xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mojoman

The Uk's Olympic Bid a Rant =)

Recent government figures have placed the cost of the UKs Olympic Games at ?8,000,000,000. 8 BILLION pounds. or 13 BILLION dollars US. Given that we have a housing crisis an underfunded Health Service, no room in our prisons and that we cannot seem to equip our army properly even though it is FIGHTING A WAR. Do we think that this money is well spent?? I say hell no. People seem to think that the revenues raised by the games will more than make up for this outlay. Wrong. All the money from visitors will go into the local economy of London, fantastic if you live in London, ask countries such as Korea what happened to all the facilities they built for the games. 2 Billion is being spent on "redevelopment" of the areas around the new stadia. Great that will really help those of us in Yorkshire, 300 bloody miles away. Oh, we forgot that those figures dont include security.I say make London pay for the games as no-one else in the country will see any benefit for the ?113 per person that we will spend on the Olympics. The Chancelor has just announce a raise in fuel duty of 5p a litre (Americans, take note of the next figure) bringing the cost of petrol to 93p a litre ($1.70c). Now the government says this is to protect the environment. I drive 16m a day to work. If petrol costs ?5 a litre i will still have to drive 16m. Co-incidently the government has also announced an increase in the amount of money given to schools. So my fuel tax is paying for education. Fine, no problem. However, i can find you ?8 BILLION to invest in education. Oh can we also have back the ?400,000,000 that you spent on the Scottish Parliament building and the ?900,000,000 you spent on the Millenium Dome?I am really glad that i will spend ?113 to watch the Ladies 10meter air pistol. Given that i have already spent ?113 does this mean that i can go watch the events for free? Oh yeah i forgot no-taxpayers which increases my overall contribution to about ?150. YAY!What really gets to me about the government is that its lies are so stupid that they would not fool, Dumbo, Head of the Guild of Village Idiots. In England we have a tax called VAT, Value added Tax. A tax that is supposed to be levied on luxury items. If you notice the vast price difference between adults and childrens clothing this is due to VAT as, obviously, me having underpants and shoes is a luxury!If Tony Blair said "Sorry, we are raising fuel tax to invest more money in the health service" fine, no problems. Dont insult me by saying that it is for the "environment" that's my rant :) discuss...

I've got to agree with everything you have said. I live about 50 miles north of London and our council is thinking of every possible way to somehow piggy-back on the Olympic bid and grab funding for transport and sports facilities. The bid is actually probably gonna cost you ?171.43, as the adult tax-paying population of our country is only around 35,000,000.The government makes around ?25 billion each year just from fuel duty, way more than the money it gets from council tax or most other forms of tax. If the money was spent directly counter balancing the effects of the emissions of the cars then that would make sense, but raising it to stop people driving doesn't.

Speaking of Olympics, I have to say that the London's 2012 logo is shocking :\.. what person came up with that shocker :| Although I gotta give credit to the graphic designers for trying though.

I hate the Olympic bid...what the hell...not only are we paying for it out of tax etc... but in the UK we have the national lottery which is ?1 to play and you can win prizes like ?8m so its a lot of money... now if no-one wins it for a certain (and quite long time) or if a winning ticket isnt claimed as i understand it this money goes into funding charities and literally millions of pounds every year must be going into these charity funds...but not any more. the government STOLE, yes they stole (ok so it wasnt illegal but you get my point) money from these charity funds to pay for the frikking Olympics. i dont know the figures but i know it was millions they stole from the lottery.now not only is it expensive to build this Olympics but it will invite more bloody immigrants to this country. As said we dont have enough houses or prison spaces and I'm telling you illegal immigrants take up both so then we dont have enough houses for the "native" residents of this country (and in my opinion we come first over immigrants in housing) and people will use the Olympics as en excuse to come into this country and they wont leave.England is in a shocking state and the Olympics and our thieves of the government just make it worse.

I'd be interested to see how its funded, if the shocker of a logo is anything to go by ^_^ (Personally I hope for their sake that the current London olympics logo is only a interim logo). The olympics in Sydney may have had organisational issues prior to the event, yet Sydney put out a great show and showcased Australia to the World. I'm sure London can put things together when their time comes around, showcasing not only the olympics, but their country in general as well.