xisto Community
popac

Open Source What do you think about?????????

I agree with you xboxrules.WIndows has so many bugs and USED to crash every dayNow I dont have a problem wiht it crashing but the firewall is so horrible in SP2Oh yeah! what did you meen when you said that windows XP has a hidden feature called "eat itself"???

well, I ran into this sort of program in Windows XP, by then I had 3 layers of security on my WinXP, and my computer was virus free but, I clicked one of the system programs (forgot which one) but my bootloader and my Windows died. I had to reinstall and lose EVERYTHING!Now, I have my most important stuff on Linux!Alot of people (including experts) recommend that you DO NOT INSTALL SP2, it's a waste of space and it creates more bugs but it does have a FEW fixes.xboxrulz

Well that sucks for me, mine came along with SP2...Linux rules man, but the thing's bloated. Don't get mewrong, but the only system I can probably think of withspeed in its name is Gentoo. That's it. And that's becauseit's a processor optimized system on the GCC. Plus, thereare 10000 device drivers and the kernel doubles in sizeevery few years. Ok, pretty soon the kernel might be2.7 GB Linux Kernel 7.0! ~Now how do I get that on my486? It's losing speed and what it originally came out for.Pretty soon the old systems will be running obselete linux.The thing needs to be tuned down a little. Another thing.The syntax. It kills me. Ever been to the console with makeand came back alive and sane? The gcc & make don't makea nice combination together, they spit off errors like a fountain.Not to mention gas doesn't help.Open source rules and forever shall! But when you have 10,000people working on an OS, there are going to be A LOT of patches.I think it's better if we restarted the os movement. This timekeep the code clean (AND READABLE). And use asm. A lotof asm. You're running base level code with compilers whichmake a nice 22Kb Hello World program (win32,DevC++,gcc)?Skip it. Stick to old skool if you have to. And the mass of programmerswho want to contribute can provide code with less than 10 sourcefiles. Keep it neat, simple, and easy to maintain and understand.

osknockout, thankyou for supporting Linux, but the kernel itself is not bloated, it's just the distribution adds too much stuff (sometimes). Yes, Linux is sometimes picky about the case-sensitive syntax, but bear w/ it.If you have any suggestions, try contacting Linus (creator of Linux) about it.xboxrulz

Microsoft hires one of the finest programmers, developers, designers.. and on top of that, there the work is organised and ther is a proper planning. As compared to opensource, it throughly lacks proper planning.

So you just say that you know nothing. Open source & Free software fondation have even better programers, it have WHOLE WORLD to work on it, make changes and if they are good they are there in next version. Tipicaly if some bug is found n linux pach comes in 1-2 days, on windows it takes a mont, in the mean time there are more 100000 of bugs so... Even the newest, BIG research showed that open source software have more bugfixes and faster development.

The syntax. It kills me. Ever been to the console with makeand came back alive and sane? The gcc & make don't make
a nice combination together, they spit off errors like a fountain.
Not to mention gas doesn't help.

End you forgot that microsoft put some of his own tnihgs in C++ so it can be beter for world domination. One of profesor in my country said. Make a program where ever you vish, you can use notepad if you like, bit if that dont want to compile with gcc you vill not pass the grade. So gcc is universal, you vrite program on it and it vill work where ever you vant. Write it on Microsoft and you got Microsoft only program.

Popac Solaris IS NOT associated to Linux except that both are UNIX

Yes Solaris is traditional UNIX such as Free BSD but BSD´s are under BSD licence, end solaris is not. Solaris excisted before Linux. UNIX becomed closed code, so there comes Richie. When Richard found Free Software Fondation he make all of program that he needed, except of Kernel. While he have much throuble with it´s own GNU HURD Linus cemed up with his kernel. Now kernel (Linux) and the aplications (GNU) are open source and freedom of which Richard was talking is finaly there for people that want to take it.
There are a lot´s of changes that are comeing in future. Many of them will need more of procesor power, and if you want to walk with tehnology you will use Linux. What can I say whwn I see that windows does not have his own FTP (it comes from BSD, can´t you imagine). Alsow so popular IE can not read PNG pictures. What can I say. They can not keep in touch vith fast tehnology developing as vell as Linux does. . . may be theu are becoming scared, who knows...

Open source seems better than closed source, because here we are talking about large growing community, that is better and better from day to day...Try to visit https://www.blender.org/, for me this is the BEST open source community in the history of www... I will open here croatian blender community on Xisto, and also english version with my work...

Windows is a bit of useless and hard to use **** that should of never been born. However, linux is a diffrent story.

But this way I have to make fun of many of my friends that came up with ?blue screen of death?.Just kiding, my job is to say people what is linux and to make them clear that it is not so hard. On the other hand Win people say Windows is beter, and when you ask why, they say jyst something like Becouse, or It is, or It is simple...My point is this: Do not just say linux is better, Say, linux can do this, it have this and this... The first think is one that windows gEys do.

I see your point popac, but to actually persuade a person (especially if they learn how to use Windows when they were young), you need to give them benefits of Linux; like it's stabler than Windows and most software is free; they will see the value. You can't just say what it can do because that's not enough.xboxrulz

I can definitley belive that an open source project would be a lot more stable than a regular closed-source(if thats the right word) project. Most of them would be stable because aloth of people can add on features to the project, unlike microsoft or apple.And i could see many people getting it because1. most are free. and 2. there are many variations of the project to choose from. Although i can see that linux, on the other hand, is not very userfriendly, and is widely used for sever purposes only.For instance, I think that Mandrake provides mysql an other major services to help server users start up their site right off the bat.

Linux is getting user-friendly as the day goes on. The only Linux that I find unstable is Mandrake. Also, Fedora isn;t user-friendly when it comes to Samba configuration and KDE usage.xboxrulz