xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yratorm, LightMage

Metabolism (and How To Control It), Eating And Over-eating How naturally slim people stay slim

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your way of how to increase your metabolism. By increasing your metabolism, I assume that most people here are wanting to lose weight. Eating several meals in a day instead of the normal three meals a day is completely wrong. Why is it wrong? It's not healthy and the three meals a day was invented so you can stay active and not be fatigue during the day.

I would just like to state that people here should eat three meals a day instead of seperating your meals and eating whenever they are hungry. Eating several small meals in a day rather than a one or two large ones is very unhealthy and will actually help you gain weight. If you really want to lose weight, you should eat a nutrional breakfast (I recommend milk, apple, bread (wheat), orange(s) (juice)). Why? If you eat a nutrional breakfast it will kick-start your day with nutrition and you will be more active which is the key to losing weight. You will also not be as "hungry" during lunch so you won't eat that much.

But the main key to losing weight is to eat very nutritional meals and exercise. Of course, you don't need to do any "major" weight lifting to lose weight. You could try to "walk as fast as you can around the neighborhood for as long as you can manage" as Yratorm, LightMage has clearly said. This is very healthy and really will help you lose weight. Weight lifting doesn't necessarily help you lose any weight. As for nutrition, you should drink plenty of water. If you are extremely overweight you should eat more proteins and stay away from the carbs. Fruits and vegetables are your best best but you still have to have some intake of proteins or you could have some serious health problems later.

Hopefully, this has given you a meaningful understanding of the appropriate way to lose weight. Some people starve themselves which is completely wrong and shouldn't be done. :P

Edited by BordaForx (see edit history)

If you take in the same amount of calories, I don't see how one meal or several makes the slightest difference.

As for several meals 'being unhealthy' - how do you figure that, really? Your culture tells you that? If the meals are light enough you're not going to feel sluggish.

I HAVE NOT, anywhere, advised anyone to gorge themselves.

I eat several meals a day myself, and I don't have an inch of fat on me, I'm EXTREMELY active, not sluggish at all, and very fit.

I have SAID that a 'meal' could be something as light as an apple or a sandwich, I've said you have to watch the calories - and I am repeating myself, so I'd better not say any more.

BordaForx has some excellent points on taking in adequate nutrition. Still, make sure you take in less than you burn, or you're sunk. And remember that any exercise has to up your heart rate for maximum effect. Aw, repeating myself again. 'nuff said.

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your way of how to increase your metabolism. By increasing your metabolism, I assume that most people here are wanting to lose weight. Eating several meals in a day instead of the normal three meals a day is completely wrong. Why is it wrong? It's not healthy and the three meals a day was invented so you can stay active and not be fatigue during the day.

it was already mentioned before that the derivative of the meals should be accompanied with proper exercise. it doesn't mean that just because you're breaking down two to three major meals into "snacks" doesn't mean you're taking in too much. :P and it was also mentioned beforehand that the snacks to be taken are just light ones.

and for once, the topic is about increasing metabolism. i already know the purpose of having a breakfast and which kinds of foods to take so i won't get hungry during the day.

It was really of huge help, trust me. I kind of thought about the body being trained to eat at certain times, and sometimes I do notice that I am not hungry at those times some days. It really just depends on what you do in the day. That thing about eating what the body desperately needs is really good thinking, I am going to think more about what my body needs from now on.

It was really of huge help, trust me. I kind of thought about the body being trained to eat at certain times, and sometimes I do notice that I am not hungry at those times some days. It really just depends on what you do in the day. That thing about eating what the body desperately needs is really good thinking, I am going to think more about what my body needs from now on.

Some interesting thoughts there, flakes - I concur. I'm actually going to try the 'lifestyle' changes that master_bacarra and Yratorm (in another thread) recommend. I have to admit I'm really out of condition, besides having hypertension and knee problems, and so I kind of thought my descent into complete 'stasis' was inevitable, hehe. But I'm going to make a strong honest effort to turn things around, so thanks for the inspiration, Yratorm AND master_bacarra - I owe you both :P

I kind of thought my descent into complete 'stasis' was inevitable

Hehe, 'descent into complete stasis' - very funny, hagar :P

Speaking as a fitness instructor, I'd say that upping the heart rate was the most important point, however you do it - by stair climbing, running, brisk walking, cycling, swimming - your choice.

