xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Stephen Hawking Plans To Go To Outerspace In 2009

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I would say I am shocked that he would do this, I don't think his body could handle this kind of trip. But who knows, this guy is like 10,000 times more smarter then me in like every way. So it might not do anything to him. Heck I don't think I could comprehend any of his books, of course from some sites I saw no one has either :P.

How come smart people always seem crazy? I don't think this man should be doing this. He's too old, and even though he trying to do what's best for the world, he can use his brain somewhere. He just needs to do something easier, like write another book. No need to be anymore of a hero, we don't want to see you get hurt Stephen!

I don't think it's all just for research that he wishes to go into space - I mean, a simply trip into space probably has ample documentation if he wished to collect data.I think it's more a personal fulfillment thing - especially if you read the end of the article, how Hawking believes in finding a new planet for humans to inhabit as a "disaster" could easily end the Earth. In which case, I say good on him for going into space to pursue his dream. If anything it shouldn't be too arduous as it's going to be a commercial kind of trip, considering it's run by Richard Branson and all.

personally iam a real fan of stephen hawking. i like his books and even if i dont understand something in his book i just HAVE TO read it over and over again till i can follow the thoughts. he issome kind of hero for me :P but i dont think that its a good idea to fly out there. he isnt really the fittest and his great mind seems to be trapped in his ill body. sad but trou - he should stay on earth and let other people do researches for him

Sometimes a man has to do what he has to do...Everybody has a dream and won't really rest till they see it accomplished...I think that's the deal with this trip. Instead of asking what he can't do, let's wonder what he CAN and WILL do... ;p

I am not saying he can't do I am all for him. That is is everyone's dream to fly in outer space. However we don't know why outer space can do to someone in his condition. Yeah I am assuming about the worse and I shouldn't but whats good for him is that he will get he proper training from those who know how to do it. Of course though Stephen hasn't used his legs in his whole life that I know of, so when you have half you body useless whats to say how he will be able to work in zero-g. Well I guess we will find out in two years.

I don't think it's all just for research that he wishes to go into space - I mean, a simply trip into space probably has ample documentation if he wished to collect data.
I think it's more a personal fulfillment thing

It's very possible that the his own direct experience with outer space could inspire his abundantly capable mind on the path of even more spectacular ideas than he has already come up with. Much more than some trite personal bewonderment, a direct experience with the universe beyond earth could underscore or newly inspire beliefs of his, whether they are scientific, philosophical or elsewhere. And coming from a genius like him it's very possible that it could lead to new riches in the form of theories or renewed exploration on different subjects he simply hadn't thought of considering.

He's a brilliant man trapped in a crippled body. He wants to at least do it once before whatever he has (ALS?) absolutely consumes him. I mean, he can't talk without mechanical assistance, he's practically hooked up to every kind of machine ever. Someone convince me that that isn't absolutely depressing to be so intelligent and yet dependent on technology like that. I mean, let's look at it this way. He doesn't have many years left. There's nothing wrong with him taking this chance. Stephen has researched space his entire life. It's unknown and beautiful. At least before he dies miserably on Earth (probably from being unplugged), he'll want to witness it. My one "fear" is that he won't survive in Space because the conditions are so hard, and when you're barely getting by on earth, how can you live out there? But he's going to undergo training on the Vomit Comet very soon is what I've heard. Here's to you, Stephen. Maybe this will be peace for you at last.

I am not saying he should do it, Heck I know he know's more about himself then I do, so I know he knows the risks about do this. It may not be depressing, sad but not depressing. He is like a celebrity among celebrity's and more respected then scientists of his caliber who can walk and talk. Heck I would say he would rather be buried in space then in the ground and be with the stars then loves so much.Of course his training will be unique, since I don't recollect anything about him doing any zero-g's in the past.