detectors" they are able to replicate conditions just after Big Bang. They use it to so call answer questions about nature of matter and creation of the universe, while i think that they are using it to produce massive amounts of energy that can then be soled for fine money. But as long as, creating microscopic black holes, aka "black Saturn" is safe there is nothing we should worry about.

I quoted that detectors, beacouse what i read about quantum psychics is that particles are influenced by detectors, as they are "detected" they change their property. But new unified psychics theory, string theory, looks at particles at whole new level. I didn't get to that part that is why i'm so skeptical about this experiment. As if it weren't for that theory i would think that particles are "forced" to act that way and to simulate big bang, in order to create massive amounts of energy. I just hope that nothing goes wrong. Even so i found this cool image of something that looks great!

Feel free to use it for sig or something :P

This is a simulation of the decay of the Higgs particle in the CMS detector, an event that virtually everybody hopes to see.

Posted Image

If we ever make black holes on Earth, they might be much stranger objects than the star-swallowing monsters known to exist in space. According to a new theory, any black hole that pops out of the Large Hadron Collider under construction in Switzerland might be surrounded by a black ring ? forming a microscopic 'black Saturn'. This could happen if extra dimensions exist, as string theory suggests, and if they are large enough." An evocative excerpt from the article: "...there is an outside chance that in a few years in a tunnel near Geneva, physicists will make a black hole far smaller than a proton and circled by a squashed four-dimensional black doughnut."

well i hope the event of an uncontrollable black hole doesn't appearsince black holes are known of sucking up everything they see at an immense poweri wouldn't like to see a black ring nearing my front door :Pand why would they make it ? a new garbage disposal tool ?so much questions, so little answers"it is safe"black holes are never safe ...if i would live close to the place where they will test it, i'd go to another country on holidays

I don't think we have anything to worry about, because from my understanding of black holes and how they work they would never be able to make one on earth. The power of a black hole comes from its mass, black holes are made of tons and tons of matter squashed into a very small spaced refered to as a singularity. Because the Earth doesn't squish us into the ground I don't believe we could get enough matter to form a black hole here on earth.

@t3jemyour understanding of black holes is good at normal scale. but when you reffer to atomic, and subatomic (wow cool words) levels, other laws of nature act. theory of relativity can't be used to measure atom behavior couse they don't act according to that theory.this experiment that they are doing is simulation of black hole it is not real black hole, although they don't know what does it mean. some say that if such a thing is created, that theory of parallel universes becomes true. but that doesn't really matter couse it is hard that we are ever going to make portals to other universes, couse it is not like in movies, where maybe you are a woman. it is far more complex.theory of parallel universes means that matter in this universe maybe has oposite or totaly different specifications than in our universe. that means if you ever come through paralel universe portal you can be transformed in to guano, or watter or solid roc, couse your atomic structure acts that way in other universe.unknown thing is would you keep your intelligence if you transform your self in guano, then probably you would become the first intelligent guano in that universe :P

@matakif we would want to make the portal technology, we would need the knowledge of wormholessince wormholes are created by exploiting gravitational resonances found in binary systems.This resonance is as a friction between gravitational waves of stellar objects, the more massive the objects, the stronger the resonance between them. Examples of this are the position of the planets and the dust rings around the heavy ones.but heh i think i'm gonna keep my logic talk away ^^ :P

Edited by sniperkiller (see edit history)

interesting experiment, but I think even a microscopic black hole is really dangerous, because it could end up capturing material around it and growing. If you took the entire earth and shrunk it to the size of a marble, it would be about as dense as a black hole. To even create a microscopic black hole would contain a ton of material.

Hmm, I think that the term 'black hole' is misleading when applied to the experiment here. A Black Hole does not really have 'more gravity' than the star from which it was born, it's just that in a black hole all forces that normally oppose gravity in a star (such as the normal thermonuclear reactions) have failed, so that gravity rules as a force, and crushes the star down to a singularity.I don't think there's any need to fear even a 'real' a black hole with the mass of a proton - it cannot possibly last long before 'evaporating'. The idea of it 'growing uncontrollably' is impossible - the source of a black hole's 'power' is it's mass, and it's mass (in 'normal' black holes) is usually that of a giant star - there's no way anything with the mass of a proton could have anything even near that effect. In any case, as I've said, a 'black hole' with the mass of a proton would 'evaporate' very quickly in a flash of radiation.I won't say anything more specific about the experiment Matak mentions until I read up on it in more detail - as far as I can make out they are probably just going to use the accelerator to study how matter behaves in 'unusual' conditions. As I said, I'll have to read up on it a little more. I don't think there's any cause for concern yet, though. The experiment is more in the range of 'proving or disproving laws' rather than in the range of 'might destroy the known universe' hehe.

Omg... Im scared. Actually it sounds pretty awesome, I hope something like this never falls in wrong hands. Maybe they will be able to find good uses for it when its more developes. I kind of fear it being like nuclear technology in its early stages where it was used for bombs and nuclear reactors like chernobyl.

This can be dangerous but hey danger is the middle name of science. They know if they mess up they can kill many although i think they will not fail. If they suceed on the other hand they will take science to a whole new level and may lead to many more discoveries. Good luck geniuses.