xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electron

My Internet Connection The most slowest thing on earth

I reside in India and use hathway Internet which charges me Rs 500 (About 12$) a Month.The speed that i get is 256 kbps-kilo bits per second and not bytes. Also there is a restriction of the amount of dsfer which in my package is 1.5 GB.The biggest problem that i face is the damn slow connection. most of the time it just downloads software at 10 kBps whih when converted to kbps comes to 80kbps(10x8).Also there are frequent disconnections and about 25% the server is down.After repeted compliaints also they are not bothered to fix this and i continue to face problems. Who knows tht while typing ths the server might go down!Does the same happen with others in USA or London also?I hate hathway Internet.

That sounds rather bad, I really wonder how such an ISP can afford to operate. Are there no other viable options for you in India? I can't see people sticking with a service which is so unreliable. To be honest though, 256kbps (as in kilobits) is the way all ISPs show it, is it not? Your monthly charge isn't really that expensive, and I'm not too sure of the competition on India... My friend who was over there, though, told me television was rather bad - he claimed there was only one free to air tv channel, and that the reception was terrible. Maybe it's a general thing with media/communications in India?

The only think I could compare that to would be 28k or 56k telephone line, I would assume that in order to get a better connection you would have to pay out the butt in order to get.Also Asia is still working hard to develop good internet connections, of course then you have those who want total censorship, although I haven't heard to much about that happening India. Then that brings to the 1.5 of download, BW costs a lot of money (somehow) so $12 barely covers that. Of course you could try out proxies and see if you can get a faster response, sometimes you do sometimes you don't. Best of luck on that.

hey dont feel too bad bro, I at one point had some really really sorry internet connections.. that and my pc well that didnt help at all, but with some good funds and a good company you get some good stuff.. now who knows when this will happen for you but be patient.

also there is this site here that you can test your speed and get a result and you can post the resutls on the site..

just to show heere is the link

http://www.speedtest.net/

and here are my results

Posted Image

That doesnt happen to my connection (thank goodness), but I have been getting some down time lately as my connection (its wireless) has not been as good as it used to. The connection is still 4 bars our of 4, but the speed seems slower, and the downloads arent as fast aswell. Hopefully, you can get your problem fixed, as I am seeing what could be the cause to my slower than usual conneciton!

The only think I could compare that to would be 28k or 56k telephone line

You are right, SM, about the 56K dial up. That is all I have right now, plus we are still on a pulse phone system. Even with the ISPs Accelerator program, I am still very slooooowww. Downloads take me hours instead of mins. I find that the "dirty" lines in the neighborhood also cause interference which slows things down as well. I can relate somewhat to electron's problems, but my ISP is more reliable than that.

25% downtime? I get mad when my ISP is down for 2 hours, let alone 25% of the time! No matter what the money issue, if I was in your shoes I would drop that ISP and go with another if it isn't the only one available in your area. But one thing: you're luckier than the other people stuck with 28K and 56K connections, although the 25% downtime brings you down to their level unfortunately.

i don't know if india's connection was also affected by the recent taiwan earthquake. but if that's the case, then you have to endure the effects of the earthquake for now. but if the problem has already happened long ago, then i think you should report that to your ISP provider. they should have an answer to that.

Thats just crappy internet. I'd say get heaps of people together and write heaps of letters to the government, MP's etc. Get the word out there that you think the connection is %^&* compared to other countries. Thats what I'd be doing anyway.I just realised that your connection speed is the same as mine in New Zealand. It's ample for me but the lines could cope with 8gbs, thats why the government is making Telecom unbundle their service so that other companies can use their lines so that the prices are lower. Otherwise I'd be writing to my government, but they are already doing something about it.