xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

I Found E=mc?

Till now i thought E=Mc˛ was nothing but useless piece of information. I saw it on the back of my book in a picture. Its actually 3 pictures with Einstein and Stephen harper and Newton. Then its got a picture of a atom and a black hole and this equation. I understood all but not this one. I knew the variable for E and M which is energy and mass but C was completely out of my understanding. Therefore i wen to Wikipedia. This is what i got. Its actually genius that you can calculate energy this means a whole new thing. This means you can add a new element to bodybuilding which i think you can do but not sure about it.

mass-energy equivalence is the concept that all mass has an energy equivalence, and all energy has a mass equivalence. Special relativity expresses this relationship using the mass-energy equivalence formula

E = mc2

where

* E = the energy equivalent to the mass (in joules),
* m = mass (in kilograms), and
* c = the speed of light in a vacuum (celeritas) (in meters per second).

In physics, E = mc2 is the equation that expresses an equivalence between energy (E) and mass (m), in direct proportion to the square of the speed of light in a vacuum (c2). Several definitions of mass in special relativity may be validly used with this equation.

The equation was first published by Henri Poincare in 1900[citation needed], and later rederived (in a slightly different formulation) in 1905 by Albert Einstein in what are known as his Annus Mirabilis ("Wonderful year") Papers.

Thus c˛ is the conversion factor required to convert from units of mass to units of energy, i.e. the energy per unit mass. In unit-specific terms, E (joules or kgˇm˛/s˛) = m (kilograms) multiplied by (299,792,458 m/s)2.

This formula proposes that when a body has a mass, it has a certain energy equivalence, even "at rest". This is opposed to the Newtonian mechanics, in which a massive body at rest has no kinetic energy, and may or may not have other (relatively small) amounts of internal stored energy (such as chemical energy or thermal energy), in addition to any potential energy it may have from its position in a field of force. That is why a body's rest mass, in relativity theory, is often called the rest energy of the body. The E of the formula can be seen as the total energy of the body, which is proportional to the mass of the body.

Conversely, a single photon traveling in empty space cannot be considered to have an effective mass, m, according to the above equation. The reason is that such a photon cannot be measured in any way to be at "rest" and the formula above applies only to single particles when they are at rest, and also systems at rest (i.e., systems when seen from their center of mass frame). Individual photons are generally considered to be "massless," (that is, they have no rest mass or invariant mass) even though they have varying amounts of energy and relativistic mass. Systems of two or more photons moving in different directions (as for example from an electron-positron annihilation) will have an invariant mass, and the above equation will then apply to them, as a system, if the invariant mass is used.

This formula also gives the quantitative relation of the quantity of mass lost from a resting body or a resting system (a system with no net momentum, where invariant mass and relativistic mass are equal), when energy is removed from it, such as in a chemical or a nuclear reaction where heat and light are removed. Then this E could be seen as the energy released or removed, corresponding with a certain amount of relativistic or invariant mass m which is lost, and which corresponds with the removed heat or light. In those cases, the energy released and removed is equal in quantity to the mass lost, times the speed of light squared. Similarly, when energy of any kind is added to a resting body, the increase in the resting mass of the body will be the energy added, divided by the speed of light squared.

Notice from truefusion:

Edited by zak92 (see edit history)

This means you can add a new element to bodybuilding which i think you can do but not sure about it.

What did you mean by this?If you are smart study on quantum psychis (not sure how to spell that)

I don?t know what you mean. This formula is not new, so where?s the revolutionary thing about it in year 2007? If there's a way of aplying it to bodybuilding you should say it and if you don?t know you shouldn't have posted anything. Anyway congratulations for being smart. :P

Well in my humble opinion you cannot apply it to the body building because you are not lifting weights with the speed of light and that is why c stand for. However formula is not new and it was not long understood even by guy who founded it or shell I say his wife found it instead of him.So nothing new about it nor anything amazing in 2007 as someone said ;) ;)

In fact you're talking about half an equation. The full one is: E? = p?c? + m?(c^4). Where "m" is the mass in rest and "p" the momentum. If you're not in a relativistic speed problem the term p?c is more much smaller than m?(c4) and then you can reduce the expression to the classical E=mc?.

This formula proposes that when a body has a mass, it has a certain energy equivalence, even "at rest". This is opposed to the Newtonian mechanics, in which a massive body at rest has no kinetic energy, and may or may not have other (relatively small) amounts of internal stored energy (such as chemical energy or thermal energy), in addition to any potential energy it may have from its position in a field of force. That is why a body's rest mass, in relativity theory, is often called the rest energy of the body. The E of the formula can be seen as the total energy of the body, which is proportional to the mass of the body.

What's nice of this expression is where I'm going to.

"E" is no more than a kind of "full" kinetic energy in Minkowski space. The term mc? can be understood as the time component of the kinetic energy. Or if you prefere, is the inertia of a body by traveling in time.

And as you say when there's a loss of mass, the amount of energy lost become radiation. For every single reaction apear a photon with E=ħw (where ħ is the reduced Planck constant and w the frequency in (rad/s)) that is equal to the loss of energy.

PS: Sorry about my English. I'm not used to talk about physics with it. Don't doubt on ask me if something is not clear enough

Edited by darthvaron (see edit history)