xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Phi

What Is....bandwidth? pls help lol

Can somone tell me what bandwidth is i dont get what it is or how it works. Can some one fill me in on the details , how it works , and why is it required? Thanks -_-:D Help would be appreciated

Bandwidth is an amount of data transfered over the net. They use this in webhosting so they don't waste all of the system resoursces. Some ISP's use this to limit how much system recources you use. I hope I cleared this up for you a little.

I understand it this way :-

Someone accesses a 20kb file on your site from any webiste then you've used up 20kb of your bandwidth. 200 visitors access that 20kb file, then you've used up 200x20kb bandwidth that 4000kb, just about 4mb bandwidth. Makes sense.

Hi:What about scripts? If somebody accesses one of my pages that uses a javascript, how much bandwith does that use up?I also have the same question for java applets. I have several java aplet games on my site, and I am curious as to how they use up bandwith.Thanks for your previous explanation...it was very goodl.

some scripts that use exessive file transfers will eat up your bandwidth. File downloads, images, and pages all use bandwidth. Anotherwords, think of it as your house's power meter. If you use too much, you get shutdown, or have to pay extra. Every month you get a certain ammount of bandwidth. If you exeed that, your site goes down untill next month. do you get it now?

I heard a good analogy for Bandwidth once I hope this helpsOk so bandwith is like a highway with cars driving on it. The highway is the network(the internet) and the cars are the data(data is like kilobytes and megabytes and stuff). So you know how there is highways with 2 lanes and 3 lanes and 4 lanes. Its the same with computer data, the more bandwidth you have to use, the more data/cars that can be moved/transferred.So lets say your "out of bandwidth"Its kinda like...you're highway has no more room for cars/data

let's consider this:Everything i write here are saved into a file and used up some space in the harddisk of Xisto. And everyone who wish to see this page need to load from the harddisk of Xisto. And everytime you view a page, you used up a certain amout of Xisto's allowed bandwidth. That is, if this page is 40kb and u viewed it one time u used up 40kb and twice is 80kb. 1000 members seeing this page will use up 40mb of bandwidth.So do you understand what bandwidth means now?

Bandwidth is the amount of data opened on a particular website.

Say John opened 20kb from example.com then John would have used up 20kb of example.com 's bandwidth.

Then if Becky opens 30kb from example.com then she's used up 30 kb of example.com 's bandwidth.

Together they used up 50kb.

----------

That's quite simple.

Now...

John opens a page from domain.com which is 5kb big. In this are lots of examples of the code <script src="code.js"> </script> and <embed src="flash.swf"> </embed>

There are 3 js files and 4 flash files which together have a total size of 500kb. When someone opens up the page they'll be using 505kb of bandwidth.

----------

Flora opens up the page mark.trap17.com/mark2/ which is 3kb big. In this page there is one external (outside) .js link. When she opens the page she only uses 3kb of your bandwidth as that javascript file is not on your site.

----------

The bandwidth used on your site is the amount of data opened on a your site.

Well bandwidth is the allowed data transfer to per customer if you are having broadband.then you can leearn more about this from your service provider.if you think bandwidth in electronics theoy it is 0.707 of cutoff frequency value.hope that helps.:(

so you mean when someone views my site it uses up bandwidth? or download a file and refresh everytime they view the site it uses up bandwidth. Im kinda understanding it but not fully

(1) A range within a band of frequencies or wavelengths.(2) The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. For digital devices, the bandwidth is usually expressed in bits per second(bps) or bytes per second. For analog devices, the bandwidth is expressed in cycles per second, or Hertz (Hz). The bandwidth is particularly important for I/O devices. For example, a fast disk drive can be hampered by a bus with a low bandwidth. This is the main reason that new buses, such as AGP, have been developed for the PC. hope u get it :(

Since this question is related, I'll ask it in here, rather than start a new thread for it.I'm understanding the concept of bandwidth. Everytime someone looks at your page, bandwidth gets used up. The bigger the page, the more that is used up.So, is there a limit with the hosting here? I haven't started a site yet, but is bandwidth something I should be concerned with here? Based on what you've noticed anyway?