xisto Community
JaVe

On The Verge Of Reformatting... Yes, you heard it...

Ok, since I'm still not over my registry problem where I can''t delete stuff, and panda screwed up my pc. I think i'm gonna format. Also, whenever i plugin my usb stick, my computer crashes which isn't very nice! Any suggestions?>

a clean slate is your best option. :) i totally support your intent to do a reformatafter all the computer mishaps you are experiencing. once registry is screwed,it's a bit difficult to properly reverse the registry changes needed to make yourPC smooth-sailing again. :( just dont forget to backup important files and documents. :(

get norton ghost or acronis true image. once u reformat and get your computer the way you like it, do a disk image with either of those 2 programs. I installed all my crap, set up wallpapers, window sizes, favorites, programs, etc. then make the disk image and burn the image to CD.Now, I can start with a "clean slate" whenever I want. Takes a whole 15 mins to completely restore my drive. Now i don't care about installing unknown programs, spyware, it just doesn't matter. I can get back up in 15mins.

clean slate.. is a miracle worker. my *BLEEP* was so *BLEEP*ed up... when i would open any windows folder it would give me an error msg about running scripts. and a spywear detector constantly picked up spyware, because it was in the system retore FILE! so reformatted and now everything works great. i suggest making a folder just for important installers you have which you may not be able to get again (i had 1 that was a full version of a program language that was put on a website for its employees...... its now gone) its just important to have all the stuff u want saved

One thing to remember after or even before you reinstall.1. Make sure you've got your firewall installation file on your hard drive2. The same goes for antivirus software.3. Get some patches that are important for your system. You didn't specify the system, but considering you use Panda, and registery, you use Windows. So get the approprieate patches for Sasser, MyDoom, and a Service Pack would be nice (for XP i would advice sp1, not sp2)4. When you install pull out wires from your network cards (lan, modem).5. After instalation install patches, than firewall, antivirus6. Plug your network, and do the rest.It's just to make sure you stay away from any bad stuff, because once you're plugged, you get wiruses, and others right away.Hopefully i helped... :(

I guess i'll try norton ghost, but how exactly does it work? Does it backup your registry, that's what I don't need...but i have all these other programs and drivers which i still want them to be registered like adobe...how will that work? How will a ghost image affaect them if i reformat? I have partitions.

I guess i'll try norton ghost, but how exactly does it work?  Does it backup your registry, that's what I don't need...but i have all these other programs and drivers which i still want them to be registered like adobe...how will that work?  How will a ghost image affaect them if i reformat?  I have partitions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norton Ghost essentially takes a picture of your current state, and if you choose at any time to revert to that state norton will restore EVERYTHING, registry included back to that date that you made the image. Its great software but however it is not free but i would reccommend it.

**Edit. About the partition, it will restore one partiton i do believe and btw if you have other partitions they will remain the same and the OS/main partition will be restored.

Normally it would be good, but i need the registry gone because of some undeleteable errors. My usb stick is no longer making my pc crash; this was because i really do have to safe unplug it with that icon (bottom right).