xisto Community
Iceblade

Will Computers Take Over Earth? Computers taking over the world

I guess it depends how you define take over. In a job situation it is not only possible but it have been shown in history. Many jobs have been replaced. Computers do some thing better and can work in environments that we can?t. It would be silly to send a person into outer space to bounce signals back to the earth manually or operate machinery laboriously in a factory.Money which is power can be managed entirely by computers and a smart program. As computer advance they may someday be able to out think humans. Tasks aren?t the only thing they might be able to do, perhaps someday they could handle things like law or governmental tasks or as a talking friend a computer may even fill a need for companionship. However the question may be - Can people take over the world from the machines? As we rely on computers we could forget what it is like to make decisions and manage things any other way. That would mean we will have to be educated, interesting and have something a robot will never have ? the human spirit. In other words we would have to learn to be human again.

I don't imagine computers overthrowing mankind and enslaving us anytime soon. I do, however, see them being used instead of human beings for all sorts of jobs. I don't mind that at all. Computers can be efficient and cheap. Oh and they can't whine if you don't give them Saturday evening off so that they can go to the movies :PMankind's job in response to this slow "takeover" is to learn how to do stuff that computers can't do. Job security, in other words.

This will not happen on the futur cause computers if programmed with Artificial Intelegence will be programmed only to things that amuse or help human and not to control us :lol:

It's hard to say or not if this will happen, we can't exactly say that it can't happen and that they're just computers. We as humans already have the knowledge to destroy earth if we really wanted to now think about it. The humans are creating these AI programs and robots but the AI programs will be created to think like we think most likely. Most likely when AI is smarter 50 years or so from now? It won't be flawless and there will be errors in the code and all robots will most likely run on the same code or perhaps hybrids which would be the same code anyways. This could potentially cause a mass load of AI error computers to start doing stuff perhaps not on purpose but because we made them that way.Computers already control everything with the aid of us helping them.What happens when we let computers automatically complete tasks without us directing them too? Don't say that won't happen because it will happen if it causes our demise then we'll just have to see.

like dwayne12 said, AI programs will be created to think like we think most likelyAI is meant to think on it's own and to do its own actions, but today that AI isn't advanced enough to learn on its ownit still needs some kind of teacher like us, we show it multiple times what to do, and perhaps some programs gain the ability to store that technique in their memory banks (I don't know if that is currently available yet)but check the inventions in Japan / China, they are making robots that interact if the user does something in front of themalso i heard they are going to make robots more humanoid (shape and size) and that will be one step in the computers victory for a possible take overi think i'm gonna buy myself some kind of anti electronic device just in case ^^

Computers are evolving at an alarming speed and many people will in fact be sitting home because the factories they work in has hired computers instead of them. Also many people love the computer and are like addicts like me. I cannot live without a computer not even for a day. Computers cannot take over completely but will so in many fields.

Hmmm has the starter of this topic been watching HAL? Like somone said, computers are only as smart as we will make them, so therefore, computers can never be smarter than us. Besides, they just have those robots in thoses factories because they don't have to pay a person for labor.

Hmmm has the starter of this topic been watching HAL? Like somone said, computers are only as smart as we will make them, so therefore, computers can never be smarter than us. Besides, they just have those robots in thoses factories because they don't have to pay a person for labor.

True but seeming as we are always trying to make stuff bigger and better and I know in the future we'll be making things smarter and more independant they'll call it innovation but the day we create computers to think for themselves it won't be enough for us and we'll want to make them more humanly even if computers don't destroy the earth they have the potential too.

I guess this subject is only something that can be answered by time. Really gives you something to think of though.

Put it this way if computers do all go haywire one day we won't be prepared for it and we most likely wouldn't have a plan in place for it either because we would all think it couldn't be possible.

Also how can we honestly say without any doubt whatsoever that computers can't become smarter than humans? We don't know if it's possible or not, but yet again anything is possible.

