xisto Community
Darth Vivi

Why Is Linux So Good?

Actually I'm finding the right linux operating system for me... I can recommend you one, it's called Bayanihan Linux (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) or Peanut Linux (search it at google) I'm sure that your going to love the two... Those are very friendly Linux versions for a Windows user like you who would like to switch to Linux... If you still don't like the two, use Mandrake Linux... you can search their website at google also...

You've allready found the anwser :

You're using KDE, which is heavy and slow.

Use a better desktop manager, and you'll see that it's faster than WindowsIf for you the registry isn't hard, then a 4-years-old child can use all linux commands...No : only few win32-softwares are supported with things like Wine and Cross-over.

There are much more native softwares that doesn't exist on win32. That's why there si more choice of softwares for GNU/Linux...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didnt you read my whole post? ive used GNU as well, even gentoo and running apps they just dont seem faster, and quite frankely i preffer windows, lightyears aheead in games/app speed. And of course drivers. Sure Windows is the standard but therefore it is more supported and better, no version of linux have i see run faster on my system then a copy of windows. Sorry, but it just hasnt been that way for me.

Didnt you read my whole post?

Yes, and it shows that you missed many important things. And this post confirms it

ive used GNU as well

That doesn't mean anything. GNU is a project, a concept, a philosophy.

It's frigthening that you could ignore it...

even gentoo

Gentoo is a distribution.

One again, you talk about things you don't understand...

Linux is faster than Windows?, everybody admit it. If it was slower for you, it's because you use a slow DM, KDE. If you've allready used anything else, name it. Maybe there is an even heavier DM than KDE...

Security is definetly better, nVIDIA

is extremely popular, and it runs

faster generally, except for Gentoo,

that's guarenteed to run faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude what on earth are you talking about? nVidia is a graphics card company, not a linux distrbution??!? how does it have anything to do with better security?

dude what on earth are you talking about? nVidia is a graphics card company, not a linux distrbution??!? how does it have anything to do with better security?

Yeah, I know I posted a bit late... Those were a string of indirectly related
items. I knw nVidia is a graphics card company. It has nothing to do with better
security. What has to do with better security is the root level priveleges and such...

Well, I must say thank you to this topic. I just spent the last week switching to Linux. It took many distros, but I've finally found one that I like. I started with Mandrake, Peanut, Knoppix, SimplyMepis, Mandrake again, Fedora Core, Novell evaluation, then I ended up on Suse (since I like Novell, I D/L free version of Suse). I can honestly say I love it. Stable, fast, easy to manipulate. Suse is known for being feature packed...true, it has the option to add the most packages out of any distro I downloaded. However, it was just that - an option. I can add what I want, remove what I want, all when I want extremely easily. I almost tried Gentoo for that reason...but the setup seemed to lengthy for me to just try another distro. There are only two complaints:Suse makes it very hard to obtain a free version. They allow it, but almost hide the instructions and mirrors to do so. Granted, I'll probibly donate because I like their software...but still. I can not seem to configure the firewall to allow me to connect to my network. Not a huge problem...just disable when I need to print or share files. But still an inconvience for me (and many others as I've noticed by doing a google for a fix).Over all...way better then windows.

Yeah but maybe not Knoopix (as you where saying before) its quite diffcult to set up and even then it runs slowly. Maybe i just set Knoppix up wrong though  ;) Incidently i'm downloading Peanut Linux  now,looks good

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, knopix, or warlinux for wardriving with wireless ;)

Like i said before on some other topic, MACOS X, users don't know and i think most of them will never know switch to shell, or to set networking by hand on MACOS X....

One great advantage that Linux has over Windows is the fact that Windows just keeps getting slower and slower as the time passes by!Information keeps piling up in the registry, and temp files keep piling up on the HDD, and eventually, you will wonder why is my machine running so fu****g slow!?And also: Linux supported multitasking and more users on a same PC from the very beggining!If you are an advanced user, you should at least try Linux.I recommend Mandrake Linux for beginners...