xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Tornado Hits North London! winds exceed 100mph, houses wrecked

Tornado Hits North London

Article

Houses were torn, cars were ruined and many people were injured as a tornado hit part of North London, UK. The storm tore off roofs, making roof tiles fall on parked cars and demolish house walls.

Around 100 properties have been affected in some way and several hundred people have been evacuated; they were asked to stay with acquaintances or to be taken to the local church hall. A school has been evacuated too.

One man is hospitalised after having a minor head injury and should be released at a later date, while five are being treated for minor injuries and shock at the place where the incident happened.

Roughly 30 tornadoes hit Britain every year but none are as serious or as news-breaking as this. Thankfully, the storm was fairly localised with only a few streets being effected; however, the families who were troubled by this will have almost certainly had their Christmas plans ruined.

More Detail

Pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More Pictures

[hr=noshade]Thanks to Sky News for providing the information for the article[/hr]

Wow...Guess what.

Anyone living in the UK will know that we have had and are still having some seriously bad weather. What im about to tell you is quite amazing and is an extremely rare happening here in the UK.

Today in the afternoon a tornado hit a London Street, It only took 1 minute to take the roofs and demolish whole half's of buildings. The good thing is that only 6 people were injured but around 100 people are without homes and may be for a while - so that has ruined their Christmas.

Eleven fire crews carrying 50 firefighters were called to the area and the London Ambulance helicopter was scrambled.

A witness of the event said the following:

I was actually in an attic room working at my desk on the computer and there was heavy rain and sleet and then the wind just really changed, said Tim Klotz, a local resident. I looked up through a skylight and debris was falling through the air. I heard what seemed like large, clay dominoes falling, which I think were roof tiles.

We have had some really bad weather in the UK lately even where i live we have had small tornado's in our area and winds that have gusted up to 100MPH. it is really amazing as ive never known weather in the uk to be this bad.

Ive attached and image of a house so you get the idea of how bad the damage was. See Below

--------------
(Quotes from daily telegraph)
Notice from jlhaslip:
merged similar topics

This very post was going to be about the same thing but you beat me! no fair!I heard about this when i got home from college today about 2pm. thought it was cool as at college, which is in upminster about 25 miles from london (probably a very bad guestimate) at about 11:15 there was a massive bolt of lightning, then thunder then super heavy rain and hail so it was probably the same storm system that hit london minus the tornado! Wish there was some sort of video of it.Its also weird because i had a dream about 3 or 4 tornados last night. coincidental i assume!

It's a sad thing, although I'm not sure why it's making international news. 6 people injured and 100 homeless is nothing compared to what many US tornadoes do, and that rarely ever even makes national news.

Yah, I heard about this pretty much the moment it happened :)... I'm not sure if this was too near my school, but it must have been because they cancelled the after-school detention(s).. so all my friends got out early :rolleyes: Of course, I wasn't affected by that 'cos I wasn't in detention... I was sitting at home suspended. I shall write a topic on why I was suspended soon... I swear.

Anyway, I think, although these are tragedys for anyone affected, that they're actually pretty cool. It really brings you back down to Earth and kills your ego to see somehing as powerful as nature just tear down everything. Sometimes we need a shock like that. It's also rather worrying... Global warming? I have no idea about the weather, enviroment or anything geographical... just not my stuff.

I saw on the news that the Tornado had actually ripped the slates off of roofs and threw them at people and cars... a very scarey kind of hail. I was sitting in my front room that day, and there was the heaviest thunder and lightning... just once. And then there was heavy rain and hail... for only a minute. Thank the fates that it was so short.

Anyway, any once else from London witness any of it?

It's a sad thing, although I'm not sure why it's making international news. 6 people injured and 100 homeless is nothing compared to what many US tornadoes do, and that rarely ever even makes national news.

We don't get tornadoes that are this big but the US gets them all the time; it's a big thing when it happens in our part of the world. Don't you think it would be amazing if monsoons started happening in the North Pole? You wouldn't expect everyone to go "other countries have them all the time, this is nothing."

Today has been the first day in uk (mostly Scotland) where we've had a break from the bad weather, we've had terrible flooding and transport problems.Most people don't know this, but UK gets quite a lot of tornado's each year, but most of them don't touch ground, so they dont hit the news / aren't noticed.