xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Question Regarding My Site

OK, so it isn't really my site. It was really created by someone else, and they wrote about 30 pages of content, and kept the site running for a good 4-5 months, then i became the co-webmaster and helped him run the site posting news etc....well about march of 2006, he stoped getting online at all, updating the site at all, and not doing anything for the site. So march of 2007 i plan on taking the site over completley, deleting his FTP acounts, his e-mail accounts, and changing the cpanel passwords, and changing the passwords for features on the site. and if it comes to it, blocking his IP address from the site.And i was wondering, if he were to come here to Xisto and make a complaint that i took the site over, would there be any action taken against me? the site is hosted in my Xisto account, but the domain is in his account, but i plan on logging into his yahoo account and transfering it to my domain account and i will be shipping him 20 $ and a nasty letter. but that's beside the pointso basically, would any action be taken against me, or the website that is hosted on my account if he were to come here and complain to the admins, because basically i am tired of even having him listed as the webmaster when he doesn't do anything for the site.i also plan on e-mailing him and sending him a letter like in january saying that it's obvious that he hasn't done anything for the site so why not just give it to me.any advice/answer to my question?

and if it comes to it, blocking his IP address from the site.

Is there any reason why you have to block him from accessing the site/cpanel completely?

And i was wondering, if he were to come here to Xisto and make a complaint that i took the site over, would there be any action taken against me? the site is hosted in my Xisto account, but the domain is in his account, but i plan on logging into his yahoo account and transfering it to my domain account and i will be shipping him 20 $ and a nasty letter. but that's beside the point

Exactly. That is beside Xisto's point. Hosting is controlled by you. But legally he still owns the domain (since he paid for it in the first place). Unless you two have a written contract of taking over the domain and domain registered email account, he can simply login into domain control panel and change to wherever he'd like.

so basically, would any action be taken against me, or the website that is hosted on my account if he were to come here and complain to the admins, because basically i am tired of even having him listed as the webmaster when he doesn't do anything for the site.

Hosting resolution is managed by Xisto. You are the hosting account operator. Anything else out side of Xisto is your agenda. Xisto does not solve domain name/domain account dispute unless it's Xisto - Web Hosting account.

i also plan on e-mailing him and sending him a letter like in january saying that it's obvious that he hasn't done anything for the site so why not just give it to me.

WOW. That's bit harsh don't you think? It's like saying since he hasn't drove a car for a while, and you maintained it all this time, you should be the rightful owner of a car. I don't know. That's something you and he should resolved it. Xisto does not have the right to decide which one owns the domain. He can simply report your behavior to Yahoo Domain Registrar and retain it back if he feels that you do not have the rightful ownership. There's nothing you cannot do after that since the domain name is associated with his payment information.

This looks like a very very harsh way of doing things. I don't see a reason why you should lock him out of the FTP, CPanel ... etc, after all this is still his site and you are just helping him with the updates. And the worst of all is that you block his ip address from the site, that is totally uncalled for, all these just because he has not come online and update the site since March 2006? I believe things could be handled in a proper way. You could just send him an email, not a nasty one, talking about his contribution to the site and his commitments, maybe from there you will know what would be the next step. If you can handle these 2 among yourself in an peaceful way, it would be the best. If he doesn't reply, I still think you should not lock him out of the site in that wayJust a little advice coming from me

Talk to him about it and see if you can get it in writing that you can take over the site. You don't have any legal right to commandeer the site if he was the one who made it without his permission.So just talk to him, how bad could it be to list two people as a webmaster instead of one?

i understand you intended this post for Xisto admins i thought i migh as well drop a comment , it would not have been much of a problem or caused confusion if you had an agreement between you two that allows you the sole ownership of the site if the other one becomes inactive for a specified period of time, but since it is not your original work as you have told it seems very inappropriate to kick out your partner and block his ip, as buffalo has mentioned if you are using and maintaining someone else's car doent mean it will finally become yours or you can take over its ownership without prior permission from the rightful owner , i understand you may have done more work on the site then what he may have done to develop it , but i believe it is only fair if you talk to him and explain to him that you find it difficult to tolerate if he behaves more like a sleeping partner or something, and if it is going to be the case then you can ask for the sole ownership of the site, i think it is not so nice to delete his ftp and e-mail accounts and change the control panel passwords without his knowledge or permission from my time here at Xisto i have known you even though we wer not friends i sort of have some respect for you for what you do at Xisto so i only hope you wont make a decision that not only may hurt you but may change your image here at Xisto too