xisto Community
Matrixdudej

Christmas Tree

Hey i just wanted to know is there anything about christmas that relates to a tree?as far as i know and i am a christian the story of christmas is about three kings who cam to see jesus a manger in which he would be born a five hundred year old prophecy of his birth and a star that would lead the three kings to baby jesus so does anyone know what a christmas tree really has to do with christmas?

Well the date of Christmas is nowhere near what is believed to be Jesus's birthdate, so not a lot of Christmas has a lot to do with anything. The tree as we know it today has its origins in 16th Century Germany. A small fir tree was covered with apples, nuts, dates, pretzels and paper decorations and placed in a guild-house for the benefit of the member's children. This steadily evolved into what we have today.

There is a lot more interesting history here [wikipedia].

As said not much of xmas is actually christianwithout starting a debate i belive that the xmas tree, as partially suggested by the wiki, came from paganism, let me explain - firstly paganism has close links with nature and trees, also yule, which is the pagan "equivalent" of xmas on the 21st is a celebration of (mythically not technically or literally!) the triumph of light over dark (as the days get longer) and it involves oak trees and, i think, the holy tree so the presence of a tree in a pagan dwelling would be very apt. And the lights on it could be in relevance to the days getting longer and welcoming the light back. (This is mostly speculation on my part).Paganism is also where the christmas log comes from, though it wasnt chocolate! :lol: Of course the tree idea could cme from so many places i dont think anyone can definitvely say where it came from!

As far as I know, the so-called Christmas tree originated from the barbarians who lived in what is now Germany. The barbarians, as they were colonized by the Romans, were exposed to the mainstream culture, and more importantly vice versa. The tree itself may have come from the closeness to nature of that area's religion, or perhaps it was a phallic symbol. Either way, the Romans adopted it into the custom of Saturnalia, along with holly and garlands.Christianity, as it was rising out of obscurity with approval of Constantine, sought a way to gain the favor of an entire empire. Taking away all the merry "pagan" customs of the people while establishing institutions that, as far as the people were concerned, were the products of a religious cult would have been quite unpopular. Therefore, Christianity superimposed its own customs on top of the pre-existing pagan ones, so the festivities already set in motion might continue without conflict. Such is the case of Christmas. The birth of Christ is estimated to be in the spring, yet the date of Jesus's birth is placed on December 25 because of the uncanny proximity to Saturnalia, the feast honoring Saturn.Being that Christmas was dropped on top of Saturnalia, the customs of Saturnalia even continued through Christmas. Holly, Christmas trees, merrymaking, and even naked caroling in England until Oliver Cromwell, were part of Christmas festivities.

Hey i just wanted to know is there anything about christmas that relates to a tree?.. so does anyone know what a christmas tree really has to do with christmas?

1. There is no relation between Christmas and the Tree. But people in any feast are preparing Food, biscuits , making fun and decorating. On of decorating to Christmas is the Fir Tree or evergreen tree. It Started to be used as decoration for the Chrismass from 16th Century in Germany and this spread-ed to all Europe. Americans were learning about Christmas by the German immigrants. This steadily evolved into what we have today from decoration and lightening it. Decorations with candle light is seen from the begin of 1800, because of the risk of fire it is changes later for artificial light. Russian and all former Soviet Union was using The fir Tree as Symbol of NEW Year.

2. Christian weren't celebrate Jesus Birthday but Easter. In that time no one was celebrating birthdays as we do now. Easter is the main rock in Christianity. Without Easter no Christianity. People their greeting were "Jesus risen" and if the other answer "truly risen" mean he/she is Christian. But Christian started celebrate it since 400.

3. ?Christmas? is derived from the Old English title ?Cristes Maesse? which means ?The Mass of Christ.? . In Arabic we used "Aid Al Mi lad" i.e "feast of the Birth" or "feast of nativity."

4. I believe the most important point is Christmas is Jesus Birthday It is for celebrating the birth of Jesus and Christmas tree is a decoration in some parts of world to the Christmas Feast. For example in middle east the Christ mass tree is not a decoration for the Christmas.

5. It is my position that Christmas is not pagan once Jesus in the celebration. doesn't matter if many customs have gravitated to Christmas that have pagan origins. It doesn't matter if people used what were used before Christianity to express pleasure and fun. Every day we invited or adopted new methods to celebrate. This exactly as people using Chin ease firework for celebration does not mean you become Chin ease. And using old musical instrument is not mean you become pagan. Doesn't matter what was edited by individuals in the wikipedia [all we know anybody can ad or edit].

6. Moreover, we have not to debate the date of Christmas. It was established by investigation and decision of both East and West Churches. So we are after 2000 year can not challenge that sitting in our place, Do we argue when G Washington born or Queen Victoria took the crown. The present date be the origin of the feast in East or West, Paul of Emesa and Cyril of Alexandria in their sermons show that the December celebration was then firmly established between 427 and 433. The difference between 25 December when the west celebrate Christmas and the 7 January [where the eastern churches celebrate the Christmas IS DUE TO THE DIFFERENT CALENDARS. It is between who adopted Julian Calender or who do not.

If your all wondering why christmas is no where near Jesus birthday, it was because when britan turned christan they ahd to celbrate christmas, and as they already held WInter festivals to keep the people happy during the down time of the winter. So they replaced winter festive with christmas, and that was a long time ago. When americans were still native :lol:.