xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shunkan Idou

Cheap Graphics Card Upgrade

What is your current one like? Are you planning on using it to enhance the quality of your games? There are a lot of good ones out there, I would stick with a Radeon 128 or 256MB. They are cheap and I have enjoyed mine so far. I would choose PCI over AGP too if you can.

Yeah, you first have to check what type of slot you motherboard has available for the graophics card. Then just go to the store and get one that fits that slot and has designated ram (which all separate cards do). Definitely get a card with atleast 128 mb preferable 256 mb or else you will still run into the ram issue you currently have.

I would choose PCI over AGP too if you can.

:rolleyes: I am assuming you mean PCI-e over AGP

Definitely get a card with atleast 128 mb preferable 256 mb or else you will still run into the ram issue you currently have.

:)

Anyway:
I am not an expert on Graphics cards by any means, but I did managed to find a 7600GT, which looks good. ( http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=70 )

Also in your price range are the x1600s, but if you go for one of those, get the 256Mb version, as the 512Mb version isn't worth it, unless you do something like video editing.

If you were looking for something cheaper, there are cards like the 6800 (nVidia) and the Radeon 9600 still can just about play the latest games, but not at high FPS.

Listen to other peoples adivce over mine though, as I said before, I don't know much.
Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)

i'd go with a 7600GS. it wont play the latest games on the highest quality but it'll do you good for $130. might be hard to find one as cheap as $130, but at my local store its about that. its AUD btw, if you're in the US it'll be much cheaper, you might even be able to get a 7900GS if your lucky. if u can afford the jump to the 7900GS its well worth it. you could say the power of it is almost dbl that of the 7600GS.

Integrated graphics card sucks very badly. I remember how a friend of mine was using Intel Extreme Graphics and it was so bad, within less than a month, he could not play the Sims 2 and we all know how much requirements does that game need and it is not really that intensive. Another thing bad about integrated graphics card is that you are pretty much stuck with that graphics card unless you change your motherboard. I think when it comes to hardware, not bundled hardware, you get pretty much for what you get. Glad to know you have found what you want though :lol: But when it comes to Graphics card, I would prefer Nvidia or ATI. These are the 2 brands which I trust fully in.

If you want to go pretty cheap, but you are still looking for a decent upgrade from your stock on-board graphics card, you could buy a GeForce Graphics Card. I bought one (can't remember the model number and everything) and it was $50, and it came with 128MB memory, even though most of the newer more advanced graphics cards come with 256MB of memory.

If you can pick up a GeForce 7600 GT or GS then that'll be the best bang for the buck. That card has 12 pipelines and is based on a fairly new architecture so you're gonna get all the shader support. My cousin has this card and it's way better than the ATI cards at the $100-$150 range.