xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

Stitches How to prevent it whilst running?

I had to investigate what stitches are, for all I know is that you get stitches when you are cut.... I found out that stitches are an acute pain, is it the pain you get in one side of your ribs when you dont breathe correctly? Because I usually get that a lot, but it is related to my bad breathing problems, I got my tonsils removed too.

This is due to your posture, power and speed. Other minor reasons involve food and water, but if you read my other posts you'll understand why eating plays an important role.Firstly posture.Your back must be straight, and ALL of your upper body must be relaxed (as stated by someone above, ty). Sprinters use the arms for power, whereas, long distance runners use arms for balance.Your elbow when coming forward shouldn't pass your stomach and your hand when coming backwards shouldnt pass your stomach also. Thats alot shorter movement then a sprinter. So your saving so much energy.So, practice relaxing your shoulders letting your arms swing, rather then pumping them. Remember, your running with you legs not your arms. This should take more stress off your stomach and upper body.Legs.When sprinting your knee comes up in line with your hips (even higher at times). But when jogging, your feet should only swing 45 degrees. Your knees will bend, but only slightly. What your trying to do is move with motion and as little effort as possible.When your feet touch the ground your heal must make contact, then the whole sole of the foot makes contact, then onto the toe to push off. In your discription above, you must be using your upperbody to gain extra speed by slightly leaning your chest forward. This is the sprinting style. When I do endurance runs I get stitches because I train to sprint. Its hard for me to adjust when I go for a jog. But my excuse is that I do drills each day for sprints. It doesnt bother me because I can understand why it hurts. Im putting too much power into a long run. Of course I'm going to get tired, but there is no point me adjusting as it would take too long to adjust back.Imagine when you run your feet are like an army tanks belt rotation. Rather then a sprinter is more like the pistons of an engine.This is hard for me to describe. Look at some videos on youtube of long distance races. Watch how effortless they move.

When you run lean backwards. When I was running with someone who ran track for 5-6 years he explained it to me and a few others.More or less what happens is most people run leaning forward. Doing so closes up your lungs so that you aren't getting the full amount of oxygen that you would otherwise. By running straight up or leaning backwards a little(if you watch track runners you will notice they do it) you open your lungs more, thus allowing more oxygen in.Aside from that the stitches I think is from being out of shape. This doesn't mean fat or anything, it means you don't run all the time on a normal basis. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

This is the same thing that I've heard. It has to do with bad running posture and lack of oxygen getting to the lungs.One way to get rid of stitches while running (not too fast) is to raise the arm on the side where you have stitches above your head. Basically, make your upper arm parallel to the ground and put your palm behind your head. This will pull your back straighter, improving your posture. Additionally, it will open up your chest cavity on that side, giving your lungs more room to expand. I've used this before while running and it works quite well.Regards,z.

There are several ways to prevent... bad things like this. 1. Warm up slowly. 2. Perform several short sprints (<100m) before and after a workout. This opens up your lungs. Be sure to stretch before this to avoid cramps or pulled muscles. 3. Control breathing. This has already been mentioned, but the method that I use personally is 3 breaths in, then 1 breath out. The third breath may feel a little unnatural at first, but it works extremely well. (Switch to 2 breaths in, 1 breath out when running faster than 70% or going up a hill.)4. Don't eat before running. This is bad.