xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NigaiAmaiYume

Tim Hortons (canadian Coffee Chain) Quitting My Service

Well, I've been working at Tim Hortons (Canadian Coffee Chain) for 15 months now. Graveyard shift, which involves me being alone (Except the baker) from 12pm until 5am, and responsible for doing all the front cleaning (Sweeping, mopping, plus a few other chores they can't/DON'T do during the day), AND serve customers all by myself.The job is minimum wage, which in Ontario is $7.85 an hour, plus night premium, which is $0.85 an hour.I FINALLY got my 12 month review a few weeks ago (Which is one of the problems...), which involved a pay raise. I don't remember what "average" would be considered (I think you get a 75 if you do everything "to expectations"), but I got an 85% review on the numbered scale.I now get *drumroll* $8.85 an hour for doing the work of pretty much a person and a half (TWO people if you count the NORMAL Tim Hortons teenie worker...) for 8 hours a night, 5 nights a week.In a job that is super-understaffed, moves you around without asking (I did an afternoon shift two weeks ago, just found it on my schedule and had to work out how to change my sleep so I didn't hurt myself), and is 90% staffed by people that JUST DON'T CARE.I'm a Type A perfectionist, by the way, that is actually CONCERNED about the happiness, wellbeing, and health of my customers, when not super-stressed and interupted from cleaning.After finding out all my hard work at trying to keep the place running was worth 20 cents an hour (AND that I would have NOTHING saved up with all my labor with which to pay for school next semester, putting me even FURTHER behind on graduating...), I realize I NEED to get somewhere else. Especially since a few of my customers keep recommending other jobs that are willing to pay better for people willing to work graveyard.Right now, I need this. I need the money, I'm just overstressed from the job, and overall sick of feeling bitter at everything.The problem is, I'm scared. (Oh, and I feel like I'm abandoning the managers when they need all the help they can get, but the bitterness is helping there...) So scared, that I'm currently looking at my resume on the computer, trying to convince myself to update it and print it off so I can drop it off at the first place recommended to me (Which promises to pay $10-$12 starting, with an increase to $15 or so in three months). I haven't even worked up to GOING there yet.Why? Lots of reasons. Low self-esteem, although I'm working on that. Fear of a new situations, which plays on my Clinical Depression and makes it hard for me to deal with stress. Stress is also added by the fact this new job would be night cleaning at a meat production plant, a TOTALLY new setting for me, and one you'd think would have HIGH sanitation standards. And I just plain don't know what will be expected of me: I work best when I know the hows and whys, so either totally structured by them or TOTALLY up to me.But I've got a TON of cleaning experiences in other settings (Hotel as well as Timmies), and honestly ENJOY making a place clean and organized, as well as a SUPER attention to detail. (One of my flaws: I spend too much time on things, making sure they're up to MY standards). I've even worked in a factory before, doing Quality Control for DuPont two summers.I guess right now I just need reassurances that I'm doing the right thing. That MY health and MY needs are more important that loyalty to a place that refuses to treat me well. That I DO have the strength to start over again in a job that honestly can't be any more stressful than making sandwiches to drunks that walk in off the street at four in the morning when I'm an hour behind on getting the store ready for the morning.Wish me luck!

That's a bummer to hear nigai. Don't blame yourself for this coffee shop's bad business practices (coffee at 3 am ug).

Also you don't need to feel like your abandoning them, because if they are treating their hard working employee's badly I would walk and tell them to drop my last paycheck in the mail.

Also I would be pissed as to why I am bring switch around without being told a head of time. Instead of finding out 1 day before it happens. Which I doubt is the case. (maybe)

Why? Lots of reasons. Low self-esteem, although I'm working on that. Fear of a new situations, which plays on my Clinical Depression and makes it hard for me to deal with stress. Stress is also added by the fact this new job would be night cleaning at a meat production plant, a TOTALLY new setting for me, and one you'd think would have HIGH sanitation standards. And I just plain don't know what will be expected of me: I work best when I know the hows and whys, so either totally structured by them or TOTALLY up to me.

