xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lewisM

Ftp Problems updated from last topic

Ok so i just created my account, all is up and running fine.

I tried to click the link at the bottom of the creation page (white background, text saying all the details, that one :rolleyes:), tried to log in and it wouldnt let me, i tried the password i had set for it and my forum pass, no luck :)

So any way, i clicked on the FTP link just underneath it and the page cannot be found :S

I went to the homepage of my site and saw the thing about going to cpanel, tried it again there and it still wont let me.
It says on the page that i should check a PM, but i havnt recieved one :S

Whats gone wrong?
any help would be appreciated!

*edit*

its taken the credits, so im presuming its done its thing =/

*edit again*

doh, got it sorted, someone please delete this, so sorry for the waste of time :rolleyes:

*edit once again*

read this bit
the FTP is still playing up, what should the address be for the FTP, tried the usual  sitename.trap17.com and ftp.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/with no luck, what should this be?

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Hi there. I think the problem you mention in your last edit is due to the fact that you had "/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi; before "yoursite.trap17.com" with a subdomain like this you dont usually need the www. so you should simply try  sitename.trap17.com  and remember to use your CPanel login details not your forum details :) Should work just fine.

Hi there. I think the problem you mention in your last edit is due to the fact that you had "/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi; before "yoursite.trap17.com" with a subdomain like this you dont usually need the www. so you should simply try "sitename.trap17.com" and remember to use your CPanel login details not your forum details :) Should work just fine.

still no luck, when i try that format with IE i get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage Most likely causes: You are not connected to the Internet. The website is encountering problems. There might be a typing error in the address. What you can try: Diagnose Connection Problems More information This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including: Internet connectivity has been lost. The website is temporarily unavailable. The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable. The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain. If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section. For offline users You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages. To view subscribed feeds Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view. To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages) Click Tools , and then click Work Offline. Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

And when i try it with firefox i get an alert box with: 421 unable to set up secure anonymous FTP :S Am i supposed to be using a FTP program rather than a browser?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
All copied words should be in QUOTES

Anonymous FTP is disabled for all Xisto hosting accounts. You must login using authenticated procedure. Unless you have authentication profile set under your browser (which is very dangerous these days due to browser hijack and spyware) you cannot login anonymous, which is a default login procedure for all browsers.The simplest way to solve this issue is to have FTP client rather than FTP via a browser. Xisto Readme has two tutorials about how to set FTP client using FileZilla and WsFTP.You can also upload and download files using your cPanel.

Also, do not put http:\\ or ftp:\\ infront of your FTP address when using a client.When using a client all you have to type for your address is;ftp.yoursite.com. IF you made a secondary FTP account you'll need to type this for the username;username@yoursite.comMake sure you remember that :]. Good luck.

You can use a browser to upload but I have used Firefox and it seems it only allows you to download a file at a time by using the save as target function, you are not allowed to download a folder. Should you want to avoid using a client, open up your windows explorer and type the following; edit as per your own details

A message box should prompt you asking you to input your password, and after that you are good to go. I hope I managed to help you

have you tried downloading an FTP program such as SmartFTP or Filezilla? Usually that helps. Again what the other members have been saying dont put ftp:// in your ftp url unless you are setting one up in windows under Network Places.

Thanks for all the help people, but it kind of dawned on me today that for what i'm actualy using this site for, its not worth wasting space, bandwidth, time and all that.I will how ever stick around the forums, it seems like you've got a good thing going :)Thanks again for your help but yea, its just not working out.