Second most important would be the moving around a lot - it's actually why a lot of slim people stay slim.

I must add the 'six-light-meals' techniques to my 'knowledge base' - thanks, Yratorm. Incidentally, I tried it (I like to test things out) it doesn't make you feel sluggish or drowsy.

Good post here. Still waiting for your self defense masterpiece, Yratorm - kidding :D But it would be nice.

Hehe, 'descent into complete stasis' - very funny, hagar :(

Speaking as a fitness instructor, I'd say that upping the heart rate was the most important point, however you do it - by stair climbing, running, brisk walking, cycling, swimming - your choice.

:P

Second most important would be the moving around a lot - it's actually why a lot of slim people stay slim.

I must add the 'six-light-meals' techniques to my 'knowledge base' - thanks, Yratorm. Incidentally, I tried it (I like to test things out) it doesn't make you feel sluggish or drowsy.

Good post here. Still waiting for your self defense masterpiece, Yratorm - kidding :( But it would be nice.

Ellen! I love your signature regarding mountains, they truly are a fortress from man and his conquering spirit (speaks to my heart) and you're image of them is absolutely beautiful. :( Where did you get that cool mountain image? Speaking of - I bet climbing mountains is an excellent way to up the heart rate and control metabolism/weight issues. Yes? I'm not an expert like you, but it would seem to make sense. I live in a mountainous environment and it certainly does seem to build the stamina over time, as well as keep a check on weight and metabolism. After you get used to breathing the thin air, descending to the lowlands is a walk in the park, as it were.

I see you're from Hungary, and I imagine you get snow in the winter like I do at 49 degrees North. As a fitness instructor, I think it would be awesome if you started a thread on the subject of staying fit and maintaining a healthy metabolic rate in the dead of winter. That can sometimes be a challenge for folks who don't own treadmills or have access to gyms....like me. And sometimes it's so cold outside, it's all I can do to drag myself out there for a morning walk. In January, I usually have to rub my face down with lotion so my skin won't crack, but I can't stop my eyes from watering from the cold. So something that would address those of us living in remote, cold settings would be very much appreciated. Speaking of, do you instruct in gyms or freelance? Anyway, look forward to hearing more from an expert in the field of fitness. I for one would love to see some tutorials from you! :(

Brisk walking especially after meals is a good way to maintain a slim body. Especially for sedentary people. The daily food intake simply provides more calories than needed and all other excess is stored as fat. The required food intake depends on body metabolism. Sedentary individuals have lower metabolic rates and therefore require lower food intake. Lying down immediately after eating is not advised. We need to exercise and in case that is not possible, at least walking after taking meals should be a good exercise

that

Metabolism (and How To Control It), Eating And Over-eating

[Replying to Yratorm, LightMage,44258,302387]

That's a load of crap. I've been skinny my whole life. I've always ate as much as my fat relatives and have gained more than a couple pounds. The only thing that has ever increased my weight was lifting. In the last 2 years of working out, I've gained something between 10 and 15 pounds. It's the ONLY thing that's ever worked.

And come on man! skinny people aren't thin cause they're a bunch of fidgety crackheads (I know you didn't say crackhead but I like how it sounds). I know a fat girl named teal and she never shuts up when I go to her brother's house, and she fidgets around like a retard on coke. And she's faaat. Me, I'm always taking it easy, but if I stop benching, then I start losing weight.

According to your little theory that's a parodox... And dude, ask most doctors about genetic metabolism, and they will tell you: it does vary. A lot.

-reply by Isaiah

You couldnt be more right. I agree with everything you said and your post also made me realize a lot of things that I could improve. The times in which people eat here in Mexico are in the morning (I guess breakfast applies to everyone in the world) then the strong meal at 2pm and another light meal at night around 8 - 10pm. I have also noticed that many times I just eat because I know it is time to eat, but not because I am hungry, sometimes my stomach just hurts and I dont really want to eat anything. I also suffer from heartburn, and one of the foods that affects me the most is ketchup, but its so good that I really cant live without it..