xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

My Internetless Days Nightmare-ish days

A few days after Christmas, I lost my internet connection. It came back the next day which I was able to tolerate. I lost it that same night again and it came back for almost 3 hours in the afternoon the next day... then I lost it again! This time, I lost it for days. New year passed without me having internet. I know I didn't stock up on a lot of credits, so my site got suspended as expected. I complained to the ISP... and they gave indirect answers at first. I was already annoyed because I needed to do my homework and I couldn't do it without the internet... School was already nearing, so I panicked a bit. I remembered that I had to keep up with my fansubbing group and the scanlation group I work for. I needed to catch up with a lot of stuff~~~ >_<The annoying thing was... they never suggested repairs until recently. They were supposed to come at 4pm today. The guy came at 10am! :P Do they ever listen to instructions!? I shooed them away cause my mom wasn't around and I don't want them to work around here with me being alone. Strangely enough... my connection got fixed after their visit. O_o Does his mere presence miraculously fix the cables? I have no clue. He probably fixed it when I wasn't looking. Well... I don't care as long as I get my internet back.

Many of us have been through those kind of days, best thing to do is wait it out and stuff. Have you tried pulling the plug and then wait a few minutes then plug it back in? That usually helps.

hmmm... didn't you hear the news? you're also from the philippines, and the news said that the internet connection will be intermittent for some time (let's hope it's not too long). the problem was caused by the recent earthquake in taiwan last december and the lines that connect our internet (and apparently, the telephone system as well) got damaged. for optic fibers, i think the restoration would probably be expensive and it would take some time, given the fact that the country was hit by the earthquake.so i guess that answers your question. i'm assuming you have DSL, from the description you have given.

Things like this happen from time to time, even if there?s no problem with internet supply in your country. I think most of Internet providers give their services knowing that not all his clients get connected at the same time... so one day when too much users get on line (holidays for example) the servers get saturation. This could be a reason, but also could be that earthquake or any malfunction of the provider's installations. You need to be patient and remember that there?s life outside but without forgetting that you pay a service and you have all the rights to complain about this fail.

Things like this happen from time to time, even if there´s no problem with internet supply in your country. I think most of Internet providers give their services knowing that not all his clients get connected at the same time... so one day when too much users get on line (holidays for example) the servers get saturation. This could be a reason, but also could be that earthquake or any malfunction of the provider's installations.

actually, it's already in the news, so there's not really any OTHER speculations.... or rather, it's not supposed to be a speculation of some sort. it IS confirmed already. i've already said it in my previous reply. i've mentioned that i'm also from the same country so i also experienced the intermittent connection. before the connection had the problem, i can surf perfectly fine, and i can even download so much using torrents. but after the problem, i could barely download a file... or at least when the problem had just happened.

at least for you it happens only on special / extreme situations (like earthquakes in Taiwan)..well, for me, it happens almost every day...for few minutes to few hours, my internet connection is gone...that is really annoying, trust me...don`t tell me to complain to "them", because I`ve already done that..for a period of time, it was ok..afterwards, the same problems occurred....but anyway: after such a long time (almost 2 years with this ISP), I think I`m getting used to it :P

Edited by hts (see edit history)

I remember hearing about that, that would make some sense as to why her internet would go down. So she really had no choice but to wait it out until they fixed it.Of course they failed ot mention the fact this earthquake could have been the cause of the internet down time and that service would be down until a later date that would have made more sense.

Um, ok, so, I'd really have to say that you don't have a life if you can't survive a few days without internet. I've gone without internet for entire months and, hey, I'm still here and none the worse for wear.I think.I could even write a rant on my own about how it's really lame when people spend like five hours a day wasting away time on the web. In fact, I'd like to write a rant about people who use the internet for entertainment in general have no life. Then again, this is a forum, so saying that might just be a tiny bit hypocritical, hmmm?

Yeah I heard about it from the news. The thing was, the DSL people told me it was just my area that had a problem and told me to check cable connections. It was fine! It's their problem... :P I mean... if there's a problem with them, they should just say it. I lost my connection momentarily from Dec. 28-29. It came back on the 29th for almost 3 hours then disconnected again... this time until yesterday.

