xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Firefox Updates To Version 2.0.0.1 today ... 12/20/2006

For those who are using Firefox 2.0, there is an update reccomendation issued today for some fixes to the Firefox Browser.

Head over to the Download site and install a new version to have the fixes added to your copy.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=firefox-com&utm_medium=referral

What kind of fixes? Whats wrong with the firefox 2.0 version? Is it a really important update?

Maybe thats why my ff seem to freeze and crash sometimes.

After some digging these were the security issues with 2.0

MFSA 2006-76 XSS using outer window's Function object

MFSA 2006-75 RSS Feed-preview referrer leak

MFSA 2006-73 Mozilla SVG Processing Remote Code Execution

MFSA 2006-72 XSS by setting img.src to java script: URI

MFSA 2006-71 LiveConnect crash finalizing JS objects

MFSA 2006-70 Privilege escallation using watch point

MFSA 2006-69 CSS cursor image buffer overflow (Windows only)

MFSA 2006-68 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.0.9/1.8.1.1)

Now their are individual links to these bugs that will explain more click this link to find out.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also you don't need to download it since you will get a pop up saying that FF Version 2.0.X has a new update and then you can download it from there.

Maybe thats why my ff seem to freeze and crash sometimes.
After some digging these were the security issues with 2.0

I didn't have any problems with the new Firefox... I isn't much of an improvement if you ask me, but that is because is it almost perfect. I find it great that they release updates so often.

OFF TOPIC: I just hate my language is the only one not supported in Firefox 2.0. Hope somebody will translate it soon...

Mine auto installed when I opened Firefox up. But it is now able to be used with windows vista. And apparently they fixed some ERROR messages.Other then that everything is about the same. Check out the "Updates Page" to see what they did exactly to it.

adriantc: Then join the translation team. Complaining is easy but if you ever tried translating software you'd realize that doing a decent translation is kind of hard to achieve...
...this site might be a good start for a romanian Firefox: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Localization

What kind of fixes? Whats wrong with the firefox 2.0 version? Is it a really important update?

There's usually lots of stuff wrong with software, a rough estimate would be one bug in a hundred lines of code...

...depending on your surfing habits these changes probably won't affect you too much since only the fourth number has changed (2.0 -> 2.0.0.1; the first number is for major releases --lots of new features--, the second is for minor updates --fixing important stuff, adding small features--, updates with even less changes than on the minor level can probably ignored if they don't fix anything happening to you on a regular basis or if you don't want to be on the bleeding edge all the time...)

delivi: How exactly did you find out about Firefox 2 having more bugs than IE 5? Given the amount of bugs IE 5 has even today, this is a somewhat risky claim, especially if you don't back it up...

Edited by brainless (see edit history)