xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SportsLegends

David Beckman ... Are You Kidding Me?

David Beckham, the soccer superstar who used to play for perennial Champions League contenders Manchester United and Real Madrid, as well as the English national team, signed a five-year-contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy, a (United States) Major League Soccer franchise. Reports are saying that, including guarateed sponsorship money, Beckham will make around $250 million during his tenure in the states. What?????While soccer is a religion in most of the world, soccer is an AFTERTHOUGHT in America. Soccer doesn't just take a backseat to football, baseball, and basketball, it isn't even in the rear-view mirror. Can anyone explain the economics behind this decision? I understand that Galaxy merchandise will be able to sell worldwide, but Beckham is past his prime, and America doesn't care about current superstars like Ronaldhino, let alone fading superstars like David Beckham. I seem to recall the greatest soccer player of all-time coming to play for a brief time in the States, Pele, and he may have sparked some interest, he did not spark $250 worth (even when you count inflation). There are two very simple reasons why America will never embrace soccer the way that the world does. First, we like dominating sports. We get all of the best athletes to come to America to play baseball and basketball, and most of the best football players grow up in America. Americans will not watch second-class professional sports, so they will not want to watch an American league that is far inferior to European counterparts. Second, the reason why soccer is so popular in many countries is because any can play. All it really takes is a ball and some trees to hit the ball between. Hence, many countries end up playing soccer by default, due to poor socioeconomic conditions. American children, on the other hand, have easy access to the best football shoulder pads and helmets, baseball glove and cleats, basketballs and hoops, and golf clubs and shoes. We have a myriad of sports to choose from, and soccer is not at the top of the list.I will tell you who this deal does make sense for: David Beckham! Europe would never pay that much for an over-the-hill superstar; America, however, doesn't know any better.

There are two very simple reasons why America will never embrace soccer the way that the world does. First, we like dominating sports. We get all of the best athletes to come to America to play baseball and basketball, and most of the best football players grow up in America. Americans will not watch second-class professional sports, so they will not want to watch an American league that is far inferior to European counterparts.

Well yes, you're superpowers. If I'm not mistaken, most of the sports you dominate at are the ones invented by you.

But I have to agree, I am a Football fan myself yet I am quite skeptical about David Beckham's transfer. I don't think it will do any good to Football. I think he should have moved back to England instead.

And yes poor people would prefer playing Football than anything else but I think the beauty of the sport is in there. For example, when poor children grow up to be Football stars, they inspire people in turn. And not only that, when nations play in the World Cup, cultural, social, political differences are forgotten at least for a while for the game.

IMO, Football more than any other game, transcends itself from being a mere sport to something else greater than itself.

Well yes, you're superpowers. If I'm not mistaken, most of the sports you dominate at are the ones invented by you.
But I have to agree, I am a Football fan myself yet I am quite skeptical about David Beckham's transfer. I don't think it will do any good to Football. I think he should have moved back to England instead.

And yes poor people would prefer playing Football than anything else but I think the beauty of the sport is in there. For example, when poor children grow up to be Football stars, they inspire people in turn. And not only that, when nations play in the World Cup, cultural, social, political differences are forgotten at least for a while for the game.

IMO, Football more than any other game, transcends itself from being a mere sport to something else greater than itself.

Don't misunderstand me; I was in no way degrading soccer (as we in America call it) nor those who participate in this great sport. I am a huge fan of all sports, because I believe that they have an overwhelmingly positive influence on society.

But I don't think that poor people necessarily "prefer" playing soccer than any other sport- I just think that they don't have a choice. Americans children, on the other hand, oftentimes have the economic support to play whatever sport they wish, so while soccer may be that sport, because it is not the only option, the best athletes in America tend to play different sports.

But again, Americans only want to watch the most elite competition in the world. We call the champion of Major League Baseball the "World Series Champions", when, in reality, the league consists of 29 American teams and one Canadian team. Americans just don't care enough about soccer to watch a second-class league, whose greatest superstar is now a has-been.

I understand what you are saying SportsLegend. Maybe this big paying deal is an attempt to boost the popularity of soccer/football in the United States. Actually you have some good players and your national team is not even that bad. I fear this attempt is futile, just like Robbie Williams trying to conquer the USA with his songs.In my opinion Beckham is going to move to L.A. because his glamour addicted wife and ex-Spice Girl Victoria Beckham wants to become part of the noble Berverly Hills 'high society'. She is tired of living in the dull U.K and in Madrid she cannot stay either. and now needs a challenge - and a new shopping mile :P Back to sports. I really love Basketball and the NBA, but I don't understand why anybody watches Baseball. It is so interruptive, boring and ... boring to watch. But hey, if you like it that is okay. I don't expect any Americans to like soccer either :P Having hosted the last soccer world championship (not me, the country I live in) I however need to tell you that it is a pretty damn popular sports around the globe and it was fun celebrating such an international sports event.

