xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
paulmason411

Ie And Firefox Layout Differences

I have had a go at making a website using CSS to dictate the layout (no tables used) and it works quite nicely in firefox but when i open it in IE it completely mangles the whole layout. Can someone tell me some techniques to prevent this and maybe point me to some helpful pages.Thanks.

First of all, there are some good references at the w3schools.com site. http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7567
Secondly, there are some fairly knowledgable folks here. Post a help request in the HTML sub-forum of the computer Forum. Provide a link to your page and the css code and let us see what you have done so far.
It makes it a bit easier if the css is in the html page, but if it is in an external file, that's okay, too.
IE has a problem with Margins and Padding, sort of. If you don't have a correct Doc Type Declaration, IE goes into Quirks mode and guesses at your layout, so lets see some code and we'll help you work through this.
Also, describe as best you can, the problems as you see them, so we know what to correct and modify.

It's quite crap that there are so many different browsers and all return different errors to your website, look at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ in Internet Explorer and in Firefox or Opera as example. Anyway the best way to fix problems like this is to keep trying, look at your code and see if all commands you use are supported by all the browsers which will be seeing your web site, and believe me, getting your site work on every browser is a huge pain in the *bottom* which could have been avoided by the company's who made the browsers themselves...

I know the feeling currently working on my own little css design right now, Hopefully once I have finish this site and tweaked it to all three browsers I will have a tutorial up for it.

Like Florisjuh said it takes time and alot of patience to get it, sometimes if you use the right tags the problem fixes itself.

thats just a few weeks worth of work

My Css file will be hitting the 10KB mark amd close to 400 lines of code :).

REMOVE LINK FOR SEO AND NO LONGER A VALID LINK

Best thing to do is work one browser and then copy the files and then work them for the next browser and so on.

Also I recommend this link as well these are a bunch of tools you can use to help get a cleaner design.

http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?shoc=42607=

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

-first of all, work with Firefox (or Opera) as your testing browser, as these respect the web standards, NOT Internet Explorer, as many people think-then, validate your markup & css code, it might solve the problem (partially, at least)-post your problems here and we`ll try to help you...there are several known IE bugs regarding rendering of css...

First of all, get rid of one of the Body tags.

Second, the Input requires a "name=".

Third, different Browsers set various margins and padding for elements differently, so I usually set them equal to 0 in the body tag of the css and that inherits throughout the page unless I change them for an element. That might make a difference.

And I see that you are setting negative margins on a lot of things. Let the Document Flow define your positions is the best way to handle them. I rarely need negative margins or absolute positioning.

Run the URL through the w3c validator to see what the errors are. And the css through jigsaw.

w3c validator

CSS validator

how to change mozilla firefox according to internet explorer

I have create one web page layout in css based but internet explore run my web page is correct but mozilla firefox not correct output why? Please guide me.

-reply by rakesh

German google default

When I enter google search it changes the domain automatically to .De (German domains) and shows German version of that website. I have tried the options settings advanced etc. To no avail, help this is driving me crazy.I love and adore firefox 3 but this is a nightmare. Thank-you

-reply by Marianne Kiss

how to fix equal ,margin in IE& firefox

How to fix equal ,margin in ie firefox

-question by michel

firefox and ie layout help

I have a website which looks great in firefox but pushed left in IE I'm not too great with the IE firefox difference if someone could help..

The website is made in PHP and HTML and CSS

atatriumlabs.Com/game/

atatriumlabs.Com/game/templates/style.Css

I will make IE use a different style.Css once I can get something to work.

-question by Matt