xisto Community
Lobosque

What Is... Deja Vu.

Sounds interesting. I have experienced it may times. It is really , something strange. It makes me feel, i am in that place , doing things which i have already done there many times before. On watching the movie ,Matrix i really started believing there might be something more to it. That too, when Neo is informed by the Oracle , "You have already made the choice. But you are here to understand , why you made it. " I spent sleepless night thinking over this !!!!!!!!!

It's actually having the feeling of being in a place or a situation before even if you havent. Like when you go visit a museum, you feel like you've been there before even if it's your first time there. Or when you get into a situation, you feel like "hey, this has happened before", even if it hasnt.In psychology, it's quite normal to have these feelings once in a while.

You know the 'arrow of time' is linked to the third law of thermodynamics, which is, in one word, entropy. That is, things have a tendency to revert to chaos. Or, it takes more energy to make a thing than to break it.

Sorry for the technicalities - bear with me.

Now, our experience of the arrow of time is from 'past to future' BUT the reality of time need not be what it seems to be to human senses.

Human senses have evolved NOT to perceive the true reality of the universe, but have evolved based on SURVIVAL of the fittest. So that what we 'perceive' to be true might not be reality at all. Consider that what seem to be 'solid objects' to our senses are actually largely empty space.

That said, it just may be that time isn't the journey from past to future that human consciousness makes it appear to be - perhaps it's more like a field of endless possibilities, where all probabilities are possible!

And that said, just perhaps, what we call 'deja vu' is not even remembering the past or future, but instead perceiving an event from another possible past or future, a perception of a random event plucked by random probability from the sheet of time.

That said, it just may be that time isn't the journey from past to future that human consciousness makes it appear to be - perhaps it's more like a field of endless possibilities, where all probabilities are possible!

And that said, just perhaps, what we call 'deja vu' is not even remembering the past or future, but instead perceiving an event from another possible past or future, a perception of a random event plucked by random probability from the sheet of time.

Much as the views of a probabilistic universe tend to disturb my very soul, I would have to agree. There may be a lot more to the world than what we perceive.

thank you

the term "deja vu" mean : already considering

Yes, we all know that. Also, the "What is..." forum is probably more suited to discussions about a term rather than the mere statement of what it denotes or what the dictionary (or heaven forbid, Wikipedia) says it means ;)

I don't know how many of you have experienced it.....but I sure have. It's usually from a dream that I ahve and anywhere from 1-6 months after that dream I will be in a situation where I feel like i've been doing or seeing it before. Like at one moment....everything just clicks. All the angles and views, the action that is going on.....sometimes even the discussion. It's crazy but i've felt deja vu. Now IDK if it's all in my head or what....but i've felt it and it's pretty neat. I like it and just smile whenever it occurs. I try to explain to people but they're just like yea whatever.

What's even weirder is when you your your original dream pops back into your head a few moments before, so you know something is about to happen a little before it actually does (rather then "remembering" during or after). Crazy stuff; hopefully someone will figure it out for sure one day so I can find out why it happens. :P

I don't agree with the whole past life experience stuff. I'm sorry I just don't. I'm too stuck in this Matrix that my physics teacher shows me. Same reason I don't believe in God. If my crappy survival of the fittest senses can't work it out then I can't work it out. I don't believe in God becuase I can't see him, get me? Although I do ponder on things such as god I do normally end up just reverting back to what I thought before, what is written in physics books.Anyway, someone once told me what they belive deja vu is and I think it's the best explanation for it that I have heard.The brain thinks quicker than our nerves and senses and sometimes if our sense send information to our brain in two parts, such as YOUR RIGHT HAND JUST TOUCHED AN OVEN, then it sent THE OVER IS HOT. You move your hand away, though it takes a second due to this sensory delay. Also, some senses are faster than others, for example touching something hot automatically makes you withdraw your hand but trying to press the stop button when the screen goes red (like on reaction tests).So, say one sense says WE ARE IN THIS SITUATION, your brain reconginses this and logs it in memory, then ANOTHER sense says WE ARE IN THIS SITUATION your brain loads it's memorys (though it has no idea how old they are) and goes, WOW, we've beem here before.Therefore, under this theory, deja vu (in most cases, of course the whole dream thing is not explained) is merely a sensory 'delay' as our brain goes to quickly...That was quite hard to explain, do you all understand what I mean?

I got what u've said hybridsystem :P it's quite nice explanation :D and it's very nice that you don't believe in god since you "can't see" Him. -back to topic-

well I know few friends who talks about past lifes, matrix stuff and things about dejavu's explanation, I just had one question for them.. "did you find it out by yourself or you just simply believe what other people said when your mind said 'hey it's a nice explanation' ? ", so how about it.. ?