I am not into Soccer/Football as such. I personaly dislike David Beckham, and think all he wants his publicity in this world. The only reason I actualy know about this is because of the news.And again the news bumped up his rating a bit more. Victoria Beckham is just as bad in my eyes.Nothing else to put on this.Have a great day!-Tom

I agree with SportsLegends, it was a huge waste of money to bring Beckham here. It'd be more likely for America to adopt the metric system than to suddenly start liking a sport that is just not part of the culture here. I personally enjoy soccer more than baseball for instance, and think it is much more fast paced and exciting. But our parents and grandparents here in America have grownup with baseball, football (US version),etc...and try to pass that tradition down to thier kids. Bringing one superstar from the UK here isn't going to change that.

The deal is just freakin ridiculous! You cannot make people play a sport when they are not oging to get paid. look at what a stupid thng mls did..they have players that have a salary like $15,000 per year.. eiths either 15 or around 10 thousand.. but anyways, instead of giving all that money to beckham, you could start paying the palyers you have more and that will attract more people. One reason why people don't play soccer when they grow up is because there is no money in the mls...how is this deal going to make those people with a 15, 20 thousand dolar salary feel? mls should be lucky if all the players don't stop playing.. also, soccer is the most played sport in america for teenagers, youth, but the reason they stop playing is because there is no money at the professional level.. a tem has a 2 million cap limit, compared to a mlb,nfl, it is like 100 million. if you are going to invest, than invest on all the playeres that you have, not jsut one.. he will not make a difference. also, with all that money, they could have gotten like 4-5 decent european players..taht could have contributed.. but they just chose beckham because he is popular and theya re hoping to sell some tickets..and i hope it works out..cuz i love soccer..but MLS is like watching a division 3/4 game in europe...its poor soccer.

Victoria Beckham is only riding off the success of her husband IMO.Getting back ontopic regardless if whichever soccer superstar comes to America to promote soccer, the USA will still pretty much be into their sports (eg Baseball, Gridiron, Basketball).. esp if its the only country to play the sport on a major level (eg Gridiron). Its the same in Australia, while Soccer has improved attendance records down under as of the past few years, it will always take a backseat to the major football codes down here (eg Australian Rules Football - in which their major league; the AFL; is the leading football code, followed by Rugby Union (Super 14) and League (NRL)).

I think the reason people focus on one or few sports is because surrounding.Almost every sport has been played by more than two people.If your friends play football,there is no reason for you to play soccer alone.So it will made a great influence if Beckham could show some nice kicks.And soccer is a beautiful sports.It is an art if you understand about it.In my opinion, it's a wonderful sport for making friends and even better than basketball or football.In a soccer game, you can meet with other 21 friend which basketball has only 9.And everyone in the game could probabaly touch the ball which is not in football.That's why football can't be acceptable in other country,everyone wanna be "quarterback" .

they have players that have a salary like $15,000 per year.. eiths either 15 or around 10 thousand.. but anyways, instead of giving all that money to beckham, you could start paying the palyers you have more and that will attract more people.

The Texas Rangers (baseball team) did basically the same thing. A few seasons ago, they brought in Alex Rodriguez. Everyone knows who that guy is. They paid him a record breaking quarter-billion-dollar salary (over the length of his contract - not per season). The idea is to bring in the superhero, superstar athlete in that sport and wait for half of the country to suddenly follow that guy's team with great interest.

It'll work, too. Even though many Americans (including yours truly) don't follow soccer at all, we know who Beckham is. Heck, how can we not? He was all over our news networks and papers long before this deal was in the works.

Bring that guy in and the flow of cash will drown the entire league. Beckham's new team will make money faster than they can spend it. When his team is on the road, people will buy tickets to see him play. The home team (the guys playing against Beckham's team) will make the money off of those sales. The home team will also gain followers because people will feel the need to support their local soccer club once they actually see the team play.

Then other teams, jealous of the fact that Beckham's team has *the* superstar, will demand a huge increase in the salary cap so that they can recruit their own mega-star athletes. And they'll have plenty of cash to do it because soccer will be a LOT more popular in the near future, what with Beckham being here and all.

So...it'll all work out for a lot of people - not just Beckham and his new team. This is just a foot in the door, so to speak. Pro sports are all about money. The owners, managers, union reps, etc. all know how to make money.