xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)ark

Can't Concentrate I cant do my homework

Very same thing happens to me. Subjects which i dis-like more at school I don't pay enough attention, but deep inside me I know I should. What I do is just make myself turn the computer off and go down stairs. The thing with me, I then start to wonder:What's going on?Have I missed something?And then that brings my mind of studying as well. I just have to sit down and basically make my self do it. That's the way I do things, probably not the best, but it works for me. And that is what it is about, you find the thing what works best for you. :P

All you need to is find a place in your house that is suited for working and no playing, also you need to put your computer away while doing so so you will not be tempted to go and play in the computer and look ant forums like trap-17. Also, you can take fluent 2 minutes break so you will not be so stressed out while either doing your home work or studying for a big test. So there you have it do that and i think you will have a getter time at school and you will get better grades as well!

I think this is a problem with me too and many other guys out there. I recommend thinking about your future when you sit on the computer. I know this is a stupid advice but that is the only thing that separates the nerds from me. They always tell me my life is boring but it will be so fun afterwards. Its true what they say you know. What you could do is tell your mom to monitor you like she sits with you and does not let you go like anywhere so yeah that could be helpful. Also if you have any good friends you can call them over and you both can do it together its not so boring when you have someone with you.

It's happening to me right now. I should be reading a book. But I set time aside to do my work and such. At that time, I make my brother go on so that I can't get tempted to go on. He gives very mad when I try to go on the computer when he's on. Well, good luck with it.

Final)ark, I will to tell you a few things that you will likely never hear, again.

According to Thom Hartman (ADD: A Different Perception) there are two basic kinds of people… hunter & gatherers and farmers.

Learning institutions are physically stagnant. This means that there is very little learning in motion. Schools, predominantly, cater to farmer kids.

You sound like a hunter, gatherer. Hunters scan and can learn in motion. Farmers have the advantage of intense, single-point focus.

I am a hunter. Though, I can force-feed my mind (business analysis, music compositions and arrangements, nuclear engineering), I cannot maintain a permanent interest in stagnant settings, indefinitely. Does this sound familiar?

This is a farmers’ world. There are less than 2% pure hunters (Thom Hartman, again).

Solution?

Use your ability to focus on specific goals, but don’t fight your inner nature to scan. In time, it is possible to train yourself to think on 3 to 5 tracks.

This is done by shifting your attention from one track of thought to another, keeping your mind constantly in motion. This satisfies inner mind anxieties and allows you to function smoothly and efficiently, but naturally.

If you understand that this is possible (I shift thought tracks, effortlessly), then, you will develop an ability that will amaze others. Hunters can outperform farmers on their own turf with this innate ability. You can use your multi-track superpower (LOL) to help others.

Then again, maybe I’m a crazy person with delusions of superiority. But that wouldn’t explain everything that I have been able to accomplish.

Don’t believe: just think about it.

Notice from rvalkass:

Please look at the last post date before replying. The last post before yours was February, and the topic was started back in December 2006. Especially with advice topics like this, try to avoid reviving old topics.

britneysbto - Could you explain in detail coz ur advice makes a deep sense to me.

Can't Concentrate

I am also suffering from a same problem where I am able to concentrate on studies only when it damn needed - when the exam dates are closer, and I seem to get good grades even after that. You guys will be surprised to know that I recently completed my masters degree with the same problems...I am now doing this certification course which is not that difficult for me but it seems like the problem of procrastination is still the same.

I also always thought that learning in motion is the bet style of learning and the most educational institutions are more of a rote learning styled than motion learning.

Britneysbto, your reply was great and it resonates with me because I have almost forgotten a lot of things I learnt in Uni and can only remember most of the things where things were used in practice.

Please explain in detail, or else if you are busy, you could guide me to a book or something which explain this topic in detail.

Thank you.

-reply by Saurabh