That should be easy just ask them those questions in the interview or do some research on them and see what they are like as employers. Or you can ask those that work there and see how they feel about the job and what not.

I wouldn't be scared whats the worse that could happen you don't get so you move on. That why you pick 3-4 places that are hiring and submitting your application then if you don't get it you got the other ones to rely on as well.

A good suggestion would be ot have a friend along for the moral support when you drop it off and to keep your mind off of it while doing it. Almost like delivering newspapers to 100 different houses.

Hopefully this helps you out and make sure to let us know.

i concur with your decision, nigai. :) you should be looking out for YOUR OWN BEST INTERESTS first and foremost. it seems you have already weighed all the factors you need to make the right decision. just make sure that you will be happy with the work you get into next; and make the shift final (that is, finalize your resignation) when you are already certain in getting BETTER employment elsewhere. loyalty can only go so far to consider staying, so don't let it hinder you. if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, go for it! :)and it's okay to be scared of the shift. just don't let it petrify you into not doing anything for your own good. i'm quite sure you will make a good employee (with a better employer) because of the work ethic you are showing in your current job. and ask also if you are qualified for hazard pay and night differentials (or if any are offered) especially if you still are going to work during midnight shifts. :rolleyes: stress is normal in any work, but if you find something which you can enjoy, then it won't be more play than work -- and it would be less stressful. :D as for luck, i wish you all the best. :rolleyes:

If they don't think you are worth that much to them and only give you a 20 cent raise then they obviously won't learn until too late after you quit. I think you should find a nice job, then give them notice that you are quitting so when you do quit you go straight to working at the other place. If you make more money good for you, Tim Horton's will have to find someone else which I'm sure can't be that hard and if it is well that's tough luck for them. I'm always afraid of what to say when it comes to things like this but it isn't so bad once it's over with and you can move on to bigger and better things. Hope everything goes well, good luck.

OMG find another job, how can you work there for more than a year/day!??
wicked......

That's a bummer to hear nigai. Don't blame yourself for this coffee shop's bad business practices (coffee at 3 am ug).
Also you don't need to feel like your abandoning them, because if they are treating their hard working employee's badly I would walk and tell them to drop my last paycheck in the mail.

Also I would be pissed as to why I am bring switch around without being told a head of time. Instead of finding out 1 day before it happens. Which I doubt is the case. (maybe)
That should be easy just ask them those questions in the interview or do some research on them and see what they are like as employers. Or you can ask those that work there and see how they feel about the job and what not.

I wouldn't be scared whats the worse that could happen you don't get so you move on. That why you pick 3-4 places that are hiring and submitting your application then if you don't get it you got the other ones to rely on as well.

A good suggestion would be ot have a friend along for the moral support when you drop it off and to keep your mind off of it while doing it. Almost like delivering newspapers to 100 different houses.

Hopefully this helps you out and make sure to let us know.

lol......coffee at 3 am :)
Edited by quakesand (see edit history)

Hi Niagi,you really need to move on from that place...... You are clearly more capable then they are giving you credit for..... You sound very much like my partner and a bit of a perfectionist, you need to prepare your self to think that you are far better then what you are doing now for the money. Just remember that what you want is to move forward so you get your self a job that shows you the respect and appreciation that you deserve......No One should ever feel that they are deserting a company when they look for a new job because the company should have taken better care of its valuable staff. they are the ones that have deserted you....Go for it Niagi, do your research and look around something will show up when you least expect it and you should just take the chance, cause if you don't you'll never know where it may lead to.Good luck and remember your worth more no matter what anyone says.

Looks like you are on the wrong side of the country. I have been told that if you go to Alberta you can make big money. They have such a labour shortage that jobs that are usually minimum wage are at least 10 bucks a hour, usually closer to 15. Then again I remember hearing something about Alberta being the most expensive place to live in Canada. SeriouslyIf you were a worker and a half I am sure your managesr will miss you, but I doubt they will feel abandoned. And if you don't leave behind any bad feeling with them, they ought to make a good job reference in the future.I don't know what the job market is like in Ontario, but farther west (I am from Saskatchewan) especially in the rural area, you can't get anyone older than 16 to work for minimum wage.