*mbacarra, I love that Death Note sig. XD "Kyukikikikikiki" Reminds me of the lovely days when I played Mario Kart the whole day*

Um, ok, so, I'd really have to say that you don't have a life if you can't survive a few days without internet. I've gone without internet for entire months and, hey, I'm still here and none the worse for wear.

Possibly. :P I don't mind people telling me that, but if I didn't have a life, I'd be dead, don't you think?

Yeah I heard about it from the news. The thing was, the DSL people told me it was just my area that had a problem and told me to check cable connections. It was fine! It's their problem... :P I mean... if there's a problem with them, they should just say it. I lost my connection momentarily from Dec. 28-29. It came back on the 29th for almost 3 hours then disconnected again... this time until yesterday.

hmm... it's either they're trying to deny the fact that the connection had gone berserk, or they're trying not to make their customers panic, which already happened so they're probably resorting to the former. anyway, the downtime started on December 27, 11 am to be exact. i know because i was online at that time then all of the sudden the connection was gone. i got the confirmation from the news. the connection was partially restored i think the following day for some time then got disconnected again, thus being intermittent.

*mbacarra, I love that Death Note sig. XD "Kyukikikikikiki" Reminds me of the lovely days when I played Mario Kart the whole day*

i got it from some blog where i was trying to look for my avatar pic.

Um, ok, so, I'd really have to say that you don't have a life if you can't survive a few days without internet.

Oookay, I am so... offended is a very harsh word so let's just say my feathers were ruffled a bit, hm?

I use the Internet not only for entertainment but also as a means to keep in touch with the rest of the world. I don't watch TV much 'coz I'm usually asleep when they have the good shows on (they have some pretty good shows, right? Err, right?) We also buy newspapers only on weekends and on Mondays so whatever happens during weekdays completely beats me. I do have a mobile phone but compared to instant messaging, sending even an SMS message seems totally expensive. Lastly, we also have a home phone but like hell I'd divulge that number to anyone who I happen to know!

So that pretty much leaves the Internet as my everything. I blog, check on my friends, chat with other people, leave messages and, most of all, send and receive email on a daily basis. How crucial is it for me to get online daily? Very.

Aside from having a dialup connection and living in an area affected by the Taiwan quake, I am also unfortunate enough to have my connection cut off from time to time. Some completely irreverent souls pilfer great lengths of phone cable, effectively cutting me off. In times of typhoons, I also find my electricity supply cut off. I would have applied for DSL but it was unavailable in our area. I also subscribed for wireless broadband but our house was surrounded by tall structures, making it impossible to get a decent connection.

Life pretty much sucks like that and, despite having a penis, I throw a PMS fit everytime my Internet connection is lost. Do I have no life? I beg to differ; I have a very colorful life online.

Oh, did I mention I was a computer science student on top of that? :P

Yeah I hear you man, I lost my internet and I was frustrated because most of the files on my computer need the internet. Also, I lost credits and am now trying to get them back up! I hope that the cable will ease my pain of disconnecting all the time. I hate wireless internet because it is so unreliable. I know a lot of people with it though, because they don't want to spend the money on cable, and each and everyone complains about the disconnection issues. The worst was when my firewall or something interfered with my internet. I would be connected but I wouldn't be able to do anything. Hope you get better internet days my friend. Cheers,Jester

Whenever my internet connection goes down, I try all of the things customer support always asks if I have done. Restart the computer, modem everything like that. Then I check their answerphone thingy (you know the press 1 press 2 crap) to see if they are having any technical difficulties. If they are I wait, after a few hours I feel that they have had enough time to try to fix the problem and I ring. If there aren't any technical difficulties I ring them.

I would ask them what is going on and what they are doing to fix it, remind them that I am a paying customer and that I pay for this service, asking for a supervisor really freaks them out if they aren't co-operating with you *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*. Then just do what they tell you.

I would be annoyed of having no internet connection, but I'd try to find a way around it. Like going to the library, neighbours, friend's houses who have the internet etc. Yes I'm addicted to the net, so I would find a way to get around having no connection ;)

Oh lord have I been there. Which is why I keep my trusty gameboy around. The thing that makes me the most mad though is when your power goes out. Then you even lose your computer + the internet. Then when my internet goes out i have to unplug everything and wait for the power to come back on then plug it in and pray it works. Its a pain the the neck