Yeah, I agree with MIGUE2k7 - computers cannot take over our planet, because they are only tools in the hands of humans! The best thing they can do is something we have taught them to do - nothing more. We should understand the basic difference between computers and us; the difference is in our consciousness or one could say in our soul. We are unique, we think, we do everything with certain motives and so on...If you look at computers, it is impossible for a computer to have a motive when displaying you information - the motive behind every computer is the one from humans! We had the motive to create something as PC's are today and we had the motive to use it and abuse it, we had the motive to make money with it and so on and so on...So there is nothing to be afraid of, because even artificial intelligence is something made from the human motive to ease up his work. Computer can make simple decisions with artifificial intelligence but cannot think or have a motive when doing something...Best whishes

Most Of I think it will be possible in the far future, not the close future since we are not so far yet in developping such programs or machinesthe creation of robots / computers have two sides hardware and software nowadays people are trying to make the shape of robots more humanoid, but the functionality of its form plays a huge tollcreating it more like a human, makes it also more fragile in some parts, and also it needs a lot more machinery imagine if they try to remake the human hand, it would take a lot of tiny parts and nothing said about the amount of power those robo hands would have; robo crime in making before an AI would even try to conquer the earth, it would need some sort of programmation in its code that allows itself to create new code and improve it. a group of programmers would be required in order to create such code the movie I-Robot shows only a small part about what could happen to the world, terminator shows again the bad part of robo creation and coding but in this case the worst partwhat the future will give us also depends on us, the future programmers or evil-masterminds probably if computers or robots would take over, can be the result of a research project done by the the world leaders Most Of I think it will be possible in the far future, not the close future since we are not so far yet in developping such programs or machinesthe creation of robots / computers have two sides hardware and software nowadays people are trying to make the shape of robots more humanoid, but the functionality of its form plays a huge tollcreating it more like a human, makes it also more fragile in some parts, and also it needs a lot more machinery imagine if they try to remake the human hand, it would take a lot of tiny parts and nothing said about the amount of power those robo hands would have; robo crime in making before an AI would even try to conquer the earth, it would need some sort of programmation in its code that allows itself to create new code and improve it. a group of programmers would be required in order to create such code the movie I-Robot shows only a small part about what could happen to the world, terminator shows again the bad part of robo creation and coding but in this case the worst partwhat the future will give us also depends on us, the future programmers or evil-masterminds probably if computers or robots would take over, can be the result of a research project done by the the world leaders

Edited by richierich1m (see edit history)

i dont think that technology today could take over the world but maybe in the future (very distant) but even if they did i think the humans would have the counter tech to hack the main system controllin all of the robots. i awnsered this topic because i just got done watching i robot and the idea kind of lingered in my head toying with my every thought.

computers cant take over the world...unless by some insanely advanced technological advancement, they gain the ability to improve themselves, learn, be self-dependant, intelligent and many others... WITHOUT any major limitations.computers and robots are what we make them to be...eventhough now people are trying to make it such that robots can 'think' and 'learn'...in other words be more human.however i doubt that goal will ever be achieved...reason being they are made by us...they're run by scripts, programs, circuits and chips....what goes throught their 'brains' are IOIOIOIO codes. the term artificial intelligence says it all..its artificial, computers and robots cant think and process like us...they can just 'think' the way we make them, or how we want them to. they don't have a mind of their own.they will never be able to take over...but we will probably be over-reliant on computers and robots in the future, to the point that we cant manage without them, and say..if some virus wipes out their programs or screw with them..and they turn against them...i think ONLY in that sense will they be able to 'take over'..something like in the Terminator films. rise of the machines ^^"

Yeah, I dont really think computers will take over the earth, there are always things, like EMP... that could disable them... and so many other things, but is it possible? Yeah, i think it could be once we start getting more into robotics thou, but not just computers, and computers do run a lot of stuff now, from the gas you pump, all the way to what controls are nuclear missiles. Scary!

U's are a bunch of little children you don't have a clue about anything yet and AI is only as smart as people make it and even if we did make an AI that is as smart as a human it would not just go on a huge rampage it would probably have the sense to talk or negotiate this topic is completely useless because it could never happen. this is impossible and even if there was some tiny slight chance if the robots did rebel and take over we would just EMP their asses-Samonsuke