I agree with something u said hybridsystem, we simply often decide something by our memory or past experience (sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad -how good or bad is relative- ) when doing, facing and act on things.. :D

In recent years, déjŕ vu has been subjected to serious psychological and neurophysiological research. The most likely explanation of déjŕ vu is that it is not an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather an anomaly of memory; it is the impression that an experience is "being recalled". [citation needed] This explanation is substantiated by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where and how the earlier experience occurred) are quite uncertain. Likewise, as time passes, subjects can exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjŕ vu itself, but little to no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) they were "remembering" when they had the déjŕ vu experience. In particular, this may result from an overlap between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the present) and those responsible for long-term memory (events which are perceived as being in the past). Many theorists believe that the memory anomaly occurs when one's conscious mind has a slight delay in receiving perceptive input. In other words, the unconscious mind perceives current surroundings before the conscious mind does. This causes one's conscious self to perceive something that is already in one's memory, even though it was in one's memory only a split second before it was perceived.

A clinical correlation has been found between the experience of déjŕ vu and disorders such as schizophrenia and anxiety,[9] and the likelihood of the experience considerably increases with subjects having these conditions. However, the strongest pathological association of déjŕ vu is with temporal lobe epilepsy. This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of déjŕ vu is possibly a neurological anomaly related to improper electrical discharge in the brain. As most people suffer a mild (i.e. non-pathological) epileptic episode regularly (e.g. the sudden "jolt", a hypnagogic jerk, that frequently occurs just prior to falling asleep), it is conjectured that a similar (mild) neurological aberration occurs in the experience of déjŕ vu, resulting in an erroneous sensation of memory.

It has been reported that certain recreational drugs increase the chances of déjŕ vu occurring in the user. Some pharmaceutical drugs, when taken together, have also been implicated in the cause of déjŕ vu. Taiminen and Jääskeläinen (2001) reported the case of an otherwise healthy male who started experiencing intense and recurrent sensations of déjŕ vu on taking the drugs amantadine and phenylpropanolamine together to relieve flu symptoms. He found the experience so interesting that he completed the full course of his treatment and reported it to the psychologists to write-up as a case study. Due to the dopaminergic action of the drugs and previous findings from electrode stimulation of the brain (e.g. Bancaud, Brunet-Bourgin, Chauvel, & Halgren, 1994), Taiminen and Jääskeläinen speculate that déjŕ vu occurs as a result of hyperdopaminergic action in the mesial temporal areas of the brain.

The similarity between a déjŕ vu-eliciting stimulus and an existing, but different, memory trace may lead to the sensation. Thus, encountering something which evokes the implicit associations of an experience or sensation that cannot be remembered may lead to déjŕ vu. In an effort to experimentally reproduce the sensation, Banister and Zangwill (1941) used hypnosis to give participants posthypnotic amnesia suggestions for material they had already seen. When this was later re-encountered, the restricted activation caused by the posthypnotic amnesia resulted in three of the 10 participants reporting what the authors termed paramnesias. Memory-based explanations may lead to the development of a number of non-invasive experimental methods by which a long sought-after analogue of déjŕ vu can be reliably produced that would allow it to be tested under well-controlled experimental conditions.

Interesting isn't it?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
What's more interesting is that you copied this from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_Vu

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

This is quite interesting, and i dount found any topic about itHere it goes:

Yes that's right....Once when I was in pre-school a girl punched me in the face when I went down a slide......I remembered that girls face in the back of my mind apparently. She was in my 6th grade class and when I saw her I thought I have seen her somewhere. So my mom (my mom was the recess teacher in my prehschool and she saw the girl hit me) pointed out that she hit my in prehschool. That is a feeling of Deja Vu not when you realize that the person is the person from a time, but when you think you know them. Deja Vu is an extremely wierd thing.

deja vuWhat Is... Deja Vu.

Well I've recently seen fringe and it presents you a rather curious and higly hypothetical explanation to deja vu. So, there is a theory that for every choice we make an infinite number of diferent realities are created containing each and every single one a diferent turnout of events leading to an infinite number of realities. Ok then according to this theory deja vu is a glimpse of a diferent reality where that event has already happened, giving you the impression that, that already happened.[/font]

Of course it is a fiction theory but who knows, there are still many secrets in the universe that we haven't discovered, but it is a really cool and curious theory. [/font]

[/font]

Ok now a little off topic, [/font]hybridsystem I don't really believe in God by the christian or any other realigious ways because they are all based of faith and not on facts, and I really cant believe in something that I can see. Now I am more susceptible that there is a being or an entitie that we refer to as "God" that made everything possible, but for now I really do believe in science and that everything began in the Big Bang. [/font]

[/font]

-reply by meandmyself

I get the feeling of Deja Vu all the time. I get it frequently in school when I am tired walking into a classroom. I am not sure why I get it but it feels sooo weird when it feels as if you have already had the experience before.