xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shibo

How To Connect Wireless In Linux

That varies dramatically depending on what distro you are using as to what tools are available to help you connect. Ubuntu etc come with various GUI systems to connect to WEP but not to WPA, and other distros have other ways, but most have an included way to get connected. Some hide it in system settings while others have applications to connect.Once we know what distro you're on we can give a bit more help.

Most of the new versions of linux have gui's to support wireless and make it easy to use. I use Suse 10.1 and it was built in and it also was built into 9.3. If it isnt built in just search google for your wireless card and you should easily find a program to implement the wireless connection

I don't have a linux but I have a PC and I just have a wireless card plugged on it. I think it'll be the same on a linux

Connecting to a wireless internet hotspot using Linux is different to connecting with Windows. Possibly even much more relable and stable then Windows too. :)

I suppose you have the wireless hardware installed. If you haven't change anything in the installation, you must be using kde for your desktop. (thus, my explanation will be based on kde)

First, you need to configure your card. Go to YAST->network devices->wireless. Then you configure based on campus configuration. (You may need to approach your campus staff if it's "not usual"). Basically, you need to set the gateway ip (or DHCP if it is), and set whether it is manage or access point.

Then, there are two methods actually (that I know) for you to connect to your WLAN. One is using kinternet (you can search it by filling the box in the "start menu"), and the other is dial up (search "dial up" in the box). Using either one, you need to set the active card to your wireless (mine is "eth0"). -In this part, it will be pretty simple-

Hopefully it will be useful. :)

-day

I think shibo is posted this only for credit / without description of hardware or linux its imposible to resolve that problem/ >....Hey man i just looking some Asus laptop in store ,how to conect externel dvd drive located in my home...>>>>Again: I have Lap/desk with Knoppix/centOS/Suse/RadHat/Mandriva Wirelles adapter :orinoco/arcon/asus/tpLinkInternet provider is .... Thanx shibo for loosing my and other people time /just press f1/